Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Steven Whittaker Reborn

Very little recognition even now for the way he has performed. He seems to have been involved in our most important goals - yesterday, against the binners, and in other key games through the latter part of the season. Full backs are such important players in the modern game and both of ours have been brilliant, Olsson and Whittaker, and although we definitely need another right back to cover, i feel confident these two can step up next season if they carry on where they left off.

Partially agreed

Whitaker has been great since February but does still get caught out of position and this will be magnified in the PL

We simply must get some defenders in, there are a lot of RBs available on a cursory study.

Olsson and Whitts have had a lot more cover under Alex Neil than they did with Adams.

Especially when Howson was playing on the right for a chunk of the season. Whittaker was never a bad player, just expected to produce in the final third and defend the entire flank with little help - same could be said for Olsson.

I do worry that he might not have the speed a modern full-back tends to have. But I don''t see him being a problem in the Prem - someone to challenge him for the position is vital though.

Always said Whitts is a good player. Rarely has he let us down.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Olsson and Whitts have had a lot more cover under Alex Neil than they did with Adams.

Especially when Howson was playing on the right for a chunk of the season. Whittaker was never a bad player, just expected to produce in the final third and defend the entire flank with little help - same could be said for Olsson.

I do worry that he might not have the speed a modern full-back tends to have. But I don''t see him being a problem in the Prem - someone to challenge him for the position is vital though.[/quote]

Yes, but there isn''t a right back on the planet, at least not in the planet that we operate in, who can cope well without cover. That is what Neil has got right - the balance of the team that allows Whittaker to get forward and linkup well with Redmond Howson and Hoolahan but to also retain his positioning and those around him when we''re without the ball. I agree i''m probably looking at it with rose tinted specs with all the euphoria of yesterday but even then i think he has shown improvements on his biggest weakness of getting played around too easily in his RB area and caught out on crosses. He was sound in that yesterday but also great in his strengths of intercepting opposition play and setting off attacks down the right. I actually think Martin has been the more dubious defender in recent games, albeit he played well yesterday and has been a fabulous servant to us. 

Whittaker was as sharp as I have ever seen him yesterday.  If he can carry on like that, he''ll be well up to scratch for next season. Has improved - but then all of them have improved under AN.

Whits has been great under AN. Having Tettey and Martin there cover him helps tho as he isn''t the quickest. I cannot for the life of me fathom why boro didn''t put Adomah on that side though as they did to devastating effect at the riverside. Tomlin was a far easier threat for him to deal with.

He cost us nothing too (after the Rangers debacle) a fact which many overlook. A bargain and he owes our club nothing.

I rate him a lot, a bit slow sometimes in defence against speedy wide-men, but he doesn''t seem to be so when attacking, which is one of his strengths. There is often the hint of the unconventional in his forward play, although I can''t put a finger on it.

Quite an intelligent player as well.

I just wish he''d send me the number of his transplant surgeon, as I''m beginning to thin a bit on top.

I''m sure we all have favourite moments from yesterday''s match but mine was provided by Whittaker. I believe we were trying to get out of our defensive zone and the ball was played out to the touchline to Whittaker. Bamford descended upon him quickly and Whittaker, cool as a cucumber, did a nutmeg on Bamford and went around him. It was at that moment that I knew the high level of confidence that existed in the Norwich team was not going to let Middlesbrough back into the game. 

He could have disappeared after the Brentford game and the grief he got but he got stuck in, worked hard and has been great for a lot of games since. I think the way Alex handled that was brilliant as well, taking the blame and backing his man 100%.