Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Our chances v Boro

Personally I would split it  50 - 50 although the perceived open spaces at Wembley could suit us, especially Redmond.Perhaps this will turn out to be the game where we finally prove capable of wearing the "best squad in the Championship" tag.Since AN''s appointment it has become fairly clear just how much the Adams experiment failed and that the disastrous dip in results mid-season likely caused us to not actually win the league.Win or lose, it will have been a decent season and not devoid of interest. Our stragle hold of the binmen prevailed.Perhaps I am posting this just to interrupt the constant barrage of postings about Wembley tickets. Inevitable, but not interesting in the slightest.

Pure 5050

Boro seem to think they''ve say down for 70 minutes to victory already

[quote user="BroadstairsR"] it has become fairly clear just how much the Adams experiment failed [/quote]

I''m going to argue that point, because overall, he had a whole range of decent results, at a time when we needed a real positive approach - and we got that.  He only ran into difficulties when the momentum came to a halt and didn''t quite have the strategies to overcome it.   He also went without fuss, whether jumped or was given a push or a mixture of both, enabling us to get the man we wanted in - and we wouldn''t have got AN without first having had Adams, as AN was not available or fully fledged as a successful manager until he had shown his worth in the SPL for a few months, after his promisimng promotion with Hamilton.  

If we hadn''t had Adams, we probably would have been landed with someon like a Malky or a Lennon - and a lot of people could see the difficulties with those two - and history has proved them correct imo.   It''s been a good season overall, yet to reach it''s climax too - and whether we are promoted or not Adams has been part of that season.  He''s kept his dignity and has my respect for what he did this season - and yes I did call for him to go - it was necessary - and tbh -  things haven''t turned out too badly!

A few posts from Norwich fans mention pitch size and how it may suit you. Do you realise that our pitch size is closer to that of Wembley than yours is.

As for chances, although Ipswich are the only playoff side to take points from us this season, I would much rather be playing them than you lot. This is too close to call.

[quote user="GrumpyBear"]A few posts from Norwich fans mention pitch size and how it may suit you. Do you realise that our pitch size is closer to that of Wembley than yours is.

As for chances, although Ipswich are the only playoff side to take points from us this season, I would much rather be playing them than you lot. This is too close to call.[/quote]

It is the perceived difference in size - some pitches seem a lot bigger because of their surroundings - if you have played tennis, you will know that every court seems a different size until you get used to it - Wembley seems cavernous to footballers - the occasion, the importance, the huge audience etc etc.   Our pitch is only a yard smaller anyway.   50 - 50 seems about right, though.

[quote user="GrumpyBear"]A few posts from Norwich fans mention pitch size and how it may suit you. Do you realise that our pitch size is closer to that of Wembley than yours is.

As for chances, although Ipswich are the only playoff side to take points from us this season, I would much rather be playing them than you lot. This is too close to call.[/quote]
I think the pitch size is pretty irrelevant GB, the fact that the pitch is at Wembley makes the difference, and yes, too close to call sums it up.
Btw, I have seen one or two posts on this site that were none too complimentary of Boro, and Boro fans, I hope you guys from Teeside understand that by far and away the majority of Norwich fans don''t harbour those sort of juvenile prejudices and want nothing other than a Norwich win, fair and square with no animosity or nonsense.

Our chance of winning is 52%

Ironic isn''t it that we''d probably prefer to play Watford than Boro and they''d prefer to play the scum than us - well I guess the latter isn''t really a surprise, it''s just saying "we''d rather play a team who are worse than you".

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Personally I would split it  50 - 50 although the perceived open spaces at Wembley could suit us, especially Redmond.Perhaps this will turn out to be the game where we finally prove capable of wearing the "best squad in the Championship" tag.Since AN''s appointment it has become fairly clear just how much the Adams experiment failed and that the disastrous dip in results mid-season likely caused us to not actually win the league.Win or lose, it will have been a decent season and not devoid of interest. Our stragle hold of the binmen prevailed.Perhaps I am posting this just to interrupt the constant barrage of postings about Wembley tickets. Inevitable, but not interesting in the slightest.[/quote]
It''s been the strangest and possibly most enthralling season I can recall in my forty-odd years of supporting the club.
Let''s not forget the Joe Royle here/gone controversy, the early promise and being top of the league, then the falling out and slipping backwards, the loaning out of Bassong, the sacking of the first team coach, an attempt to shore things up with the appointment of Michael Phelan, subsequently and swiftly moved on, the rise of the Scummers and "mind the gap", then the appointment of a virtual unknown to anyone south of the Scottish border, a dreadful debut match against Brentford and then an amazing run of results and a real galvanisation of the team, the club and supporters leading to a Wembley play-off final.  Oh, and three wins and a draw against the Binners.
It''s never dull supporting City, don''t get me wrong, but this has been like three seasons rolled into one.  And I haven''t even mentioned Gary Holt''s beard.

I recon our chances are pretty good, I would say marginally better than 50:50. That''s what the bookies recon and their normally not far out.

I hope and suspect that Boro''s record against us this season will lead to a bit of complaceny on their part and will be a motivational factor for us.

To be honest I am much happier going into this game having lost twice to them this season, will concentrate the mind IMO.

I sometimes think you would create an argument in an empty room LDC.Of course the Adams experiment failed. That long run of winles games which saw the side slipping into mid-table obscurity whereas  at one time we were ten points behind the binners and their bunch of freebies and cheapies. Virtually the whole of football had tipped us for top six or better.Adams realised he was failing and had the decency to resign. Good, good chap but not upto it.The consequences of this failure have nothing to do with Adams failure, more stemming from good judgement (at last) by McNally and the fact that a rookie manager from the Scottish leagues could turn our fortunes around the way he has done only emphasises NA''s inadequacies.I will contend that if NA had not been given the job we might well have already been promoted with either Mackay or Lennon or whoever.The fact that the debacle that the first half of the season had become led to the appointment of our current manager has little to do with the Adams experiment.

Sadly my money would be on Boro. If Alex Neil had been in charge all season, we''d have won the league at a canter.We struggle to break down well organised defensive teams, hate players running in behind us, and have a stupid habit of giving sloppy, retarded goals away (Ipswich at home in the playoffs- case in point).

I predict 1-1 with us going through during extras ime very late 119 minutes just before the pens. It will be close!

I would say whichever team turns up or doesn''t freeze or plays to its ability, but ........I saw the Derby v QPR game last season and despite being dross for 90 minutes, being totally outplayed, only 32% possession, a pass success rate of 64% one speculative hit and hope won it for the undeserving side in the last seconds.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"] it has become fairly clear just how much the Adams experiment failed [/quote]

I''m going to argue that point, because overall, he had a whole range of decent results, at a time when we needed a real positive approach - and we got that.  He only ran into difficulties when the momentum came to a halt and didn''t quite have the strategies to overcome it.   He also went without fuss, whether jumped or was given a push or a mixture of both, enabling us to get the man we wanted in - and we wouldn''t have got AN without first having had Adams, as AN was not available or fully fledged as a successful manager until he had shown his worth in the SPL for a few months, after his promisimng promotion with Hamilton.  

If we hadn''t had Adams, we probably would have been landed with someon like a Malky or a Lennon - and a lot of people could see the difficulties with those two - and history has proved them correct imo.   It''s been a good season overall, yet to reach it''s climax too - and whether we are promoted or not Adams has been part of that season.  He''s kept his dignity and has my respect for what he did this season - and yes I did call for him to go - it was necessary - and tbh -  things haven''t turned out too badly!

[/quote]How can you argue that he didn''t fail ? What you''ve said amounts to the same thing.It''s a simple equation :Manager signs three year contract after '' Europe wide search '' + same manager is suddenly '' let go '' half way through the season following a poor run of results  = Failure