Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Change in the laws of the game ?

I know it was in our favour but I feel it''s totally wrong to give a penalty and send the player off. All it would take to change it would be a different interpretation of the law, the man got sent off for preventing a goal scoring chance, but isn''t a penalty a goal scoring chance ?

In our case on Saturday it wasn''t a goal scoring chance. If Berra hadn''t handled it then it was in.

OP it wasnt a goal scoring chance....it would have been a goal there is a differenceCant believe you think the player staying on and us/anyone missing the pen makes it right

Also even if we score the pen, he''s still escaped any punishment. I''ve seen people argue that in these situations you should only be sent off if the pen is missed but then you get into potentially muddy waters of people deliberately missing a pen to get a key player sent off.

The other rule change you could consider would be like penalty tries in Rugby. For something like our incident just award the goal and give a yellow.

No

Seriously, the scummer knew what he was doing and justice was done

If it''s not a red it makes a mockery of the game

[quote user="king canary"]Also even if we score the pen, he''s still escaped any punishment. I''ve seen people argue that in these situations you should only be sent off if the pen is missed but then you get into potentially muddy waters of people deliberately missing a pen to get a key player sent off.

The other rule change you could consider would be like penalty tries in Rugby. For something like our incident just award the goal and give a yellow.[/quote]I see what you''re trying to do, but then the act becomes less of a deterrent for the defender, making it more likely for people to try it in an attempt to get away with it. (which we have seen refs miss those in the past).The rule is correct as it stands.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]In the same way a player may miss a goal scoring chance ?[/quote]

to be fair it s a bit of a poorly worded rule.. the ball will go over the line, and in the net, FACT, if that player doesnt stop it...

you can miss a penalty, fair enough.. but the red card is justice...

put it like this, we need to win to stay up next season in a relegation 6 pointer,late in the game Camerone Jerome takes it round the keeper and you are a a defender on the line... you know a draw will keep you safe and all you''ll get is booked and in no further trouble.. what do you do?

In such situations I''d say send the player off, and give the goal that would have been. The penalty could end up being saved after all.