Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Biggest Norwich crowd ever?

When was the last time we had a match where there were nigh on 39,000 Norwich supporters in one ground at the same time?    Can''t remember what we had in Cardiff, 35,000, I think.  In standing days, I can remember 32,000 in Carrow Rd, but that would have included some away supporters - so to get nearly 40,000 Norwich fans in one stadium must be getting up there in overall terms.....   

Our record 44,000 crowd v Leicester would have probably included c.40,000 City fans. I don''t know if that can be confirmed though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]My first game at Carra the attendance was 42,000 but there were a lot of Sheff Weds fans in there.[/quote]From memory there were 10,000 Wed fans at that game Nutty. They had about half the South Stand in terracing and presumably just a few seats in the Main Stand too. I expect there was a similar split for the Leicester FA Cup game a few years earlier.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The "unofficial" gate for the ''85 Milk cup final was 100,000.....from my memory of the day it was a 50/50 ish (maybe 55/45 in favour of Sunderland) split?[/quote]I think Sunderland had more tickets because there was a big block of them in the middle of the City fans on the terrace behind the goal. There was no segregation and no trouble at all.

I took a 6 year old Duncan and we were in seats shared with Sunderland supporters. At the end of the game the Mackem in front wanted to swap scarves but young Dunc was having none of it. So he just gave him his scarf saying "you won this today son"!

Then we didn''t get to take our place in Europe because we were hooligans apparently. Fanks Fatcha ....

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The "unofficial" gate for the ''85 Milk cup final was 100,000.....from my memory of the day it was a 50/50 ish (maybe 55/45 in favour of Sunderland) split?[/quote]I think Sunderland had more tickets because there was a big block of them in the middle of the City fans on the terrace behind the goal. There was no segregation and no trouble at all.[/quote]Fantastic day for football in troubled times.   Sunderland fans were fantastic, but I hads no idea there were so many fans from both clubs there. In 75, tickets were given around to all clubs so the split must have been different - to get mine as a student in London, I had to ride on my trusty moped, to Reading FC, to get one of the last remaining tickets.  No mobile phones or t''internet then........

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The "unofficial" gate for the ''85 Milk cup final was 100,000.....from my memory of the day it was a 50/50 ish (maybe 55/45 in favour of Sunderland) split?[/quote]I think Sunderland had more tickets because there was a big block of them in the middle of the City fans on the terrace behind the goal. There was no segregation and no trouble at all.[/quote]Fantastic day for football in troubled times.   Sunderland fans were fantastic, but I hads no idea there were so many fans from both clubs there. In 75, tickets were given around to all clubs so the split must have been different - to get mine as a student in London, I had to ride on my trusty moped, to Reading FC, to get one of the last remaining tickets.  No mobile phones or t''internet then........

[/quote]LDC - From memory I think Norwich in 1985 were given only 30,000 tickets initially but it may have been as may as 35,000 in the end. Sunderland got more as they had bigger League attendances. Quite a lot went to the Football League and various other affiliated bodiesWe''re getting far more this time - almost 40,000 - and the stadium holds only 90,000 so things have improved on numbers available at least.