Sign in to follow this  
Brighton Yellow

Monday Pubs

I am not particularly impressed with the list of pubs on offer for Monday, especially considering the number of us wanting to calm our nerves. I am meeting a group of about 30 but not sure where to head.

The Baker Street area seems obvious as it’s only a couple of stops away however I have not been round that part of town for ages.

What does everyone have planned or can recommend?

Hello Brighton yellow

We may be going down Baker Street first then onto the Torch pub in Wembley, seems to be a big meeting point for a lot of us.

A large group are planning a mini pub crawl towards the stadium. Check out the Norwich City FC fans page on facebook.

Baker Street is a dump. Personally I would go drinking around Farringdon which is on the Met Line, as there are a lot of very nice pubs in that area.

Probably won''t see a lot of other Norwich fans but you can get decent beer and most of the pubs around Smithfield will be quiet as its a Bank Holiday. (Presuming they are open...)

All depends on where you are coming from and how you are travelling into London of course.

I''m not actively involved with the Caps any more, but they''re also planning to meet in the Farringdon area.

http://www.capitalcanaries.co.uk/social/were-off-to-wembley

Wouldn''t exactly describe Baker Street as a dump! There are a few pubs around there which have used before England games although those closest to the station will get rather busy.

Generally speaking the pubs we''ve been allocated near Wembley are dives. That doesn''t really matter too much pre football but personally will be having a few in central London then head to the ground about half one to get some atmosphere!

Baker Street was where I was thinking and I think I will try for. I have heard The Volunteer is good bet.

Bethnal, I am totally with you on Farringdon and would normally head there however I shall be travelling up from Woking so a bit of a faff… However I’m still not decided!

Brighton

The one everyone goes to is the Globe but because of that that''s probably the one I would swerve. There is a huge Wetherspoons above the station or alternatively are two or three reasonable pubs in the side streets between Baker Street and Marylebone and a reasonable one (although not really a football type pub) on Baker Street itself if you walk towards Lords.

Baker Street is awful, next to 6 lanes of traffic, with hundreds of tourist buses idling pumping out fumes, some poor sod in a Sherlock Holmes outfit who looks like he wants someone to put him out of his misery, Madame bloody Tussauds, 100s of lost tourists walking into you as they can''t see where they are going behind huge maps, pickpockets and everywhere charges double to take advantage of the out-of-towners.

There aren''t even that many pubs in the area around the station so everyone will pile into The Globe and it will take you 30 mins to get served (and 20 mins to come round after seeing how much they have charged you)

Take Capital Canaries advice and head to somewhere much nicer like Farringdon.

Come on guys! Pretty sure the spectacle is the football at Wembley and not the surrounding pubs.

Doesn''t matter whether it''s a dump. Get a beer down your neck make some noise for the boys in yellow and green

I''m heading up from the south coast too. There''s a Sam Smiths pub on Fleet Street, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. An hour there will set me up nicely for the jubilee line to Wembley Park.

Good pub BB. I do like Samuel Smith''s pubs in London. Decent beer and classy deco.

Aye, that always helps[Y] If you like a Guinness, their stout is very good.

You know it makes sense! Light and dark mild, alpine lager, £2.34 a pint. Always found it a decent old pub. No gimmicks, no telly, no music, proper beer.

Heading straight towards Wembley for atmosphere so will give The Torch a try

[quote user="BB"]I''m heading up from the south coast too. There''s a Sam Smiths pub on Fleet Street, Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. An hour there will set me up nicely for the jubilee line to Wembley Park.[/quote]Another great pub on Fleet St is Fullers brewery old Bank of England near Chancery Lane. Great beer but not cheap.Being a Bank Holiday best check on opening hours as I doubt they''d open much before 12.