Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

A New Stadium at Broadland?

- Big businesses (such as Aviva) have been moving out of the city centre to Broadland and the trend is likely to continue.- A new stadium in Broadland could help to fill the demand for convenient conference facilities, exhibition space, somewhere for office workers to go for meals etc.- The council want new railway stations built at Broadland. It would mean people travelling from Cromer, Sherringham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft etc. benefiting from shorter and quicker rail journeys (or car journeys) than if the stadium was at CR.A rail journey from Norwich central to Broadland would take approximately 3 minutes.- Broadland Business Park is already on a direct bus route to/from lots of places including Wymondham. A bus journey from the Castle Mall to Broadland takes 12 minutes so isn''t much difference from going to CR.- The NDR is going to be built going through Broadland and the Postwick Hub is already under construction.- People who usually park in the city centre and go to a match whilst their family go shopping could use the new park and ride being built at Broadland so saving parking costs.- The council wants thousands of new houses to be built at Broadland. The local council and developers will have to reserve some land for provision of local amenities. A new stadium could provide a lot of that.- The UEA Norwich Management Development Centre (NMDC) is expanding. I am sure they could be tempted to move to Broadland to be close to the big businesses. That would give the UEA more space on their campus for other courses.- A major venue operator is considering building a new music venue on Broadland. I am sure they could be tempted into a deal to have a venue as part of a stadium and also use the stadium for major gigs.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]- Big businesses (such as Aviva) have been moving out of the city centre to Broadland and the trend is likely to continue.- A new stadium in Broadland could help to fill the demand for convenient conference facilities, exhibition space, somewhere for office workers to go for meals etc.- The council want new railway stations built at Broadland. It would mean people travelling from Cromer, Sherringham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft etc. benefiting from shorter and quicker rail journeys (or car journeys) than if the stadium was at CR.A rail journey from Norwich central to Broadland would take approximately 3 minutes.- Broadland Business Park is already on a direct bus route to/from lots of places including Wymondham. A bus journey from the Castle Mall to Broadland takes 12 minutes so isn''t much difference from going to CR.- The NDR is going to be built going through Broadland and the Postwick Hub is already under construction.- People who usually park in the city centre and go to a match whilst their family go shopping could use the new park and ride being built at Broadland so saving parking costs.- The council wants thousands of new houses to be built at Broadland. The local council and developers will have to reserve some land for provision of local amenities. A new stadium could provide a lot of that.- The UEA Norwich Management Development Centre (NMDC) is expanding. I am sure they could be tempted to move to Broadland to be close to the big businesses. That would give the UEA more space on their campus for other courses.- A major venue operator is considering building a new music venue on Broadland. I am sure they could be tempted into a deal to have a venue as part of a stadium and also use the stadium for major gigs. [/quote]
are you on a P!ss take?

Haha! I saw this post and immediately knew what kinda response there''d be..

RARARARAARARA.. OUTRAGEOUS! POSTING ABOUT A STADIUM EXPANSION!! RARARARAARARA etc etc

We know we need a bigger stadium. We know this needs to be either from an expansion at Carrow Road or a new-build at a different site. Yes, we''ve discussed it before. Yes, you''re entitled to put your hands over your ears and pretend it won''t happen, but for God''s sake, stop moaning like little girls when someone brings it up!

[quote user="morty"]I am disappointed the phrase "peppercorn rent" hasn''t been used here.[/quote]
I''m disappointed that there has been thought put into this post. 
You can tell, because if it''s stupid ramblings that no thought has gone into, Tom labels it "scouting thoughts"

I propose that they clearcut Mousehold Heath. There''s already a pitch there and with creative planning they could use the berms there for seating.

For a city club we should have moved to a brownfield site in the city centre, an ideal location would have been where the chocolate factory used to be. Now that''s been ruined by building a bl00dy great mall, the land around Anglia Square would be the next best choice.Road traffic a problem? Just stick a free park and ride/bus voucher on the back of the tickets so that fans can be shuttled to and from the ground.We''re Norwich City and it''s high time we actually moved the club within the city walls.

Agree there, the new stadium should follow the design of Cowdenbeath''s Central Park which has a former speedway track around their ground (now used for banger racing)...that''d get the punters in [;)]

Apples

"Is anyone able to actually give good reasons as to why it couldn''t become a good location in the longer-term?"

I think it would and admire your vision. A lot adds up. These things are a massive undertaking though and invariably cost a fortune over and above the vast fortune involved in the initial estimates.

I doubt that the Club is currently equipped, at the present or in the foreseeable future, to embark upon the like, either financially or mentally.

Not long ago we were threatened with administration, or whatever, and we are still self-flagellating over the Wolfswinkle losses which would become peanuts in the grand scheme of things., whilst such futuristic thinking is far beyond the pale of the Old Codgers Club who rule at Carrow Road.

Besides, the Carrot Patch might well need improvement, might well be somewhat claustrophobic and might well be worth a small fortune as a development site, but a lot of us have known and loved it for decades as the most symbolic feature of our Club and the wheels of progress grind slowly in our mindset at any whiff of change. (Ref: the preponderance of objections to re-naming the ground for sponsorship money.)

Never under-estimate such sentiment. Never ride rough-shod over tradition.

Well put forward TC, but I have an feeling that you are the Martin Peters of the movement to improve the environment in which the Club exists. Ten years (at the very least) ahead of your time.

I have a feeling that Boris has got more chance with his "island" than of this coming about, despite the fact that both visions make total sense in recognising the communicational needs of the future.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Can we have a speedway staduim as well?

[/quote]And a dog track[Y]

Can we have one of those sliding roof things as well? My seat about 9 rows up in the Barclay sometimes get wet if the wind''s blowing in the wrong direction. Also a sun screen above the River-End would be nice, especially for those late summer matches. A cushion for the piles would be a nice addition, but I guess that''s pushing things too far?

"Well put forward TC,"No, it really wasn''t.He actually argued it would be best situated on UEA grounds. During a counter argument, I suggested that whilst still a poor alternative and incredibly unlikely for a great many reasons, that an actual better proposed site would be along the new northern bypass route although I suspected that much of the land is already accounted for.At this point, with his argument shot to tatters - I think the reality is there were barely and threads to it in the first place - he has started a new thread with another equally naive and short sighted suggestion.I can think of a great number of things wrong with it, to start off with, the club would need to buy land now, but in reality, not even contemplate building on it until the bypass is complete. Any proposed railway connections are likely to take even longer, and any real possibility of making it an economic possibility will be a long way off. So potentially, the club would have to spend money now, to purchase land and either sell the stadium and rent it back until the new one is built or have money invested in land that is no use to them at this point in time.Sound familiar? Oh yes, Chase did exactly the same thing, purchasing lots of land, taking money away from the club and relying upon economic climates to make it a viable investment sooner rather than later.If that isn''t enough in terms of evidence, how about you revisit the other thread and some of the counter arguments for this suggestion there, which you happily ignore once more.Wee-poor trolling again TC. The only thing you could possibly scout is the tuning on your radio for radio Suffolk . ..  .

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Can we have a speedway staduim as well?

[/quote]And a dog track[Y][/quote]With heated reclining massage chairs with lift up arms like at the cinema, along with cup holders.I''d also like a button that makes clapping noises so you don''t have to.

The council want new railway stations built at Broadland. It would mean people travelling from Cromer, Sherringham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft etc. benefiting from shorter and quicker rail journeys (or car journeys) than if the stadium was at CR.

A rail journey from Norwich central to Broadland would take approximately 3 minutes.

Looking at it from the rail perspective, most of what you have put is bollox.There is a station at Salhouse why build another one 150 yards away? That line is limited to small trains, and it''s impossible for the frequency of the service to be increased as Norwich Station does not have the capacity. Unless there is to be a new station at Whittlingham, people travelling from Gt. Yarmouth and Lowestoft will still have to go into Thorpe station as there is no junction to take these trains directly onto the Sheringham line. I would bet there is no money available for such major improvement to what - in the grand scheme of things - is a tinpot line.

Next stupid theory TC...

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Can we have a speedway staduim as well?

[/quote]And a dog track[Y][/quote]With heated reclining massage chairs with lift up arms like at the cinema, along with cup holders.I''d also like a button that makes clapping noises so you don''t have to.[/quote]
If we could add Heart rate monitors in the River End to check that all occupants are still alive, then that would be a nice touch.

Got a bit of land at Lessingham which could take a 35,000 plus all seater (heated seats with hostess service) which would be perfect, no station but I could walk to matches, and register my drive on "just park.com" and make a few quid.

Don''t know why I didn''t think of it sooner, when started reading what I thought was bollox at the start of this thread, it just hit me, could be open by January, happy days.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Can we have a speedway staduim as well?

[/quote]And a dog track[Y][/quote]With heated reclining massage chairs with lift up arms like at the cinema, along with cup holders.I''d also like a button that makes clapping noises so you don''t have to.[/quote]

Can we have one that makes a booing noise?

First Wazzock,Broadland District Council have commissioned reports to help support the

case for new railway stations at Postwick, Broadland Business Park and possibly

at Rackheath.

[quote user="Felixfan"]As someone who lives outside Norwich can somebody tell me where Broadland is please?[/quote]

If you supported Ipswich your local team you wouldn''t have to trouble yourself with this question

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Can we have a speedway staduim as well?

Can we have one that makes a booing noise?

[/quote]An unnecessary expense and would spoil the spontaneity.[:D]