Sign in to follow this  
Budgie

Surely Francis Has Destroyed His Own Move?

I have read every thread that has appeared on this forum in recent weeks concerning the ifs and whereabouts of Francis.

Cutting through all the dross and dregs, however, I get the impression that the player himself has destroyed a move to Portsmouth and not primarily his agent or NW.

Why? Because of his very own attitude.

Surely no club will want to fork out £2m or so for a player who will not put in 100% effort game in, game out for his club.

I reckon Portsmouth know this - they no doubt watched him several times last season - and would know and have seen exactly what the thousands of dedicated City supporters know and have seen.

So why are Portsmouth flirting with him? I believe it is because they believe they have a management team that could educate and change him - if they could get him at the price they consider he is worth.

No doubt, Portsmouth have heard the rumours that the player is on strike, have also heard that he can ''not have his head right'' for certain games - and this is why the whole subject has quietened down.

What club would gamble on a player who carries these attributes along with his undoubted talent?

No, I think Francis should be made aware that the only way he will gain himself a new employer is to show that he is prepared to give 100% for the cause.

Worthy has said he will be called upon to face Inter on Friday. I believe this will be his last shop window to prove to those watching that he is worth a gamble.

Expect him to put in a stormer on Friday. If he doesn''t then expect him to be with the Canaries for a long, long time yet.

Totally agree with your final point there, Budgie - I reckon Francis will be out to prove a point tonight, however I sadly don''t think it will be to us, the supporters, but to Portsmouth, the potential buyers... which is a shame really.

I had a similar situation in my own work-life recently.  I was getting fed up of doing a certain aspect of my job and let my standards slide on it.  It was only after a talk with my manager that I realised that the only way I would get into a situation where I didn''t have to do said task, was to work really hard at it, and prove that I''m capable of moving up!

I reckon Nigel''s a good enough manager to have put a similar rocket up Damo''s backside....

[quote]I have read every thread that has appeared on this forum in recent weeks concerning the ifs and whereabouts of Francis. Cutting through all the dross and dregs, however, I get the impression that the...[/quote]

I agree.

His performance against Fulham probably put them off wanting to sign him.

ps, If Jagielka is worth £3.5mil then Francies is worth £4mil!!! 

Pompey are also playing Inter so may well be watching the game.  If Damo can''t get his head together for this game...... well I will leave it there or the mods will never let this post get anywhere near the board.

I sincerely hope you are right about his performance should he actually get onto the pitch this evening. However if he was unable to get his head right for what was possibly the biggest game in this football club''s history last May, in the hope that his was his last chance to impress on the big stage for potential suitors, will he really pull out the stops tonight?

No, I fear that he will just try to be disruptive in the hope that Nige & Co get fed up with him and ship him out asap. History with Francis does not show a man who tries very hard unless it suits his own warped sense of priority.

Mr Worthington has publicly stated there are midfield alternatives; canny Management Lesson Worthy style - me thinks Francis will be hoisted on his own petard; ergo welcome to the bench and Reserves; given enough rope between himself and his agent; they will each have hung Francis out to dry!

I agree with many of the posts and I  have said on earlier occasions that giving his showings during the last half of the season he would have reduced the need for his services and also his potential value in the market.  Worthy needs to stick to his guns and procure as much as he can get for him, this will be a benchmark that will discourage others with similar ideas in the club.  "Youre being paid to perform, just do it" 

Well , its all been said about Francis   and , with his mind set , I wouldn`t be surprised  if he`s feeding on it !    but what I think  hasn`t been explored in all this focus on  the deficiencies of  Francis , is the effect his attitude may have had on the morale of the team  during the last 5 months of last season ,   one bad apple spoils the barrel  ?  

" I have read every thread that has appeared on this forum in recent weeks concerning the ifs and whereabouts of Francis.

Cutting through all the dross and dregs, however, I get the impression that the player himself has destroyed a move to Portsmouth and not primarily his agent or NW.

Why? Because of his very own attitude. "

It would be good if players who acted like selfish prats found themselves out of work, but it''s never going to happen.

Look at Savage, Anelka, Bellamy...even way down the leagues small men with over-inflated ego''s like Shane Tudor (ex Cambridge United winger) find themselves a new club.

Or look at Rio Ferdinand and his contract situation at United.

Unfortunately Scrub I was in the same camp as you on the Francis hatred this summer. But Damien''s attitude in the last week says it all. His agent has done all the talking but he has done nothing to curb it. You only have to look as far as Huck''s in the promotion season to see how a player can react to his agents comments.

i was sitting in the city stand last night in front of the directors box and i saw David pleat from Portsmouth sitting there. plus Ian Dowie was there too.  

But, do you really think if we let him slip away for less than 2 million we can replace him?? Ok he''s not the sharpest card in the pack but if we can get him playing well, like some games last season, he is still a fantastic player. We''d be better off getting behind him and hoping he stays, was ironic last night when people booed him then 2 minutes later cheered him when he shot just wide!!

Francis employs the agent to represent him, this agent has been shooting his mouth off for weeks and Francis has said nothing. He is not disagreeing with what his agent is saying, so essentially he is condoning the agents actions. Francis is an arrogant and lazy player. he is overrated and inconsistant (even in division 1). If we can scrape 2 million for him I will be delighted. Get rid.