Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich make offer for porto's juan quintero

I can''t see us letting Wes go this season; he deserves a last crack at the top flight - but we do need to look at his long-term replacement sooner rather than later; no worries about his skills but age is slowly starting to catch up with him, and with a player who relies on a burst of speed to pull off his tricks, that will affect him more than it would a slower, less mobile player.

Realistically this is probably his last season of being able to compete regularly at Premiership level - maybe he could be a backup next season or a couple more year in the SPL but we''ll need someone younger and just as good to come in for him eventually - and we aren''t going to get that without spending decent money.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]If we do sign a player from an Italian club I hope they are better than Arturo Lupoli.[/quote]You mean the player that Henry expected to take over from him when he retired, and that Wenger once described as the best finished at the club?Funny how things work out in the end, and it goes to show that talent doesn''t always equate to the final end product...

Back on track however, Quintero would probably be one of the most skillful players we''ve EVER seen in a Norwich shirt if the signing does actually happen, and it would also represent an understanding that Wes is getting towards the end of his career and Quintero would be a perfect replacement for the longer term (although I think he''d be gone in a year or two if he performs like he can, probs to a side like Man City or Chelsea).

I think the general consensus of Quintero is ''not as good as the hype''. The player agreed a deal with Bologna back in June, only for the club to fail to agree a deal with Porto - they wanted €15m for him after one season on loan, with a €2m up front fee.

This doesn''t suggest Porto think he is going to become the player many expected.

He''d be a good addition for Norwich of course (no that there is even a hint of truth in the rumour) but he certainly isn''t destined to be the €30m player people were talking about not too long ago,

Even if he ended up just being a slightly more ''flair'' version of Wes, I think most fans would be more than satisfied with that, never mind him still having the potential to be a top class player under the right manager.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Even if he ended up just being a slightly more ''flair'' version of Wes, I think most fans would be more than satisfied with that, never mind him still having the potential to be a top class player under the right manager.[/quote]That well-used maxim about having two players for every position is quite valid. Nobody else in the squad is close to being able to do what Wes can do, and he''s not going to start every match this year. In my opinion, signing his long-term replacement now would be a very savvy piece of business. If the quality of creative midfielders improves, more chances will be made for strikers and midfielders alike, and the ''clearness'' of those chances is likely to be greater too.In summary, if you''ve got two magicians in the squad, they will pull more rabbits out of the hat in the form of excellent goalscoring opportunities. Stick chances on a plate, and even mediocre top-flight strikers will be able to put them away.

Would be a superb goal addition to the squad...would most definitely be playing ahead of hoolahan given the fee he would demand.

Personally think it''s just the agent trying to get some interest in his player as he knows he won''t be getting any game time but we shall see.

[quote user="DEB never forgotten"]

Looks like Porto have signed a replacement for Quintero today - and allocated him No 10, Quintero''s squad number.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://desporto.sapo.pt/futebol/primeira_liga/artigo/2015/08/05/dani-osvaldo-oficializado-no-fc-porto&prev=search

[/quote]Not a direct replacement position-wise, I don''t think, but if they''ve given him Quintero''s squad number then that speaks volumes! The plot thickens...

It''s pretty clear that Quintero is leaving Porto - the fact Porto and Bologna came so close to a relatively cheap deal shows that.

What isn''t clear is whether Norwich have even considered this player - personally I highly, highly doubt it. Quintero seems to be the complete opposite of the Norwich transfer policy of British based players, or hard grafters.

Also, whether the Colombian''s fancy skills would work out well for him in the Premier League are also questionable - hard to do step overs when you are being booted up into the air by Clattermole.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It''s pretty clear that Quintero is leaving Porto - the fact Porto and Bologna came so close to a relatively cheap deal shows that.

What isn''t clear is whether Norwich have even considered this player - personally I highly, highly doubt it. Quintero seems to be the complete opposite of the Norwich transfer policy of British based players, or hard grafters.

Also, whether the Colombian''s fancy skills would work out well for him in the Premier League are also questionable - hard to do step overs when you are being booted up into the air by Clattermole.[/quote]Should we just sell Wes and Redders, then? I would have thought that someone with the ''X-factor'' to change a game in the blink of an eye might be a worthwhile investment. I agree that the personality and culture aspects would make this unlikely, but shouldn''t we dare to dream?

You might be right, Bethnal - it does seem a bit left-field, but then so did the Argentinian guy Larrivey - he was presumably designed to fit a ''big striker'' remit (but failed); maybe this is a No10 search and is throwing up some unexpected names.

At least it''s fun to contemplate such moves however unlikely they may be, but there''s always scope for unusual/left-field signings.

Larrivey was obviously looking for a remunerative end-of-career move with a bit of an unknown challenge thrown in. So it isn''t hard to see why he might fancy coming. But a 22 year old Colombian international is a different kettle of fish altogether. Everybody talks about what there might be in it for us, but nobody addresses the question of what it offers him if anything. Why on earth would he even think of coming to CR? Can anyone tell me?

Feedthewolf -

Hasn''t Hoolahan been criticised almost his entire time at Norwich for not tracking back, trying to go past everyone and holding onto the ball too long? If people think he is bad for those reasons then someone like Quintero is a whole other level. Redmond is a classic English winger - but even he gets criticised for not hitting his crosses in early enough or trying too much.

Personally I love a nice flair player and will excuse their dalliances on the ball for the moments of magic they bring. But the Premier League hasn''t been a particularly happy hunting ground for South American number 10s in the past, although that is changing as the football evolves.

Branstone -

Seems strange a search for a number 10 has suddenly, apparently, appeared - especially as this isn''t a position AN has really used that much. I love a good left field signing and Quintero would be the most left field of them all.

Westcoastcanary -

If Quintero would go to Bologna, a team hardly tearing up trees in Italy as they have just been promoted to Serie A via a play-off (hmmm), then he would come to Norwich. And Quintero did agree personal terms with Bologna earlier this summer only for the clubs to fail to agree.

The Premier League is the highest paying and most watched league in the world. Whilst Norwich wouldn''t be his dream destination, he knows a couple of good seasons here and then the real prestigious clubs will be calling.

I do agree that it is dreaming though, as I think he is far, far from the type of player Norwich are targeting right now. But I think he''d agree to come to Norwich should the opportunity arise.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I can''t see this one happening either, but you could say that, like RvW and Fer, Quintero might see us as a way to break into the PL on a two year contract.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts!

I''ll never understand the obsession some have with getting rid of Wes. Bringing in someone better to compete with him or someone younger to be backup/grow to first choice, I get.

I don''t see any reason to get rid of Wes before he retires. He''s 33 and doesn''t seem to be suffering any loss of pace, by all accounts he is one of the fittest players at the club as well and his game doesn''t rely on being overly quick anyway. He can easily keep playing to 35+ and he has proven his worth time and time again for this club.

Hughtons biggest mistake was dropping him and not using him correctly in the right games IMO. His vaunted unbeaten run was playing a 451 with Wes in every, or nearly every, game if memory serves. He looks in great form and Neil has got him shooting more and scoring goals, the one thing he has always been criticised for.

Even if we did bring in some wonder kid or another player of Wes''s ability or better, why on earth would we get rid of him? You need a back up for every position and we know how difficult finding one Wes like player has been.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Feedthewolf -

Hasn''t Hoolahan been criticised almost his entire time at Norwich for not tracking back, trying to go past everyone and holding onto the ball too long? If people think he is bad for those reasons then someone like Quintero is a whole other level. Redmond is a classic English winger - but even he gets criticised for not hitting his crosses in early enough or trying too much.

Personally I love a nice flair player and will excuse their dalliances on the ball for the moments of magic they bring. But the Premier League hasn''t been a particularly happy hunting ground for South American number 10s in the past, although that is changing as the football evolves.[/quote]I hear you, Bethnal, but those who criticise Wes AND those who love him see the duality of his footballing personality – it''s a sliding scale as to what extent those dalliances, as you so nicely put it, are mitigated by those moments of blinding brilliance. ''Consistent and dependable'' is a mantra around which a lower-to-mid Prem squad should be built, but in order to be multidimensional you still have to countenance the flip side.It''s similar to the discussion we had about a target man – even those who (like both of us, I believe) prefer an aesthetically pleasing, technical passing style, accept that it has its limitations and the opposite must be considered as an option to avoid predictability. If you only have one way of playing, you''re easier to master. Lambert was great at mixing it up – sometimes too much so – but thus far Neil has only had to use one system to get the success he''s had so far. I think the more versatility we have in the squad, the more successful we''ll be this season. Someone like Quintero would still be fantastically exciting, I think.

Very exciting rumour and west deserves a quality replacement to compete with this year.

I don''t believe it and won''t until he is pictured in the yellow and green and orange and black of Norwich! I''ll be delighted if Mbokani comes off and ecstatic if both do!

Altough they have signed Dani Osvaldo and added him in the Number 10 spot, so could be not fully updated, but at the moment Quintero has gone from the site

If this Quintero lad is so good, and available relatively cheaply, then I would imagine there''ll be other BPL suitors too, surely? (That''s IF we are even in for him).

It is being reported by several websites/papers that we have definitely offered Quintero a deal, suggesting we''ve already agreed a deal with Porto. Sounds very promising and might help get over the injury loss of Mulumbu!

Bethnal G&Y wrote: "If Quintero would go to Bologna, a team hardly tearing up trees in Italy as they have just been promoted to Serie A via a play-off (hmmm), then he would come to Norwich. And Quintero did agree personal terms with Bologna earlier this summer only for the clubs to fail to agree.

The Premier League is the highest paying and most watched league in the world. Whilst Norwich wouldn''t be his dream destination, he knows a couple of good seasons here and then the real prestigious clubs will be calling.

I do agree that it is dreaming though, as I think he is far, far from the type of player Norwich are targeting right now. But I think he''d agree to come to Norwich should the opportunity arise."

The Italian clubs he is linked with may not seem dissimilar to ourselves, but a 22 year old seeking to further his football education as well as his career is likely to prefer scrapping it out in Serie A to doing likewise in the PL. The only card we hold as a PL club is money but against that is the cultural discrepancy both on the field and off. And offering only a two year contract (as reported) doesn''t exactly show faith in your judgement. It is insuring against a perceived significant risk. Rather than "You have what we want both now and longer term and we''d really like you to come", it says "We are prepared to take a short-term punt on you but actually we aren''t that confident."

The two clubs also rumoured are Bologna and Cheivo Verona - two clubs who are no better than us. I can see why he would like to come here (as a stepping stone for a bigger club, let''s admit) so if the reports are true - I can see this happening.

"Only" offering him a 2-year contract may well be on advice of his agent, as he will be more likely to move up the ladder in England, or Europe (with bigger clubs) when he is on a short contract.

I''m sure McNasty would want a longer contract, but if the deal hinges on the length of the contract, 2 years is enough to seal it, and give us time to see if he is any good.

I would prefer a 4 or 5 year contract, but admit it is unlikely since this type of player would see us as a stepping stone, and is not sure of NCFC being in the Premier next season.

The problem with 2 years is that if he is a hit, he will refuse to sign a new contract, and we have to sell after 1 season, or face him walking for nothing. Dilemma.

AJ - The rumours came from an Italian internet site famed for making up nonsense. Not one newspaper have taken the story up, but it has been repeated by several British internet sites. Very little credibility.

Westcoastcanary - I''m not sure where the 2 year contract comes from, the reports in Italy have been for him to go on loan to Bolonga with an option to sign.

Impossible to say whether a young player would opt for Italy or England, but Norwich could pay him considerably more than Bolonga could, and give him a much larger signing on fee. Whilst money isn''t the only factor motivating players I can''t see the lure of Serie A being that great - certainly not anymore. I definitely don''t think he''d turn down Norwich if all the Italian options were off the table and it was that or stay, marginalised, at Porto.