Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Football matches an easy target?

Bobobo, your gay comments may play at the Bijou Theater in Humptyville, but in the modern, connected world that sort of intolerance is backward and hateful.

I give you that it took 3 months to set up the Boston attack. That''s my point! These things take time.

You don''t go to games, I see. If you did, even as drunk and stupid as you are, you would notice a police presence that is far more intense than almost anywhere and any time else.

If terrorists wish to attack a crowd at a pub they don''t need to wait until game day. They will prefer to have maximum impact, so at the stadium would be the purpose of doing it on game day.

Herman I believe in morals by living in a tolerant society, but all religions have their nutcases who are the focus in this media frenzy time.

I hope that as an atheist I live my life with respect of everyone''s beliefs and I know how it can comfort lots of people.

That said I don''t bestow my belief on others than why should I have to put up with violence or public preaching by various religious leaders on media.

If people can keep faith to themselves then things would be fantastic.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well this thread''s taken an interesting turn...

I''ve mentioned this before and make no apologies for saying it again. Stephen Fry is a confirmed atheist while Delia Smith is a devout Christian. They are poles apart in belief yet have great respect for each other in person.

So it seems to me that it''s intolerant people who are stupid.[/quote]
Interesting.  Some would say that multi-culturalism, with its "tolerate anything" policy, is at least partially responsible for the development and propagation of radical Islam in the UK such as that which "inspired" the 7/7 bombers and has latterly led to families from the UK deciding of their own free will to join IS in Syria.
So it''s not obvious to me that overly tolerant people come out of this well either.
Perhaps we''re all stupid.  I could buy that.

The police presence at Carrow Road is not significant or intense.  You''d know if... oh, that''s right, you wouldn''t.
Three months is not a long planning horizon.
I will not be lectured to about intolerance from a redneck American who gets all his opinions from Fox News.
Other than that, carry on. [Y]

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]I remember back in the day when this message board was about football and Norwich City[/quote]

Yes but there''s nothing going on with our club worth talking about! 😀

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]I remember back in the day when this message board was about football and Norwich City[/quote]

Yes but there''s nothing going on with our club worth talking about! 😀

I''m I don''t equate it. The Catholic church did cover up child abuse. There''s evidence of it. You religious types seem to be allergic to evidence of stuff.

Should we talk about the spread of sexually transmitted diseases in Africa because catholics dont allow condoms?

And you were only on your third account...

I''m not sure that multiculturalism should tolerate everything. Because every single person should surely have to abide by the laws of the land they live in. No special cases. No hiding behind any religion to change the rules. Being tolerant of people breaking the law of the land would be stupid. But these things are a given. Or should be.

Nutty should the law of the land, morals of that society be in one thing which everyone to abide by? The rest is surely the tolerance of each other as on this board? We all see things and believe thing from our point of view?

[quote user="Indy"]Herman I believe in morals by living in a tolerant society, but all religions have their nutcases who are the focus in this media frenzy time.

I hope that as an atheist I live my life with respect of everyone''s beliefs and I know how it can comfort lots of people.

That said I don''t bestow my belief on others than why should I have to put up with violence or public preaching by various religious leaders on media.

If people can keep faith to themselves then things would be fantastic.[/quote]I can''t disagree with that Indy. There are too many on both sides shouting off their beliefs, far, far more on the religious side to be fair. As a very lapsed Catholic,and although I have seen both the good and bad side of the religion, I know it can do good for people, teaching morals,civilised behaviour, tolerance and a positive ethic. It just a shame the focus isn''t on the good.

Anyway, talking of mumbo-jumbo and witchcraft, is it good or bad luck if a black cat walks into your house?[:D]

And Buh..

Shall I list the horrendous things done in the world in the name of athiesm and attribute them to you...

Glass houses and stones buddy. That''s why we need tolerance. The vast majority of people are good human beings so that''s always a good starting point when generalising.

I hope we don''t start on politics next 😉😉👿

Indy, this is a discussion board. It''s not intolerant to discuss. If someone were intolerant of discussing their views this isn''tthe place to air them..

Equating human suffering is not my thing but if you go there can you honestly say atheism holds a candle to any big religion when it comes to stuff like death?

Religion is all about control and fear and you achieve that by killing in its name and it''s been happening for thousands of years.

Have a look at some of the athiests through history Buh. Evil dictators who were responsible for untold amount death and suffering.

Or be more cheerful and look back at some of the athiests and religious followers who made a positive difference to all our lives.

Trying not to drop the Godwin bomb,but maybe you should research the 20th century.

Did these evils atheists do their evil things in the name of their religion?

Is there a central evils atheist church?

How many starving children could the popes golden throne pay for?

Power, control of the weak minded through fear

I always find that there are evil and good people throughout the whole spectrum so it would be against my belief to tar you with the same brush as an evil athiest or a kiddy fiddling athiest. So youre safe from any nutty witch hunt ;)

Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot. Not saying they were atheists but they are 3 people responsible for mass killings in the 20th Century and none of it was in the name of religion.

Not sure about all three but Hitler wrote in his book that he was doing the work in accordance with the creator!

I''m sure Stalin was an Othordox many Russian leaders were....

Its not the belief so much as the people who can convince the weak mined to follow them in whatever cause they see fit.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot. Not saying they were atheists but they are 3 people responsible for mass killings in the 20th Century and none of it was in the name of religion.[/quote]I wouldn''t say that in front of the Jews !

Wow, this escalated quickly.

To comment on the original question, I have occasionally thought that a football game would be the "perfect" place for it to happen, but then on the other hand, I could walk into the road and get hit by a bus tomorrow. Won''t waste the energy worrying about it.

[quote user="Indy"]Not sure about all three but Hitler wrote in his book that he was doing the work in accordance with the creator!

Its not the belief so much as the people who can convince the weak mined to follow them in whatever cause they see fit.[/quote]Stalin attended a seminary for a while but quickly became an atheist and all his actions in power, including the purges and mass killings, were motivated either by ideology or politics, depending on which seemed to him more appropriate. And the same would apply to Mao, who also racked up quite a death toll.The beliefs of Hitler and the other top Nazis are fascinating, if a bit confusing. But they owed pretty much everything to a crackpot mysticism rather than any orthodox religion.

Thanks purple, like I said it''s not the belief but those who use it to control the numbers!.

I like the ideology remark, that''s more the word than religion, maybe that''s where the confusion is......

3 months is a good long time to prepare something you think is quite simple to do, and to keep it secret. That''s just my opinion.

There are other stadiums besides Carrow Road, but even there, on game day, there is what I think is a relatively massive police and security presence. Maybe you don''t think dozens of officers and security within a few square blocks isn''t much, but where else do you find such a concentration on a regular basis (besides the local precincts during shift change)?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy"]Not sure about all three but Hitler wrote in his book that he was doing the work in accordance with the creator!

Its not the belief so much as the people who can convince the weak mined to follow them in whatever cause they see fit.[/quote]Stalin attended a seminary for a while but quickly became an atheist and all his actions in power, including the purges and mass killings, were motivated either by ideology or politics, depending on which seemed to him more appropriate. And the same would apply to Mao, who also racked up quite a death toll.The beliefs of Hitler and the other top Nazis are fascinating, if a bit confusing. But they owed pretty much everything to a crackpot mysticism rather than any orthodox religion.[/quote]Didn''t German military uniforms have the slogan "Got mit uns (God with us)" on them?