Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Play off final team

Just been looking at the two teams we have put out against Middsbro this season - the away game was under a dfferent manager and I''ve discounted it as being largely irrelevant because of the formation, attititude, confidence etc etc.   But the last match against them, so recent, is interesting because the team is surely going to be similar to this on Monday, although  Grabban is going to be in the squad as probably is Josh Murphy - two players that can make a difference compared to our last game against them.   Last time it was -                          Ruddy, Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Howson, Tettey, Dorrans (Grabban 62),

Johnson (Hooper 78),                    Hoolahan (Redmond 78),                       Jerome. Subs (not used): Rudd, R

Bennett, O’Neil, Odjidja-Ofoe.One question do we start with Grabban - AN''s seemingly favoured first choice when available - or stick with Jerome who has done so well in the last few matches.   They will surely both feature on Monday - but which one to start?   I''d go with Grabban because he will show Middsbro something different than what they saw at CR and Jerome can come on at some stage.  The other question I would have is do we start with Redmond and Hoolahan - both superb recently, but against a strong Middsbro team, will we need to be more pragmatic at least to start with?  A classic strong and solid team for us - and very similar to the team put out against Middsbro last time - could be -                    Ruddy Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson   Howson Tettey Dorrans  Johnson                   Wes                GrabbanOr a more adventurous team would be -                  RuddyWhittaker Martin Bassong Olsson                 TetteyRedmond  Howson Wes Johnson                GrabbanMurphy, Hooper and Jerome all good off the bench options for both the above. I''d prefer the more adventurous option, but what would your team be? 

I''d certainly start with Jerome. Thought he did really well against Ipswich. Grabban to come on later. I''d also start Redmond...basically same team that played against Ipswich......?

[quote user="ball bag"]Obviously drop Martin for Bennett and Wes for Dorrans.[/quote]5 man midfield for me, including Dorrans and Wes just behind Jerome.Redmond to be saved for extra time.

[quote user="CDMullins"]RuddyMartin Bennett Bassong OlssonRedmond Tettey Dorrans Johnson HowsonJerome[/quote]Not having a go, but why drop Whits? He''s been playing well.

And putting in a player who will probably not be match fit? Whitts has earned his place at Wembley.

IMO Martin always has been and always will be a right back and a better right back than Whitts.Also really like Bennett

[quote user="CDMullins"]RuddyMartin Bennett Bassong OlssonRedmond Tettey Dorrans Johnson HowsonJerome[/quote]I really cannot see AN making sch a fundamental change in the defensive set-up at this late change in the proceedings, and neither should he.The Martin rb or cb debate seems to rumble on and on and in truth there''s probably not much in the right or wrong of it, either way. Neil is the third manager in a row to use RM as a central defender, throw in Strachan and the player''s own supposed preference and that''s a fairly heavy argument in favour of this move.The Martin v Whittaker debate rumbles on constantly as well. Personally, I like Whittakers added potential in an attacking role so I am not complaining. Again there is the thickness of a sheet of paper in the rights or wrongs of the present set-up.I like young Bennnett, but do wonder how long it will be before he shakes off the ''potential'' tag and becomes a regular pick, if ever.Is Turner likely to return to the fold? He has that ''stalwart'' image in my head and, despite the fact that AN clearly doesn''t fancy the player, I would welcome him.IF we succeed on Monday then the first purchase, IMO, should be of a genuinely class CM. If not, stick with what we have for now.

Will be the same team that started last week. I think Dorrans is an important player but who do you leave out. Johnson was poor last week and looked a yard off the pace but would be very harsh to drop him for the final.

Is Hoolahan and Redmond too attacking from the start at Wembley.

Or will Neil go two up top with Jerome and Grabban.

Redmond has to start for me.

Going to be very interesting who Alex starts with. Th start is crucial.

the only real unknown for me is the lewis - cameron choice; Alex has shown his preference for lewis but will the pressure game dismissal at rotherham count against him. Either starting is fine for us.

Personally I would start with Cameron; done very well for us, give him 60 mins, reward his goals and professionalism to then bring on an eager to impress grabban against some tiring boro legs.

Its not a change that Alex will make but I would also drop BJ. His goals have been crucial this season but his last two games were poor. I would change him for dorrans and remove the defensive shackles from Howson , who does better being truly box to box. All 4 midfielders to have a floating cross pitch role.

No changes at the back this late in the season although the cb position is our vulnerability.

Ruddy

Whits Martin Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Redmond Howson Wes Dorrans

Jerome

Subs

Rudd, Bennett, O''Neil, BJ Bennett, Hooper, Grabban

Play this guy in midfield?[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled3_zpslyctfxyy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled3_zpslyctfxyy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Smash n grabban wrote the following post at 23/05/2015 5:52 PM:

Must be unchanged from sc u.m at home.

Redders will cause carnage on a wide pitch like wembley.

From what I can see Wembely pitch is only a metre wider than CR, surprised me that.

They used to talk about the old Wembely pitch and tired legs in the grand old days of the FA cup, not so sure it applies now.

[quote user="Smash n grabban"]Must be unchanged from sc u.m at home.

Redders will cause carnage on a wide pitch like wembley.[/quote]Out of interest I googled pitch sizes.Carrow road = 114 yards by 74 yards.Wembley = 115 yards by 75 yards.So not a lot of difference, I think the old Wembley pitch was bigger.

[quote user="morty"]So not a lot of difference, I think the old Wembley pitch was bigger.[/quote]It was [:)]

hoolahan should not start, he got absolutely owned in the league game, probably one of the worst performances he had in a city shirt, we looked instantly better when redmond replaced him but it was way to late, hes lightweight and skill full but the wrong choice against a physical organised defensive unit like borofight fire with fire to start with and then if they open up hes an option later onhave him on the bench in case it goes to extra time but dont start him

Agree with iron-stan. Dorrans must start ahead of Wes. Judging from previous encounters Boro will take the game to us in the first 15 minutes and Dorrans presence in midfield will make things tighter. Actually I prefer Dorrans simple first time ball style to Wes as the latter is frequently caught in possession and plays a lot of short passes to team mates who are already closely marked. OK Wes to come on later to change things if needed. Also Jerome must start.

Spot on, Wes is not strong enough and loses possession, agree completely with last 2 posts, all this fan adoration for Wes and Russ is a nice guy bollox, they are both the weakest links and should be goodbye.

Ball Bag - not sure why you have put Hoolahan & Russell Martin in the same bag - the only thing they have in common is that they are 2 of our longer serving players - nothing more. They play 2 different positions. I don''t really agree with Martin''s new 3 year contract - he has served the club well in the past & contributes well going forward but his primary function is to defend and he doesn''t give me any confidence. Hoolahan on the other hand is considered one of the best attacking players in the division. We''ll not talking about 3 or 4 seasons ago we''ll talking about this season - the opposition are sh#t scared of him,  the only people that don''t appreciate the fact is a few Norwich fans that think we actually have better players than him - If we did we''d be at the beach right now with either Bournmouth & Watford, not at the "last chance salon".  The 2 teams are evenly matched. We are considered to have the best squad in the division however Karanka has transformed a bunch of 16th placed journeymen into very competent promotion challenging unit. I have analyzed  their weaknesses - there are none. The only advantage that I can see is we have Hoolahan and Redmond in our team & if they both play Karanka can not devise formations / tactics to keep them out. Many would consider playing 2 lightweights a risk - I totally agree. But we need to play to our strength not to theirs. Boro have conceded the least number of goals in the division, our last game with them showed why.  We simply cannot go out there thinking we can compete with them through physicality. To do that we would be playing their game. To accommodate a "stronger" player and  sacrifice either Hoolahan or Redmond would be advantage gone. It ''d be like Liverpool having Suarez and not playing him.I understand the thinking of those who opt for a stronger midfield. It appears the safest method but we need goals to win this !Boro are where they are today because of Karanka. He has not got as much quality to play with as AN. AN has received a lot a praise since he''s arrived. He has got to out think Karanka to pull this off. If he does then all the accolades hes received are justified. AN will have 2 spearheads to play with. Karanka will setup his formations to stifle this. AN will then use the extra quality in the team to take advantage of the space Hoolahan and Redmond will create - it will be like chess and players will take time to adjust. Once our players have settled and it''s nil all - everything will take care of itself.