Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Most disappointing window...

I cannot remember a more disappointing window. We have not improved on our defence or our attack. Both needed bolstering. Our one reasonable signing is already crocked.

Unless something major happens in the next few days then it must go down as the most dismal window I can remember.

The positive percies will no doubt label me a pant wetter etc..but honestly it seems we are content with championship football. Swansea were a much smaller team than us when they went up- they seized the day. We just don''t seem capable of it. Two WBA squad players and a relegated winger do not show a hint of ambition

Feeling very, very disappointed. And remembering all those awful years stick in the lower half of the champ...

You''ve got a very short memory then. Do you not remember the January 13/14 window?

They haven''t brought the window forward hence I clearly stated that "if nothing changes in the next few days"

But can you really say we have shown intent? It''s risible this far and that is my point. RVW still here ffs and no new CB which almost EVERYONE agreed was the biggest issue..

You''re a 100% right DC, everybody knows it, including the Pant Wetting Accusers (PWA).

Absolutely dismal window, it''s as if our Board never learn.

Prudence With Ambition (PWA) now there''s a coincidence!!

It has been disappointing so far DC, made worse by the injury to Mulumbu.

Let''s hope we see some decent recruitment before the window closes.

One point I would make was that Brady looked very good on Saturday, a good signing IMO.

I would judge when the window has closed.

Right now, yeah, it''s underwhelming. But then I remember Bryan Hamilton hoovering up about eight of the worst players I''ve ever seen, so I''m not overly despondent.

Christ, I lived above the Golden Lion in Ipswich for ten months and my bedroom overlooked the Town Hall and square. THAT was a most disappointing and somewhat depressing window.

Agree we need to wait till it closes- but just want to see some real ambition to establish ourselves as a Orem club and you don''t do that buying players from relegated clubs and unwanted squad players from relegation candidates...

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]They haven''t brought the window forward hence I clearly stated that "if nothing changes in the next few days"

But can you really say we have shown intent? It''s risible this far and that is my point. RVW still here ffs and no new CB which almost EVERYONE agreed was the biggest issue..[/quote]By "next few days", do you mean "almost 4 weeks"?

No I mean before we line up with last seasons championship playoff team + Brady against a palace side who have added 20milliom quids worth of players to an already decent team - including Cabaye...and that is just one of the teams we must stand toe to toe with.

Oh and if you haven''t looked at the fixture list- we have no time to fanny about as we play most of our competitors for the drop in the first 8 games. So again- show me where we see ambition and a hunger to excell

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Agree we need to wait till it closes- but just want to see some real ambition to establish ourselves as a Orem club and you don''t do that buying players from relegated clubs and unwanted squad players from relegation candidates...[/quote]FFS. The players we''ve bought are not good enough now. The club can''t win with some of you.

I think that as Norwich fans we need to be realistic. We aren''t bankrolled by a billionaire with a license to print money and we are not as attractive to foreign stars as more established sides.

We may well be interested in exciting signings but stand little chance if a rival offer comes in ... As we will undoubtedly see with DVDjk.

We have to trust in our exciting manager and well drilled group of players (many WITH Prem experience ... Unlike Bournemouth and Watford) and hope that our modest signings will compliment and enhance a machine that is already ticking along nicely.

Would Mbokani change your gloom / frustration?

Mbokani would help however I must disagree with the "we are just a little club" excuse, bottom line we get huge crowds week in and week out and should be a top 20 side. We have not seen much investment for the last promotion and have no debts. Why do we come always seem to be the lowest payers and least ambitious promoted team? I think too many just accept the little Norwich tag- if teams like Stoke and Swansea and wBA can do it - we can too

We are still 3 - 4 quality players short and if thing don''t improve the finger will point at the board.

I am half expecting when the window closes the board comments will be "we have scoured Europe and left no stone unturned, the best players are already here".

Could you please expand on the issue with buying a ''relegated winger''? I don''t understand. Are relegated teams not allowed good players? If we bought Austin is that disappointing because he''s a relegated striker?

Are you honestly disappointed with the signing of Brady?

What''s wrong with cherry picking the relegated teams? As I see it, we already know these players can perform in the prem and are able to source them for much cheaper than teams we are in direct competition with. Remember who we are, a newly promote club, we cannot compete financially with the midrange teams such as Swansea, West Ham, Villa etc. What do you suggest we do instead- must say I''m much keener on our approach than Watford''s!

Brady and Mulumbu are great additions IMO and I''m sure we will look to bolster both the defence and attack before the end of August so please hold fire until then!

I will also remind you that, in Hughton''s first season, we didn''t sign Bassong until the end of the window and there''s till nearly a month left! Have faith in our manager!

Yohan Cabaye (PSG), Patrick Bamford (Chelsea, loan), Alex McCarthy (Reading), Connor Wickham (Sunderland)

mmm lets look at this little £20 million bundle

Cabaye - will give you that but he is crocked already according the papers

Alex McCathy- nothing exciting here bang average goalkeeper

Bamford - could well be out of his depth and looked very lightweight when we played them and locked him out the last two games

Wickham - not a bad player but SCUM and still to show some real return on the money that has been spent on him over the years

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I think that as Norwich fans we need to be realistic. We aren''t bankrolled by a billionaire with a license to print money and we are not as attractive to foreign stars as more established sides.

We may well be interested in exciting signings but stand little chance if a rival offer comes in ... As we will undoubtedly see with DVDjk.

We have to trust in our exciting manager and well drilled group of players (many WITH Prem experience ... Unlike Bournemouth and Watford) and hope that our modest signings will compliment and enhance a machine that is already ticking along nicely.

Would Mbokani change your gloom / frustration?[/quote]

I have been preaching patience all summer and had some stick for doing so but I''m now looking at the deals going through in the last week for other clubs and thinking we have underestimated the situation.

I didn''t want us to buy 10 new players from across the globe, however, central defence looks very vulnerable if there is an injury or loss of form. I get that the window is still open for a few weeks but the league starts in a matter of days.

Defensive pairings and goalkeeper take quite a while to gel. This would happen right at the point when we have our run of winnable games before we play the big boys. If we have a rocky start and don''t pick up points early then it could be a long season.

Cherry picking the odd relegation player is not a problem. Building a team entirely of those who have been relegated quite obviously is. Brady is a player, imo, who blows hot and cold and who is decent enough but we didn''t really need to strengthen midfield with the glaring holes up front and in defence. I see little to impress me in a team unchanged from last season running out on Saturday bar a winger from Hull .. Or am I missing something?

Pointing out that we have barely improved in this window despite the reward of the promotion being with millions has nothing to do with my being a laugh a minute - it is just to point out that something seems seriously amiss to me

Am I alone in that? I don''t think so

Brady was important we was desperate for some more left sided players

and his fills two holes with one signing

u are right we need to sign a new centre back

but left back/wing back was just as important didn''t fancy only having toffs as backup

Whilst I would generally agree with you that we should look to invest in a new CB, I would like to remind you that this is the same, 10-game-unbeaten defence of the prem not too long ago and that we still managed at least 10 clean sheets (exact figure escapes me) in our relegation season.

Our defensive record under Neil has also been superb.

If we weren''t to make another signing, I would remain reservedly optimistic for the season ahead. A group of mostly experienced premier league players tied in with one of the most exciting up and coming managers in the English game.

Most City fans are realistic but I''ve got to back Coney on this, it''s been pretty dismal. If Mulumbu is our second best signing, in a division where it isn''t uncommon to get ripped to shreds by the top four or five teams (yes, ok there are exceptions but how often is it backs to the wall painful rearguard actions) then it bodes ill.

Noone expected a £30m splurge and of course the last window when we were in the Prem we spent big and went down, but ... the weaknesses are so obvious this year, more than usual. So often you feel we need to strengthen across the board but this time it felt simple – one striker, 2/3/4 defenders and a left sided midfielder (simple-ish!). So, good news about Brady; Mulumbu and Dorrans, fine, but as Baggie rejects it was hard not to feel a little ambivalent. Wisdom, I''m optimistic, despite the reservation of West Brom fans, but again, it''s ok, not excellent, or even definitely a good signing.

We have time still and our opening games could have been a lot worse but it isn''t unrealistic to be disappointed by ''the window''.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]Whilst I would generally agree with you that we should look to invest in a new CB, I would like to remind you that this is the same, 10-game-unbeaten defence of the prem not too long ago and that we still managed at least 10 clean sheets (exact figure escapes me) in our relegation season.

Our defensive record under Neil has also been superb.

If we weren''t to make another signing, I would remain reservedly optimistic for the season ahead. A group of mostly experienced premier league players tied in with one of the most exciting up and coming managers in the English game.[/quote]

I don''t have a problem with Ruddy, Bassong and Martin. I personally think they are good enough. My point is a) Injury or lack of form to any of these three and there is not the quality to back them up. b) No one is putting pressure on their place in the team. I can''t see Bassong worried about Turner, can you?

So you agree. If we are banking on no injuries when we have been in the prem 4/5 seasons something is wrong. Why are we so lacking in funds when others spend more on less seasons here!?

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Mbokani would help however I must disagree with the "we are just a little club" excuse, bottom line we get huge crowds week in and week out and should be a top 20 side. We have not seen much investment for the last promotion and have no debts. Why do we come always seem to be the lowest payers and least ambitious promoted team? I think too many just accept the little Norwich tag- if teams like Stoke and Swansea and wBA can do it - we can too[/quote]We are a small to medium sized club. It''s a fact. We get 26k every other week, which a large proportion are season ticket holders (reduced rate) so the money from this goes to pay wages etc. We spent a lot in our promotion push, including hiring and firing managers. We are the lowest payers because we have the least money. I suspect the club are ambitious as has been shown over the last five years or so, but they are rightly cautious after nearly going bankrupt.I think too many think we should be running before we can walk.