Sign in to follow this  
Ren

Wembley - Tips and Advice...

I thought it might be useful for those that have been to Wembley before to share a few thoughts on previous experiances, so feel free to add or shot me down if you disagree.

Beer - last time I went it was £4.80 a pint of Carlsberg - Oct 2014

Mechandise - If you want merch, get there early as the queues are normally long!

Food - avoid, very expensive and overpriced.  Take your own or eat elsewhere.

Programmes - £6 for last years final.  They normally have kiosks inside and out.  Normally seperate from other merch.

Agree that the food is expensive, but for a football ground I think the quality is fairly good. The pies are always decent and had the fish and chips a couple of times and lived to tell the tale!

If the trains are running catching the Chiltern Railways line in from Marylebone is an option, but you really can''t beat the walk down Wembley Way from Wembley Park Station, so going that way would be my advice to really soak up the atmosphere.

As stated elswhere, traffic is a nightmare. Find a tube stop nearby and either park at the station or use Parkonmydrive.com to secure cheap, secure parking near to a tube stop.

Agree with walking down Wembley Way for the atmosphere. Was there for the Poland game (and being Polish), the sight of 30,000 poles striding down Wembley Way was incredible. I''m looking forward to seeing it in Yellow and Green!

Speaking of which, do we know when any outcome of talks regarding trains is expected? I keep googling it and checking the news but haven''t seen anything recently

I think talks have been ongoing all week, so I''m guessing it could be any time up til Friday afternoon.

The burger vans outside are a bigger rip-off than what is on offer in the stadium. Try and avoid unless you''re starving.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Agree that the food is expensive, but for a football ground I think the quality is fairly good. The pies are always decent and had the fish and chips a couple of times and lived to tell the tale!

If the trains are running catching the Chiltern Railways line in from Marylebone is an option, but you really can''t beat the walk down Wembley Way from Wembley Park Station, so going that way would be my advice to really soak up the atmosphere.[/quote]I''d agree with this. I''d also note that if you''re planning a pre-game beer in one of the Norwich assigned pubs, they are all close to Wembley Park tube station. If you plan on getting a train to one of the overground stations you''ll have a good 20-30min walk past the stadium from Wembley Central station, or about 15-20 mins from Wembley Staduim station to get to one of those pubs.

If you want to take a bottle of water/coke/whatever in with you, make sure you take a spare screwtop. They''ll take it off the bottle and chuck it in the bin as you go in, but if you''re like me and can''t stand your drink going flat it helps to have a spare in your pocket to screw back on the moment you''re inside the stadium (as if I''d be able to hit a player from the top tier anyway?!).

but with a paper aeroplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV6EP9bBbac

Tipsters, are they okay with you taking a camera?(I was hassled by stewards at Carrow road for having a camera. But its fine if you take pics with a mobile phone...)

They do have a long list of things they won''t let you take in, and rules/regs (a selection below). I''m just astonished that I can''t take any ''explosives'', ''illegal substances'' and ''weapons'' in with me! I mean, wtf?!

5 All persons seeking entrance to the Ground acknowledge WNSL''s right to search any person and their belongings whether outside or inside the Ground and to refuse entry to or eject from the Ground any person refusing to submit to such a search.

6 To view a full list of articles which must not be brought into the Ground see below. Prohibited items include knives, fireworks, explosives, smoke canisters, aerosols, air-horns, noisemakers, flares, weapons, dangerous or hazardous items, illegal substances (including legal highs), laser devices, bottles, glass vessels, cans, poles, or any article that may be used as a weapon and/or compromise public safety or which may pose a hazard or nuisance to any other person, or any article to be used for a commercial or a charitable purpose. Any person in possession of such items will be refused entry to or ejected from the Ground

18 No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate license) may bring into the Ground or use within the Ground any equipment which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data in relation to the Event or the Ground. Copyright in any unauthorised recording or transmission is assigned (by way of present assignment of future copyright pursuant to section 91 of the blah blah

Re food - you can take a bag in and as long as you have not got food to feed an army I have never had any taken from me. Drinks as per above poster, they remove the lids.

Re cameras - I have only ever seen the stewards speak to one guy who had a massive lense and he was just asked not to use it. It was not confiscated.

[quote user="Ren"]Re food - you can take a bag in and as long as you have not got food to feed an army I have never had any taken from me. Drinks as per above poster, they remove the lids.

Re cameras - I have only ever seen the stewards speak to one guy who had a massive lense and he was just asked not to use it. It was not confiscated.[/quote]Cheers, should be fine, I shall select my smaller camera!

The other thing I''d say is take a pair of decent binoculars. Watching a game at the back of Wembley is much like watching from the top of a multi-storey car park.

is there many Norwich fans in London Sunday night, lots of boro arriving Sunday, we tend to take over Trafalgar square midnight on the few times we have played at Wembley, the first time 1990 they was over 10,000 by 12am, be good to see some Norwich there

This is a really helpful thread.

I can''t stand being ripped off at big events.

Can you take in alcohol in plastic bottles excepting that you will get asked to take the caps off?

And what about thermos flasks?

Thanks

good point. we have all the pubs around wembley park so if training it in mqke sure you use metropolitan line or jubilee. bakaloo or wemb central overground will see you passing all the boro pubs.

better way to approach the stadium is wmbley park as its the best viee of the iconic stadium

You cant take alchol into the stadium - in years gone by they used to make you down it outside the stadium, but I am not sure if there is now a by-law around Wembley that you can not long drink on the streets.

Dont forget you certainly are not allowed to drink on the tube anymore.

Another useful tip is - if you have an oster card - remember to bring it!

Just to reiterate Ren''s point about Oyster cards, it is much cheaper now to use Oyster; otherwise regsiter contactless card for pay as you go. Paper tickets are much dearer.

I was there for England Women vs Germany in November.

if you are up in the gods the view is excellent and for a stadium that size I was suprised how close you actually were to the pitch (Better than old Trafford and St James park).

If driving there are 4 massive car parks serviced by Wembley (you need to book them in advance via wembley) which will have ample space and will be fairly quick to get out of. there are also a number of smaller car parks run by companies on the way.

when driving home for the love of god Avoid the North Circular and head the other way out towards the M1 and join the m25 that way.. we had to take my GF''s dad back to suffolk after the game so went via the north circular.. we moved 12 miles in 3 hours...

the service at Wembley is excellent and there''s a shopping village outside the ground with various restaurants etc and shops. well worth looking round.

The Wembley shop is decent if cramped, and although the attendance at the game i went to was only 50,000 they were limiting people going into the shop to avoid crushes etc.

Food and drink prices, let''s just say "Festival prices" for those that know what that means.

I have seen a few pictures of the programme cover on twitter - £7 for those budgeting the day.

Anyone know if there''s likely to be genuine NCFC merchandise available alongside the ''not so genuine''? At Carra I saw some flags on poles being sold with ''Were going to Wembley!''. Were we?

always check the spelling on flags. I bought a flag in Cardiff which said "cannaries". Doh!!

Re Merch - there normally is a load of stuff for sale for each team.  Not sure if this comes from the Carra club shop or Wembley.  Plus I am sure youll be able to get a few bits to do with tha match. 

Half and half scarf anyone?

[quote user="Ren"]

Re Merch - there normally is a load of stuff for sale for each team.  Not sure if this comes from the Carra club shop or Wembley.  Plus I am sure youll be able to get a few bits to do with tha match. 

Half and half scarf anyone?

[/quote]NO!