Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Boro's cringey "#believe"

Boro have had this #believe campaign going on through the playoffs, as if to think it gives them some devine right to be promoted. Epitomised also by Karanka coming out yesterday saying they are the team who "deserve to be in the Premier League".

It got me thinking though, if we were to have a hashtag campaign for the playoffs, or the final itself, what would it be? Mine would be #karma, after what they done at Carrow Rd. What would yours be?

agree totally crass ! leave that PMA stuff to the manager, i prefer the one off, like the one at 1p5wich "Alex Neil born in Scotland, made in Norfolk" bit of tongue in cheek.

How about plain and simple hash tag Norfolk and good

Er, if anyone considers that they ''deserve'' to be in the PL it is surely the side finishing third? Perhaps someone should tell their, clearly rather stupid, manager.

Where have those fans been in recent years

Plastic, fair weather, northerners.

[quote user="Mightyboro"]Its cringey but we do believe[/quote]

Every football fan should believe in their team so, naturally,  I have no problem with you feeling the same way. However, given that you feel confident because, after all, you have beaten Norwich twice this season, then surely you must wonder why the bookies are showing Norwich as the favourites to win. Certainly something for you to ponder and not spending your time getting too cocky.

I would make Norwich slight favourites due to you finishing higher and you having a better end to the season but ir all depends on how the game pans out. You''re a better passing team than us so it would be suicide for us to try and compete with but i do expect it to be fairly open. I expect Adomah to see a lot of ball and Clayton and Leadbitter will try to strangle your midfield. I think we''ll see a few tackles flying in early on.

Bamford is 50/50 as to whether he plays but i can see us playing 1 forward with Tomlin in behind which will congest the midfield.

Hey no need to argue, hardcore Smoggies are brilliant, or certainly were back in the day - welcomed me and my late dad into their supporters club at Ayresome in Spring 1972 in Ron Saunders'' promotion season, we lost 1-0 but that''s pretty well all I remember as we were mashed by kickoff having not had to put our hands in our pockets for two hours. Problem is today you might end up finding you''re trading online insults with an empty seat - even some of their own season ticket holders cringe at how few they had in until last Friday (even when they were in the Prem). Wouldn''t dream of trying to get a Wembley ticket from the Carra, I''ve only made it to Blackpool away this season (was in with the home support as it happens - now there''s club bedrock people), so there''s plenty ahead of me in the deserving stakes for Wembley, but I bet I could get a Boro ticket from one of their plastics if I was prepared to risk sitting beside a fake supporter. For the record I''ll be watching it on tv at my local non-League club with a few Geordies, a couple of Mackems, a Hammer, a Man Ure, and a Wolves diehard (a Swindon mate will still be on his way home from Wembley) and you know what, whatever the score we''ll raise a glass and celebrate football. By the way, everyone assumes it''ll be tight - don''t think so if we score first, we''ll run away with it if that happens as there''ll be nowhere to hide from what will be our pace up front when they have to open up. A Boro goalie tying his laces and playing with his gloves won''t get them any goals no matter how weak a ref we get.

When clubs start pushing such out, ditto Ipswich and Holland & Co, it''s a little desperate. Don''t need to big it up but only get on with it.

Boro have no right as much as us. We finished above them, do they forget that? They may have beaten us twice but this is a one off game and everything changes.

After all that...no fear!

[quote user="francis"]Bit rich Norwich fans talking about cringeyness. Remember drunk Delilah? :D[/quote]

Something that happened over 10 years ago, doesn''t get boring at all. And it''s hardly something Norwich fans can control or do anything about. The #believe however... :D

[quote user="Buh"]Where have those fans been in recent years

Plastic, fair weather, northerners.[/quote]

Couple of things:-

Population of Norfolk,- 850k

Population of Teesside-450k

1) how come Norwich have only average 6000 more than Boro this season when your catchment area is twice the size?

2) if our fans are so ''plastic'' why have only two teams brought more fans to the riverside than Middlesbroug went to theirs?

3) can you name one team in this league from a smaller city/area/county who has a smaller average in this league?

4) which team has taken the second most away fans in this league even though they have to travel more miles than any other fans?

[quote user="Buh"]Where have those fans been in recent years

Plastic, fair weather, northerners.[/quote]

Couple of things:-

Population of Norfolk,- 850k

Population of Teesside-450k

1) how come Norwich have only average 6000 more than Boro this season when your catchment area is twice the size?

2) if our fans are so ''plastic'' why have only two teams brought more fans to the riverside than Middlesbroug went to theirs?

3) can you name one team in this league from a smaller city/area/county than Middlesbrough who has a bigger average attendance in this league?

4) which team has taken the second most away fans in this league even though they have to travel more miles than any other fans?

Couple of points BigJim7. If you are going to compare like to like to try and make a point get your facts right.

You need to compare population of Teeside, 450k against population of Norwich. 230k. If you want to use the Norfolk figure you should quote the figure for the county Middlesborough has always been part of in order to make the comparison fair. So population of Norfolk, 850k. Population of Yorkshire, 5.3 million.

I''ll let you do the maths. Before you argue that Teeside is not Yorkshire, I am a Yorkshireman and my Grandfather was from Middlesborough, he was Yorkshire through and through.

''Straws'' and ''clutching'' come to mind.

Well with your local roots, you will know that from Northallerton down over, it''s Leeds territory, and always has been.

Anyone under the age of 50 won''t even remember Middlesbrough been in Yorkshire.

BTW - even working on your theory, they are 12 league teams in your Yorkshire.

Perhaps ''you can do the numbers'' on that one and answe the questions asked

[quote user="Knock off Nige"]I''m over 50 BigJim7, and it'' sad to hear that the younger generation in Teeside have no knowledge of their heritage.[/quote]

There is a difference between ''no knowledge'' and can''t remember.

BTW - half of TEESSIDE has never been in Yorkshire.

Population of Norwich, 230k, yet we average 6000 more than a team in an urban area with population of 450k. Not wanting to trade insults or question your loyalty to your team. Just correcting the fact.

Norwich is an urban area with a population 50% smaller than Middlesboro

Really think this has been mis construed. Maybe on purpose just to have a dig. But this is your forum so I get that.

But of course it''s cheesy, crass over the top and almost everything else I''ve heard it described as. But that''s the point it''s not meant to be serious. It''s half tongue in cheek, poking fun at ourselves and the over half trying to get the town behind the team. Give them something to get excited about. It''s been pretty horrible the last few seasons under Strachen, and then the most spectacular nosedive under Mowbray.

The karanka thing saying we deserved to be in the prem is way off the mark. It''s in reply to been asked what he thinks about his players efforts this season. And I''m sure most managers would say something when talking about rewards purely on effort alone.

Anyway guys that''s all I really wanted to say.

Uwe out

Just seen how the population of Norfolk is made up

Excluding surrounding areas like you have then we will just have to use only middlesbroughs population like you have just used norwich''s, and it''s 100k less than Norwich

So, you can ''do the maths'' again and answer the first questions ?

[quote user="BigJim7"]Just seen how the population of Norfolk is made up Excluding surrounding areas like you have then we will just have to use only middlesbroughs population like you have just used norwich''s, and it''s 100k less than Norwich So, you can ''do the maths'' again and answer the first questions ?[/quote]

Don''t lose sight of the big picture Jim. After you dropped out of the Premiership your average attendance fell significantly, reaching its lowest point last season, a 45% decline from your last Premiership season, whereas when Norwich dropped down to the third level the support continued to be close to what it was in the Premiership. That''s a true reflection of how Norwich loyalty compares to that of Middlesbrough.

Now, what were your questions again?