Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

The New Gary Doherty?

We need a new centre back.
We need a new centre forward.
Can''t we just find and sign the next Gary Doherty to ensure we have quality available in both positions?  If we went up to, say, £12m that averages out at £6m per player which is decent in a league where Dwight Gayle is worth £8m.
I did suggest this to our new head of recruitment but have yet to receive a reply.

There must be a ginger Ronaldo out there, a ginger Messi, a ginger Beckenbauer? Why can''t we find these players and sign them?

SORT IT OUT MCNALLY.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I think you''ll find there''s only one Ginger Pele. [U][/quote]Thank Christ for that, and let''s hope he never comes anywhere near the club again, probably one of the biggest liabilities we''ve ever had in defence.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Nuff Said"]I think you''ll find there''s only one Ginger Pele. [U][/quote]Thank Christ for that, and let''s hope he never comes anywhere near the club again, probably one of the biggest liabilities we''ve ever had in defence.[/quote] Correct, one of the most inept players ever to grace the carrow road turf. The only good thing he did was to get Worthington sacked with another inept display.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Nuff Said"]I think you''ll find there''s only one Ginger Pele. [U][/quote]
Thank Christ for that, and let''s hope he never comes anywhere near the club again, probably one of the biggest liabilities we''ve ever had in defence.
[/quote] Correct, one of the most inept players ever to grace the carrow road turf. The only good thing he did was to get Worthington sacked with another inept display.[/quote]

There''s gratitude for you! One, a player willing to give blood & sweat for the club and another who was a championship winning manager that laid the foundation for all the success that came after him.

Anyone who disputes this is a fool and a binner, so there!

Not a chance, he spent more time bear hugging attackers than actually playing football.Passing was dire, tackling was frequently mis-timed (which is poor for a defender) and you knew that there was a mistake or three in him every single game.Next we''ll have people pleading for respect towards Jason Jarrett...

I don''t see a future for Turner in defence, but maybe he could be our new target man up front?! Save money by recycling our current players into something else!

Russell Martin seems to like dictating where he plays anyway - i''m sure he will end up as a striker at some point when he fancies more of the limelight!

Gary Doherty was a decent player for us.

For most of his time at the club he was the best centreback we had. Many times he carried the rest of the defence. And then got all the stick from clueless muppets as thanks.

[quote user="GJP"]Gary Doherty was a decent player for us.

For most of his time at the club he was the best centreback we had. Many times he carried the rest of the defence. And then got all the stick from clueless muppets as thanks.[/quote]

My god we really were utter sh**e back then if the Doc was the best centre back we had. Oh wait, you''re joking. Good one.

[quote user="GJP"]Gary Doherty was a decent player for us.

For most of his time at the club he was the best centreback we had. Many times he carried the rest of the defence. And then got all the stick from clueless muppets as thanks.[/quote]Ah right, so anyone who didn''t view him in the same way you did was a clueless muppet...Glad we''ve cleared that up, maybe you can tell the rest of us what other opinions we should have for everything else as well then, rather than having us go through the hassle of making our own minds up and giving an individual opinion???Doherty was $hit, he was mocked and ridiculed by fans from pretty much every other side in the premiership and in the champs for his complete lack of co-ordination and desperate bear hugging challenges because he wasn''t good enough to get properly positioned beforehand, and whilst I''ll never fault the guys work ethic, dedication or as an individual, as a player he wasn''t at the level we needed and should have been moved on long before he was.

I find it ironic that people slate Doherty but love Malky when they were actually very similar as players. Malky was always shirt pulling and turned like an oil tanker but some seem to conveniently ignore that part of his game.

There''s a difference between shirt pulling and the awkward scene that they cut from Rise of the Planet of the Apes where the Gorilla presses himself onto Caesar...Also, whilst Malkay was slow, his positioning was far better than Doherty''s meaning that there was less need to make a last ditch tackle from behind.Different class IMHO, Doherty was a lower champs player at best and non-league at his worst!

Given that Doherty played in the same defence as Jon Otsemobor, indeed actually next to him, I don''t understand how he can be rated anywhere near the top of the liabilities list.

Doherty played right central defender and right back at the same time for several years. The defence wasn''t great when he did, but we can''t blame him for that.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]He played defense when the defense sucked. Don''t blame him.

Riiiiiiight.[/quote]

Yes, Doherty played in a defence that sucked. Adam Drury played in the same defence.

Neither of them either were Jon Otsemobor or signed him, or picked him.

Neither of them are why that defence sucked. Not even close to why.

So now it''s ALL Otsemobor''s fault that our defence was poor...I thought I was desperate at times with my defence of RvW, but this takes the biscuit!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="GJP"]Gary Doherty was a decent player for us. For most of his time at the club he was the best centreback we had. Many times he carried the rest of the defence. And then got all the stick from clueless muppets as thanks.[/quote]
Ah right, so anyone who didn''t view him in the same way you did was a clueless muppet...

Glad we''ve cleared that up, maybe you can tell the rest of us what other opinions we should have for everything else as well then, rather than having us go through the hassle of making our own minds up and giving an individual opinion???

Doherty was $hit, he was mocked and ridiculed by fans from pretty much every other side in the premiership and in the champs for his complete lack of co-ordination and desperate bear hugging challenges because he wasn''t good enough to get properly positioned beforehand, and whilst I''ll never fault the guys work ethic, dedication or as an individual, as a player he wasn''t at the level we needed and should have been moved on long before he was.
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much.

Do I think Doherty was a great defender? No. Do I think we had and have had plenty worse than him? Yes. And actually, seeing as it''s come up, I''m of no doubt the guy was a better player than the more popular MacKay - who was actually a hoofer, and not the wonderfully positionally aware centreback you''re claiming.

In his time at the club rarely would anyone defend better for us than Doherty. Obviously Drury was a good defender too but as far as centrebacks were concerned he was almost always the better of the two in the team.

I find it a bit ridiculous how you can absolutely slate the guy (a POTS and picked by numerous Norwich managers) but tell us elsewhere that RVW could "easily" score 12-15 Premier League goals.

It is a funny thing in football though, sometimes players who doesn''t deserve much stick get the most. And that''s because they put themselves out there while other players hide and therefore avoid the criticism of those who can''t see the bigger picture.

Doherty wasn''t even our best defender in League 1. Yes managers picked him but that got us relegated from the championship and Lambert had no other defender to choose. Fair play he then did ok to stay in the team with the more competent and gritty Nelson but it was no surprise Lambert said bye bye as soon as the season was over.

The squad would do well if a ginger was added, regardless of their position... I''d like a ginger Shearer and a ginger Sol Campbell for our remaining two transfers targets, although I will accept any natural ginger.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Nelson a better CB than Doc?

Heard it all now. Maybe Semi was a better RB than Russell Martin![/quote]

I can say it again if you want. Doc was s***e.

Thanks. Agree to disagree.

Extremes, no matter how distant a memory, always linger in the mind.

As much as I have tried to block out the grappling, the ballooned shots, the smashed straight out passes and the ''what the hell was that'' moments I can''t because, to the extreme, the doc was rubbish (imo of course).