Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

How do you counter a high tempo pressing strategy?

In answer to CUSDP

I''m really nervous about this game. It''s no secret that all that every Boro supporter would''ve rather face Ipswich rather than yourselves. We can win this, but we really need to be on our game. You still have the best squad in the championship and if it wasn''t for the early season managerial mess should really have finished top two.

Anyway if you press high and force Leadbitter and Clayton back that will force tiling into dropping deeper to find the ball. All of that will isolate Bamford or Kike upfront and I doubt we''ll score. If you try and attack down the flanks and cross balls in we''ll cope well enough and wait until you''ve either over commited or stretched and try and hit you on the break.

It definitely won''t be like at your place because we went there looking not to lose (got lucky with the own goal and the win) but this game we need to win

It should be a great day but like us or hate us either way we don''t have to play each other again for at least a year

Uwe out

[quote user="UweFuchsHe"]In answer to CUSDP

I''m really nervous about this game. It''s no secret that all that every Boro supporter would''ve rather face Ipswich rather than yourselves. We can win this, but we really need to be on our game. You still have the best squad in the championship and if it wasn''t for the early season managerial mess should really have finished top two.

Anyway if you press high and force Leadbitter and Clayton back that will force Tomlin into dropping deeper to find the ball. All of that will isolate Bamford or Kike upfront and I doubt we''ll score. If you try and attack down the flanks and cross balls in we''ll cope well enough and wait until you''ve either over commited or stretched and try and hit you on the break.

It definitely won''t be like at your place because we went there looking not to lose (got lucky with the own goal and the win) but this game we need to win

It should be a great day but like us or hate us either way we don''t have to play each other again for at least a year

Uwe out[/quote]

Just put his on the wrong thread!

It''s interesting re: boro, to my mind they have played some tactical blinders away from home (Derby, us) - soaking up pressure and winning by a goal ( Brentford even had c60% possession the other night), but have come badly unstuck in some key games too (failed to turn up at Cherries, Watford both fairly recent) that we want to watch carefully.

We are yet to lose an away game under AN, and IMO if we turn up with our away ''attitude'' the game could be there for us - what I mean is maybe we want to avoid pressing forward too much as it could play into their (rather tedious but effective) tactics; it will be hard, however we play it, though.

The most obvious, standout aspect that I saw in our home game against ''boro (& indeed against Ipswich) was our reversion to head tennis & hoofball. It''s also obvious that it''s what the opposition seek to achieve, to panic us & disrupt our game.

The solution - easier said than done! - is to get the ball on the floor, put our collective foot on the ball & just keep passing it, purely to keep possession. We really don''t need to go for the immediate breakthrough, we need to wear them out against our greater footballing ability, bide our time & take our chances when they come - which will undoubtedly increase as the game progresses. In a word, patience,

Simples, no?? of course not! They may well batter us for 15 minutes & score. But we have to keep probing (our midfield, especially Wes, is key) & rely on our greater ability in order to prevail, not just keep bombarding their defence with poor & pointless crosses. We - the crowd & the players - must have the confidence to know we will ultimately succeed. 90 minutes is a long time.

OTBC!!

As much as we fixated on Hoolahan for his comedy dive, he''s tricky. Redmond''s obviously a threat, Jerome too, and if you glance at the Boro boards, you''ll see a lively discussion about limitations at right-back, with Dean Whitehead playing as a converted midfielder vs Ryan Fredericks. Not giving away any trade secrets there: Tomas Kalas had the position locked up during his loan spell.

I think ron obvious nails what happened at Carrow Road: you got impatient, gave up on the tactics that looked most threatening, and started hoofing in deep crosses and long balls. If you can push Leadbitter and Clayton back, you''ll make chances, but you''ll also need to trust your centre halves'' ability to cope with a quick break unassisted. Even if Bamford doesn''t start, the chunky juggernaut that is Lee Tomlin can do some damage coming from deep positions.

Would we have preferred to face Ipsw*ch? Definitely, even though they did us over at their place and had a few chances at ours before we made it comfortable.

It''s not in the nature of Boro fans to be confident about anything, but this season Karanka has shown that we can defend a lead instead of leaking goals late, and not panic about fancy stuff outside the box until it represents a threat. The bookies make Norwich narrow favourites right now, and I don''t think anyone on Teesside will mind that.

You''ll need to raise your game to score against us. That''s just a statement of fact. We need to show up on the day, and we haven''t done that consistently in big matches. Great contest for the neutrals, terrible for our blood pressure.

And let''s just say that you did what you needed, pressed hard early, throttled the midfield, got the early goals and defended comfortably for most of the match. Alex Neil got Norwich to play the way Boro played at Carrow Road.

I wish Boro had shown up to make it more of a contest, but the best team won on the day. Que sera sera.

It was pretty straightforward after we got the second goal. I didn''t notice our goalkeeper going down like he''d been hit by a sniper with no one anywhere near him though. And it was funny how few of the Boro players suffered injuries needing treatment in this game compared to CR.

Very satisfying that we simply outplayed them, no need for any of that malarkey.

Fair play to you for coming back on here Bob, few supporters from other teams do if the results don''t go their way.And I can''t help thinking the comments about our "thuggish" CBs are based on the overacting from the Boro players, Vossen in particular I seem to remember. But I will admit to wearing yellow and green glasses.