Sign in to follow this  
Canary Legend

Palace at home is a must win

Might be to early to be talking about must win games but I really think this is one.

They are the kind of team we have to beat if we are to get the magical 40 points and especially at home.

A win will give the fans and the players the confidence we can compete in this league a defeat will knock everyone''s confidence straight away.

My view a big big game that will have knock on effects all season

A good start is needed and a draw would be acceptable at this stage, imo.  Yes, of course we want to win it, but calling it a "must win" game, to me is putting too much importance on it.   I am sure the players already have the confidence they can compete in this league - and I find it a bit strange if any fans don''t have the confidence they can compete.  Why wouldn''t we be confident?

A solid start is required, a win if possible, but any points on the board are a confidence booster, but the only must win game would be if we need three points in the last game of the season to stay up - and I don''t think we''ll be anywhere near that situation come May.

[quote user="Canary Legend"] a defeat will knock everyone''s confidence straight away.[/quote]

Not mine.

Don''t be so feeble - I believe we''ve not won our opening game in years. This includes title and promotion winning seasons, as well as relegation - it would be great to get off to a win, but will have little bearing on what''s to come.

I am fairly confident that prior to every single league game this season somebody on here will declare it a ''must win'' for one reason or another.

don''t see it as must win

but it is winnable but then if memory serves palace can be a bogey team

Jesus we haven''t even kicked a ball this season yet and this is the second negative thread sitting in the top half of this page I have read this morning !

The opening day of the season is notorious for freaky results up and down the country in all divisions and whatever the outcome on Saturday it will not determine our season by a long way.

Right now who is up for starting the '' I will judge the manager after 10 games'' thread ?

No point putting on early pressure. Yes it would be nice to win of course but a draw would be ok, a loss would be a bad start but i reckon we are more than capable of getting points from two thirds of our fixtures so there will be plenty of opportunities to pick up points, wins every now again are more important than drawing loads of games

[quote user="Canary Legend"]Might be to early to be talking about must win games but I really think this is one. They are the kind of team we have to beat if we are to get the magical 40 points and especially at home. A win will give the fans and the players the confidence we can compete in this league a defeat will knock everyone''s confidence straight away. My view a big big game that will have knock on effects all season[/quote]

Given we have had successful and shocking seasons but havent won an opening game of the season for years (is it thirteen seasons??) its not going to define the season if we dont win.

Sir Alex has been great at turning bad trends around - fingers crossed he can again and we win;   but what does that really mean in the context of the rest of the season.

[quote user="Herman "]Is Waveney the new Wiz?☺[/quote]

I''m a reformed wiz these days Herman but old Waveney will never equal my former self. [;)]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Herman "]Is Waveney the new Wiz?☺[/quote]

I''m a reformed wiz these days Herman but old Waveney will never equal my former self. [;)]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t bet on that Wiz as like yourself have done in the past unless I am very much mistaken he has ''flounced'' off. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

The opening day of the season is notorious for freaky results up and down the country in all divisions and whatever the outcome on Saturday it will not determine our season by a long way.

[/quote]

"And does anyone want a couple of season tickets for the Snakepit, I managed to pick up a couple during the second half, you can have them for half price...................hold on, that''s my ''phone, it''s Mr McNally, hello David, Wednesday morning at the training camp? Yes, come down any time, I''ll be there, look forward to seeing you"

Clearly a season isn''t defined on one game but confidence is a fragil thing a case in point is the Wolf.

In our last outing in the prem I got the feeling the players didn''t believe in what Ooton and Neeeeeil were saying and that came across on the pitch.

Getting something from this game is essential as posters have said we have a relatively easy start so let''s make the most of it

[quote user="lake district canary"]A good start is needed and a draw would be acceptable at this stage, imo.  Yes, of course we want to win it, but calling it a "must win" game, to me is putting too much importance on it.   I am sure the players already have the confidence they can compete in this league - and I find it a bit strange if any fans don''t have the confidence they can compete.  Why wouldn''t we be confident?

A solid start is required, a win if possible, but any points on the board are a confidence booster, but the only must win game would be if we need three points in the last game of the season to stay up - and I don''t think we''ll be anywhere near that situation come May.

[/quote]Agree with this.If this is a '' must win '' game we''re up against it because :1) We haven''t won an opening fixture for 12 years.2 ) We''re playing Palace.Yes, a win would be a confidence booster but as LDC says it''s only vital if you need three points in the last game of the season. I too don''t think we''ll be anywhere near that situation.( No doubt Highland Canary thinks that too but only because we''ll be relegated by Easter....[;)] )

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Got this down as 3 of our 39 for the season. If we lose, will 36 keep us up?[/quote]I presume you''re going to be like this all season?! Leopards, spots and all that[:S]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Got this down as 3 of our 39 for the season. If we lose, will 36 keep us up?[/quote]

So you get the first one wrong and then assume that you''ll get all the rest correct?

Didn''t we start 04/05 with a home draw against Palace? We failed to win for a dozen games or so, never won an away match yet we still got to the last game with fate in our own hands. It ended in disaster that day in Fulham but goes to show that the first game has so little bearing in the scheme of things. I''m still surfing the Wembley wave, it''ll take a lot more than defeat on Saturday (which I don''t think will happen by the way) to dampen my enthusiasm for being back in the big time.

I don''t see the first game as being crucial to our survival. Far, far more important is that we sign a minimum of two top drawer players - a striker and a central defender. If the transfer window shuts without having achieved this then it''s going to be like watching lambs go to the slaughter.

Palace''s away record was brilliant in the last few months of last season winning 6 of their last 8 on the road. This will be a massively difficult game to win and we underestimate them at our peril.

I see this as a must perform well game. I want to see a positive approach and looking to attack. The points will come if we do that.