Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Claudio Ranieri at Leicester

Bit of a shame Ranieri got the job,I was really looking forward to the Oneill /Keane double act taking over at the Foxes, one thinks he is a professor of football and speaks as if every word he utters is a pearl encrusted golden nugget and the other is a boorish thug whos two achievements in management were getting Sunderland promoted, albeit with a budget of £100M, and very nearly destroying Ipswich. This hopefully would have A) made Leicester a championship team again and B) Got the pair of them out of Ireland management.

ah well, the Irish are stuck with them now.

Great appointment by Leicester showing their ambition unlike our feckless board.

It''s getting more and more depressing by the day. How much longer must we suffer these buffoons running out club?

I''ll give it nine months, even though Claudio is slumming it rather at Leicester City.

He won''t have much to tinker with, that''s for sure.

[quote user="Stiflers Mom"]Great appointment by Leicester showing their ambition unlike our feckless board.

It''s getting more and more depressing by the day. How much longer must we suffer these buffoons running out club?[/quote]
Binner

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I bl00dy love Ranieri, a beautiful man[/quote]

Yes Miggo!! He''s a top bloke! I met him before our cup replay, the night that Zola scored "that goal". He was friendly and charming. We''d been unlucky in the original game and he admitted as much but said that had been our chance and "tonight will be different".

Not sure whether he will be a success but it will be great to see him on MOTD again!

I''ve always seen him as a big club manager, not sure being limited with budgets of Leicester will show some faults?

Not a bad manager, but could be a bad fit.

They''re still going down alongside two of Villa, Watford, Newcastle or maybe Bournemouth

I''m fairly sure that''s your bottom 5 though with us or West Brom/Palace a decent points gap but only a couple of places above

I was sitting right in line with that goal Nutty and remember it well, I was genuinely glad i got to witness that moment despite it being against us. Glad to hear he is a nice bloke as well as I''ve always liked him as a manager. However you and Indy could well be right when you say you''re not sure whether he''ll be a success or not given (as Indy says) that he''s at a club now with different ambitions; just staying up.

Far too good a manager to be at the likes of Leicester... Stop-gap move to get him back into English football and wait for a bigger club to have a meltdown and sack their manager. I reckon he''ll be at either Liverpool, Spurs or Newcastle by the end of the season.

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]They''re still going down alongside two of Villa, Watford, Newcastle or maybe Bournemouth

I''m fairly sure that''s your bottom 5 though with us or West Brom/Palace a decent points gap but only a couple of places above[/quote]Watford,Bournemouth,Norwich,Sunderland,Leicester . That wont be far off the bottom 5 .Villa and Newcastle will be fine , they always are .

Ranieri has been a good manager at pretty much every club he''s ever been in charge of, in fact the only truly poor performance I can think of from him was when he was in charge of Atletico Madrid and nothing seemed to go right for him.He did a great job at Chelsea during their pre-Abramovich Investement and also helped build a very strong squad the year RA took over, even getting them a 2nd place league finish (their highest for nearly 50 years) whilst conceding the fewest goals and earning the highest points in a season!This is an excellent appointment by Leicester (unfortunately for us) and a clear sign of intent rather than hiring the usual suspects (e.g. Lennon, Warnock etc).

I don''t see Sunderland down there, to be honest it''s a tough call this season as Sunderland and now Leicester have pretty high profile managers, Newcastle have a very good signing and on paper a good squad and last Villa have kept Delf.....

I hate to say but Stoke could just be a team everyone has overlooked for relegation.

While having a dull moment at work I did a quick look through our games and did a win / lose / draw prediction and without being ''pro norwich'' landed us a reasonable 40 points. Safe for us then. Watford and the cherries will both go down I think, Leicester will secure safety as I agree with a few that''s a great appointment. Still rather have Alex though!

Indy, you can''t base the logic of Sunderland and Leicester having high profile managers as the reason why they''ll stay up, we''ll be relegated by Christmas by that logic!

Oh and has anybody mentioned that Ranieri managed to lose at home to the Faroe Islands in his last job!?

I''m not solely basing my thinking behind high profile managers but these guys have experience and long term connections which gives them an advantage in the transfer market and a draw for players.

Additionally Sunderland have had a few seasons up here and have a decent squad, Leicester are into their second season and building nicely.

I don''t see our current squad in the same green & yellow tinted glasses, our squad is one of the weakest along with Bournemouth & Watford and we are one of the favourites for relegation at the moment.

Neil has proved to be a great motivator and has a good eye for tactics, but this is a huge step up over the season.

17th would be a great achievement.

It can be both a + and a - to get a well known guy in - they will have connections, but will they be the right ones, and get in the right guys for what''s needed? Big names can come with unwanted baggage. I''m far less convinced by Ranieri than Indy, that''s for sure.

You can argue many ways about these things, but I don''t see Leicester as being hugely strong, Sunderland seem perennial strugglers whoever is in charge (including MO''N), and there''s several others who might or might not be down there. Quite simply, it is too early to know what will happen, we could be poor and relegated by Christmas, but could equally do similarly to when we were last promoted (IMO we are far better positioned to).

What I do find disturbing is how or why so many of our supposed supporters seem to want to write us off so readily.

It''s not writing us off its being realistic!

Our defence which is pretty much the same conceded the second most goals the season we got relegated, our attack consists of players who struggle to score at this level, we have a squad who are too good for Championship but barely good enough for top flight.

Yes they might well hit the ground running and storm away from the bottom into mid table, that would be fantastic, but realistically it''s about building on promotion with a few quality players who improve our starting 11 and that''s not happened yet. Mullumbu is a solid squad player and will push Tettey, Johnson and Howson no doubt, but not a player who would be first name on my team sheet.

All the players who raise an eyebrow have passed us by and we have 4 weeks to palace at home.

That will be the acid test, palace at home will be one of the games where we should hope to pick up 3 points, draw at worse.

I think the general reaction of Leicester fans to Ranieri''s appointment has been that they''re quite underwhelmed and see him as one of those guys who''s just clinging on to the managerial merry go round.

He may have been at some big clubs but he''s been sacked something like 6 times in the last 10 years and his latest position with Greece was an utter disaster.

He''s also the complete opposite to Pearson who despite his quirks had got Leicester performing well, which won''t be great continuity for a side who had seemed to get to grips with Premier League football at the end of last season.

The only reason he has a good win ratio is because he''s been at bigger clubs where they have had the resources and expectations to do well, but he has in almost every instance fallen short.... a perpetual failure.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Ricky Spanish"]They''re still going down alongside two of Villa, Watford, Newcastle or maybe Bournemouth

I''m fairly sure that''s your bottom 5 though with us or West Brom/Palace a decent points gap but only a couple of places above[/quote]Watford,Bournemouth,Norwich,Sunderland,Leicester . That wont be far off the bottom 5 .Villa and Newcastle will be fine , they always are .[/quote]

Sherwood is a joke. "Just go out and play" may work at a big club like Spurs with intelligent players and may give a tactically restricted squad like Lamberts Villa a new lease of life for a while but they''ll be found out big time next year. Whether they stay up or not will be on their ability to find a good replacement for Sherwood.

McLaren will struggle as well, the atmosphere at that club is poisonous and only heading one way. Someone like McLaren is awesome for a club on the up but he always struggles when things get tough.

Those two clubs'' squads are currently better than ours, but considering our vastly superior manager, upward momentum, feel good factor and stable boardroom I''m almost certain we''ll finish above those two. Neither of them will spend much either

Villa have just had a bid of £9m for one of the best young left backs around, Jordan Amavi and Newcastle have already spent £15m of Wijnaldum and had a £15m offer for excellent young striker Mitrovic accepted.

Norwich have a decent squad, but need serious improvements in defence and attack - which I''m sure will be coming. I do worry that the gear change in signings mid and lower mid table clubs are making is leaving Norwich a little flat footed.

As for Ranieri, it is an odd choice but I do like him as a manager. Whether he can work at Leicester is something we will all know better by January. The massive swing from a Pearson to Ranieri is a worry for fox fans though I''m sure.

As for Sherwood - he talks up this ''go out and play'' thing to the media, but Tottenham and Villa weren''t as naive as some like to say. (Although Villa did cock it up in the FA Cup final).

I keep hearing how we have a PL squad that''s better than when we went up in 2011. But the step up in the PL transfer market since Lambert''s season leaves me thinking that we''re in an equivalent position.We''re not necessarily any richer after a period of high inflation, and we''re back to square one with the football.

[quote user="Stiflers Mom"]Great appointment by Leicester showing their ambition unlike our feckless board.

It''s getting more and more depressing by the day. How much longer must we suffer these buffoons running out club?[/quote]

Predictable to the last Waveney. But you haven''t agreed with yourself on this thread yet, hurry up and do so.