Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Most disappointing window...

To the claim that I don''t have a long memory regarding poor transfer windows. I accept there have been occasions on which direr signings were made. But my point is that this is the worst because we only need a couple of obvious gaps filled and the future could be rosy - the only comparison I can make is when it was blindingly obvious we needed a striker in September but waited till January to sign Ashton...and it was too late.

To those saying the window isn''t over. Maybe not. But close season is over and the battle begins Saturday and the first few games will be crucial if you look at the fixture list objectively. Who hasn''t known for 6 months that a CB is needed? Yet we still look to start with the team from last season + brady. Meanwhile palace added yet another decent signing today

Oh and to the person who claimed palace have more Orem seasons- nonsense. In the last five they have the same of us yet better signings. And less in the last 20. So again they have done better with the opportunity offered to them than we seem to have done

What has Palace signing someone got to do with us? we''ve already got wingers (and whingers).

AN has said he wants two more signings, now we don''t know who they are but its likely that their clubs don''t need to sell on the cheap so are holding onto them until the end. It happens, it''s called a transfer window, welcome to negotiation.

The fact the season starts on Saturday has been a theme running throughout your thread DC, for some clearly it''s not a relevant consideration, for me it''s crucial.

As you say, we have known where we need to strengthen the squad for a long while now and it''s something we should do, have done, before Saturday.

How do you know they haven''t been trying to sign a CB/CF/S? You seem to think it''s as easy as clicking on your Amazon account. Or would you be happy with any old CB so long as we sign someone?

If we sign no one before the window closes then we''d be very unlikely to survive. If we leave it too late then we risk being held to ransom. It therefore makes sense for the club to spend now before it''s too late.

I don''t know what they''ve been doing Herman, and frankly I don''t care.

All that interests me as a fan is giving ourselves the best chance to stay up, and that means strengthening the squad before our first game on Saturday.

[quote user="Vanwink"]The fact the season starts on Saturday has been a theme running throughout your thread DC, for some clearly it''s not a relevant consideration, for me it''s crucial.

As you say, we have known where we need to strengthen the squad for a long while now and it''s something we should do, have done, before Saturday.[/quote]That is not true. I doubt there is anyone who has contributed to this thread who thinks that in an ideal world that would not be a relevant consideration. But as has been explained in fact-based posts, in the real world - to which you seem oblivious - very few clubs are able to do all the business they want before the season starts. You only have to look at the sports pages to see that even mega-clubs are having that kind of trouble. Chelsea have wanted Stones all summer. They  may get him before Saturday, or before 6pm on September 1, or in January, or not this season at all. And that is Chelsea. Who we are very definitely not.

Even if we sign anyone now, you''re looking at a couple of games before he would make a debut - the squad will be prepped and ready to go, and there''s no sense chucking a new player in now, however good.
Still think we''ll beat Palace.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I don''t know what they''ve been doing Herman, and frankly I don''t care.

All that interests me as a fan is giving ourselves the best chance to stay up, and that means strengthening the squad before our first game on Saturday.[/quote]That''s what we all want. And I''m pretty certain that''s what the club wants. But if the players we want don''t want to come here, aren''t available or simply the players available aren''t any better than what we''ve got then there is nothing we can do.

Purple

"very few clubs are able to do all the business they want before the season starts"

Indeed, but I want my club to be one of the ones that does to give it the best possible chance of success.

We need a couple more players at the very least. The choice is to offer a bit more money than we''d normally be happy to spend or lose 50% of our income next season. We have much, much more to spend since being promoted so why not spend it?

Perhaps we will spend it, did you think of that? Do you think that maybe we''ve tried to spend it but haven''t been able to get the players that we''ve tried to get. Do you think when AN says; "we''ve tried to get a few but haven''t quite managed to get it over the line" do you think perhaps you should take this into consideration before making such an ignorant comment. Of course we want business done before the start of the season, that always the objective, but if the players you''ve got on your shortlist require extra time leading up to the deadline to be able to get, then you wait, you "don''t just sign anyone who''s not going to improve the team" (quote from AN)

We risk being held to ransom if we haven''t got any more new players and it''s a few days before the deadline, eg a £6m player will suddenly cost something like £10m. Offering tiny amounts for Brady indicates that we''ve dithered (and possibly already lost out when bidding for others?).People are understandably getting frustrated because if things stay as they are then we''re virtual certainties for relegation.

I''m just wondering how many of the recently-joined posters on this thread are Waveney... My money is on most of them.

To the rest - yes we''d all love to have signed a quality striker and CB by now, but it''s just not that easy. I think it it has hurt us that we had those 2 extra weeks before we knew we were promoted plus as I mentioned, I wonder if foreign strikers have been put off by RVW flopping.

you could be right

the rumours of players being linked as still popping up

watched Alonso playing vs the Chelsea 11 tonight and he looked good

[quote user="juicy plams"]We risk being held to ransom if we haven''t got any more new players and it''s a few days before the deadline, eg a £6m player will suddenly cost something like £10m. Offering tiny amounts for Brady indicates that we''ve dithered (and possibly already lost out when bidding for others?).People are understandably getting frustrated because if things stay as they are then we''re virtual certainties for relegation.[/quote]Totally one-dimensional analysis. As the transfer window nears a close, you are right that some players will inevitably increase in price as their clubs want to keep them, and they may feel they don''t have time to replace them.However, there will be players left out of the 25 who want to leave and the club wants to sell (particularly those at bigger clubs), there will be other players who are simply out of favour and angling for a move, there will be players whose agents have made it clear their client wants the opportunity to talk to a bigger club, there will be clubs who need to balance the books and will accept reasonable offers, and there will be young talents at big clubs who are looking for first-team experience.It''d be better to get the business done before the final few days, but as long as we get the players we need, it''s getting the right ones rather than the ones who are easiest to purchase.And ''virtual certainties for relegation''? Sensationalist horsesh!t. Bookies'' favourites maybe, but promoted teams will always take that mantle. Looking forward to your "WE''RE DOOMED" post after a hard-fought 1-1 draw on Saturday already.

It would be ideal to get a new CB before the season started. But itis far more important to get one which moves us forward and is an improvement. Sat will be revealing as to how well RM and SB will fare.

I think a lot of it is to do with scouting AN hasn''t settled in his own scouting team yet or ever shopped in this bigger market before

I know for a fact that we have asked other clubs scouts for players they recommend because they knew the foreign market better and are not competing for the same players

i hope this will change when we get a settled scouting team

There are a good three or four recent wi dows I can think of as being worse.

Julien Brellier anyone? Peter Grant signed zome real quality didn''t he? Then there was Roeder . . . Wes apart the rest were shocking really.

Then there was Hamilton and his Dutch imports.

Doesn''t matter about the Julien brellier window etc.

It is about this window and not to be relying on January for additions.

This is a window where we had dropped to the championship for 1 season after a few in the prem.

We have a young bright manager and a squad with momentum. Additions are needed.

worse does not equal most disappointing

So whilst i concede that there have been worse windows in terms of Terrible signings, say when we were languishing from a champ drop, this is "more disappointing" because we are in a better place- thus with a greater opportunity- overall.

So, as I said before, the non Ashton window is the only other I recall which felt equally wasted in terms of opportunity squandered. I hope to be proved wrong.

Wow can''t believe this thread is still going. Seems that some have expectations of the club that are just unrealistic. Remember we are Norwich, have just been promoted, don''t have owners who will fund massive losses and the premier league money doesn''t go up until next season. Unless we survive the next two seasons we won''t be making "big signings". Our target now is to incrementally improve the team and the squad.

As we are fortunate that we have held on to many of our better premier league players when we got relegated that makes it so much more difficult to improve. So we have to be patient and allow the club to work on bringing in the right type of player that can as Lambert used to say "give the lads a hand".

I''m sure we could have signed plenty of players but how many would realistically improve the side. This isn''t like when we came up before where we just cherry picked good championship/ League 1 players like Howson, Johnson, Snodgrass, Bennett x2 and Pilkington. We are a much better squad now and to improve that means competing in a different market. A market that has the likes of West Brom, Palace, Villa, Sunderland etc. A market where frankly if I was a player I would be more tempted to join one of them as they have proven they can stay in the league.

Offering more money doesn''t automatically overcome this difference particularly with modern contracts including relegation clauses. So even if you do join Norwich over say Palace for an extra £10k a week the chances of you still earning that wage next season are lower.

Also for those saying that we can''t sign continental strikers because Van Wolfswinkel was a failure I couldn''t disagree more. If you are a good player with confidence in your ability someone else''s failures won''t determine whether you sign for a club. Do you think Depay ever went well Falcao was rubbish at United so I''m not sure about that?

Let me bring back the post I left on 4th August....

....And it did indeed turn out to be the most dismal i can remember given the money we must have.

How can we possibly think the same back 4 as relegated us last time round will be any better now?

I cant see how anyone can disagree with you DCB. I just cannot believe the farce that has gone on today. The most pressing need was SO OBVIOUS for everyone to see, not just the fact it was the defence that took us down but the defence that struggled pretty badly at times even in the Champo, yet we have wasted most of this window chasing targets we were NEVER going to get (Afobe, Austin, Koulibaye, VVD) added to ones which seemed so desperate (Gayle). Its an absolute joke, people have said our board is run by a bunch of amateurs in the past.. this window (and many others before) says it all.