Sign in to follow this  
LondonCanary

Number of Fans

Huge amount of complaining about tickets to wembley, but goes to show how many actual fans are out there that want to come and support the team. Obviously this is a hugely special occasion and will bring out the fairweathers, but looking at how quickly all our tickets have sold out and how many more are clamouring for more does this not show we could fill a bigger stadium regularly? Always capacity in the 95 percent mark and always huge away following to boot.

What do you lot think we could fill week in week out, 30,000...more?

[quote user="LondonCanary"]Huge amount of complaining about tickets to wembley, but goes to show how many actual fans are out there that want to come and support the team. Obviously this is a hugely special occasion and will bring out the fairweathers, but looking at how quickly all our tickets have sold out and how many more are clamouring for more does this not show we could fill a bigger stadium regularly? Always capacity in the 95 percent mark and always huge away following to boot.

What do you lot think we could fill week in week out, 30,000...more?[/quote]Nope. You have answered your own question with the word "fairweather"We could maybe get 30k+ for the bigger games of the season, but I suspect most games would still only be about 25k.

yeh ''actual fans'' is debatable, depending on how you define it, but also lots of people taking their wives/kids/grandmothers & mates that support other clubs or dont even really follow football etc just for a day out, not really representative of how many actually bother to attend regularly if the club expanded the stadium

We have one of the highest "bums on seats" ratios in the country over the last 10 years. Two consecutive boards (with very different approaches) have stated that demand is there for 35,000. The catchment area/potential support is a non-argument with over 1 million people in Norfolk and Waveney and virtually no other sporting competition. We have 22,000 season-ticket holders, but many of these are shared and I know of tickets which are used by five plus people over a season (this could be one of the reasons the club gave season-ticket holders an extra ticket).

But the fact of the matter is we really wouldn`t know what would happen if we could expand to 35,000 until we did it. Would most of those shared season-tickets revert to full-time ones? Or would more people become casuals assuming they could get tickets for most games if they fancied it? God knows. But I have a feeling that if (when) we expand it will be done more for reasons of sponsorship and corporate hospitality, than the idea that we can guarantee a full-house every week.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]We have one of the highest "bums on seats" ratios in the country over the last 10 years. Two consecutive boards (with very different approaches) have stated that demand is there for 35,000. The catchment area/potential support is a non-argument with over 1 million people in Norfolk and Waveney and virtually no other sporting competition. We have 22,000 season-ticket holders, but many of these are shared and I know of tickets which are used by five plus people over a season (this could be one of the reasons the club gave season-ticket holders an extra ticket).

But the fact of the matter is we really wouldn`t know what would happen if we could expand to 35,000 until we did it. Would most of those shared season-tickets revert to full-time ones? Or would more people become casuals assuming they could get tickets for most games if they fancied it? God knows. But I have a feeling that if (when) we expand it will be done more for reasons of sponsorship and corporate hospitality, than the idea that we can guarantee a full-house every week.[/quote]The club is in a great position where some fans, like me, only renew their season tickets through fear of not being able to get casual tickets ( I know its easy to get odd ones, but a lot harder to get twos and threes together.)If I knew I could rock up any game and get tickets together with my lads, I doubt I would renew my season tickets.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Place would be full of plastics😄[/quote]

Jenkins stop it ! being divisive.

We don''t want to end up, dare I say it like a Boro with empty seats every home game, another 2-3000 might be enough to keep that balance between everyone renewing and allowing more come more often. I think we would struggle with much more than 30,000 capacity.

I suppose the time may come, if we have a good sustained run in the prem, that the club will think it a worthwhile investment but can''t see it happeneing in the short term.

Morty, you could also say that the club are in a terrible position because people who want a season-ticket have to settle for sharing one, and that former casual supporters drift away because it seems to get more and more difficult to get a ticket (particularly in the area you want,with the people you want to sit with). Neither of us know whether the above or your own scenario is the more normal and to be fair, neither do the club.

But I have heard supporters pooh-pooh both of the "Demand for 35,000" and the "We could have sold 60,000" statements, and to be honest if it comes to choosing between a clued-up professional like McNally some supporters who seem a little stuck in the past, I know who I`m with.

First time all season we have heard from these cant get a ticket brigade. Not many sell outs this season at 27000 so I suggest 35000 crowd Norwich v Man Utd would just cater for loads of Norfolk living Man Utd fans.

How many of the additional supporters that did not get a ticket will even come to a Norwich game next season if we dont go up

Considering there''s a season ticket waiting list of x thousand and the casual tickets sell out almost every game, I''d think we could fill 30k most games and a decent case could be made for the stadium being ramped up to 35,000 as long as investment wasn''t funnelled away from the team during that period.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]ramped up to 35,000 as long as investment wasn''t funnelled away from the team...[/quote]Where else would the money come from then?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Have a little think about the economics of a buy-to-let lappinitup......[/quote]Ah, so after managing to get ourselves debt free, we should get ourselves in hock again, on the off chance we sell out the ground a few times a season, once expanded?

I didn`t give an opinion on it Morty. I did say that it would probably be more based around sponsorship/corporate than ticket sales though, which the club would see as a buffer against poor ticket sales. Our financial position puts us in a fantastic position to negotiate a good deal and I do trust the current board to get it right, one way or the other.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I didn`t give an opinion on it Morty. I did say that it would probably be more based around sponsorship/corporate than ticket sales though, which the club would see as a buffer against poor ticket sales. Our financial position puts us in a fantastic position to negotiate a good deal and I do trust the current board to get it right, one way or the other.[/quote]If we could afford to build a new stand purely on corporate and sponsorship money, without any impact on the playing budget, or putting the club into debt,  then that would be a financial masterstroke on the part of the board.

Just another 1000 seats from somewhere would be perfect imo, we''d keep the season ticket demand and it would make getting a ticket for some games just that bit easier. It''s such a shame we can''t knock that hotel down!

For over 30k we''d simply have to reduce prices to something more reasonable to still fill the stadium. Obviously I''d love to see us in a 35k stadium at £20 casual tickets but financially it would be a disaster for the club