Sign in to follow this  
chuggs

Squad Numbers

Hi any idea when squad numbers will be released? My daughter is wanting name and number on her shirt, typically Bassong, I cannot see he will have same as last season, I am thinking probably No6 as cannot see turner keeping it, any ideas people

Squad numbers can be a bit divisive - particularly this season when so many players look to be of good quality.  Instead of the 1-11 numbers being seen as the best eleven, numbers should be spread out so that they have less significance. 

How about putting goalkeepers to 1 2 and 3,   defenders 5 - 14, midfielders 15 - 24, attackers 25 - 35?    You could still have the 25 people in the squad, just leave gaps.    That way you would avoid anyone thinking they are in the "top" eleven and avoid anyone feeling snubbed or demeaned because they haven''t got the number shirt they think they deserve.  Remove all semblance of ranking and you will have a better chance of squad unity.

I wouldn''t read too much into numbers. I guess most Players will keep the same number unless they wanna change it to an already vacant number or change it to another number of a player who has been told they are not wanted. A bit like when Lafferty got number 9 off Wolfswinkel and he had to take 21 last year.

Well there''s at least two squad numbers you can be certain of - ''Ruddy 1'' and ''Hoolahan 14''. With just 2 weeks to go till kick off it does seem it''s being left late but perhaps we have 1 or 2 key signings expected to come through the Carrow Rd doors imminently?.

The club are going to rotate squad numbers each year along with a new kit to force fans to buy the new kits and not look silly.

The scheme is set to be announced next week but a few numbers have been leaked in some behind the scenes photos seen on twitter;

Ruddy is number 99, R.Martin 98, Whittaker 97, and RvW is no.1

In seriousness, don''t take as fact but believe them to be as follows;

1 Ruddy

2 Whitts

4 Johnson

5 Russ Martin

6 Turner

7 Grabban

8 Howson

9 Lafferty

11 Hooper

14 Hoolahan

16 V. Wolfwinkel

17 E. Bennett

18 Mulumbu

21 Josh Murphy

22 Redmond

23 Olsson

24 R. Bennett

25 Jacob Murphy

26 Declan Rudd

27 Tettey

30 Bassong

31 Toffolo

32 Remi Matthews

39 Vadis Ofoe

I think some of them might be changed myself, especially Vadis who might get a lower number and Rudd will inevitably get the 13. Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see the no. 9 to be given to a current squad member, and maybe even give the no. 7 to Redderz or something. But no, expect the regulars to keep theirs

Remember in several world cups Argentina did them alphabetically - hence Ossie Ardiles wore number 1.

Think England did the same (except keepers) in 1982 World Cup - hence Trevor Brooking was no.3

Hot off the press: http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/norwich-city-premier-league-squad-numbers-2600578.aspx

Good call on Bass being #6. #9 is ominously free .

For those who don''t like copy-and-pasting:

1 - Ruddy

2 - Whittaker

3 - Wisdom

4 - Johnson

5 - Martin

6 - Bassong

7 - Grabban

8 - Howson

9 -

10 - Jerome

11 - Hooper

12 - Brady

13 - Rudd

14 - Wes

15 - Toffolo (Big things expected?)

16 -

17 - E Bennett

18 - Dorrans

19 - Lafferty

20 - Andreu

21 - Mulumbu (his number at West Brom)

22 - Redders

23 - Olsson

24 - R Bennett

25 -

26 - Turner

27 - Tettey

28 - O'' Neill

29 - The Wolf

30 -

31 - Kean

32 - VOO

Interesting to see that a lot of the youngsters have lost their numbers - none more blatantly as the Murphy twins

Lafferty losing #9 suggests we''ve got a signing on their way in to take the shirt!

Giving RvW the 29 is surely a big statement though. It seems like a clear message that''s he''s very much on the fringes, even if that. Bassong was given the no. 30 last season as a statement, and we never saw him under Adams. I''ll be shocked if the Wolf is here on 2 September.

Ricky has had nothing but clear messages since he was sent on loan to St Et.

The problem is finding someone who is willing to take him and most importantly, pay him. There are only a handful of clubs outside of England with the financial capability to take on his wages, whether any of them want a misfiring striker is another matter all together. The club he scored a hat-full of goals for has walked away and the club he was on loan to have also passed. He doesn''t have many choices unfortunately.

Could he do another season at St Etiene again? would they want him? He needs to move move somewhere (unfortunately, as I do like him he''s just not made for the PL it seems)

St Et don''t appear to want him - the manager and board said some nice stuff about him at the end of the season - but don''t seem interested in bringing him back in the slightest.

SPC might be back if their Champions'' League qualifying goes well, but that won''t be confirmed until the 28th August (I think, certainly late August). They have also had to commit a chunk of their wage budget replacing William Cavalho who is injured by bringing in Aquilani.

Not sure they will be back at all, but that still seems the most likely option for Ricky. Some one might appear from somewhere, a Turkish team wouldn''t be a surprise. But there are no hints of interest at the moment.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ricky has had nothing but clear messages since he was sent on loan to St Et.

The problem is finding someone who is willing to take him and most importantly, pay him. There are only a handful of clubs outside of England with the financial capability to take on his wages, whether any of them want a misfiring striker is another matter all together. The club he scored a hat-full of goals for has walked away and the club he was on loan to have also passed. He doesn''t have many choices unfortunately.[/quote]Bethnal is right. There have been any number of clear messages. Only fans blinded by sentimentality could have thought Neil wanted to keep van Wolfswinkel. If him being given the No.29 shirt has any relevance it is to emphaise how much that is still Neil''s attitude and - perhaps - his hope/belief that he can still be offloaded to someone somewhere.