Sign in to follow this  
ruthers1

We're all off to Wembley but will the players 'turn up?'

In my lifetime I can remember 6 massive ''cup finals'' for NCFC.

Worryingly City failed to ''turn up'' in 5 of them:

Everton (FA Cup Semi)

Sunderland (FA Cup Semi)

Birmingham (Play Off final)

Fulham (Prem league)

West Brom (Prem league)

Wembley 85 and the own goal aside it''s not a great record in the really big games since.

Its not a great record, but as I keep saying to my Ipsh*t colleague about their "glory years", its history!!

We''ve never been in this position, with this manager and this bunch of players - I can guarantee you AN will not give a passing glance at the history books.

OTBC

[quote user="ruthers1"]In my lifetime I can remember 6 massive ''cup finals'' for NCFC.

Worryingly City failed to ''turn up'' in 5 of them:

Everton (FA Cup Semi)

Sunderland (FA Cup Semi)

Fulham (Prem league)

West Brom (Prem league)

Wembley 85 and the own goal aside it''s not a great record in the really big games since.[/quote]I would scrub that from the list for starters. After a rocky first few minutes I remember a very level game against a team that had finished above us in the table, and we took the lead. There is an argument that Worthington was too cautious with his substitutions, but I got no sense that we as a team were not up for it.

Way I see it its going to be a straight 50/50 scrap and I love it

I have no expectations either way but have faith in the players and manager

Ruthers, whle it''s understandable that many Norwich fans will feel some anxiety or, as in your case, go through the history books to find reasons to justify your anxiety, we ALL ( including you) will hope the Norwich players and coaching staff are not dwelling on such thoughts, and I''m certain they are not. Now, polish yourself off, get your best gladrags ready, tune in to the positive vibes that you see everywhere, then head to Wembley with your Norwich head held high and filled with courage and cheer. Wish I could be there with you.  

[quote user="Buh"]Way I see it its going to be a straight 50/50 scrap and I love it

I have no expectations either way but have faith in the players and manager[/quote]

^^^ This.

You seriously are a misery guts ruthers. Just posting negativity for the sake of it.

Why are only the semifinals that we lost on your list?

Why is Fulham there but Portsmouth not?

WTF have you got WBA in there for?

Jeez, you''re going to be a barrel of laughs on Monday...

And as for accusing the 2002 play off final team of not turning up...City were the better team on the day. Worthy went too defensive too early I grant you, but not turning up...no way.

Quite so, Nutty - what a miserable cherry-picked list! What about the key games we''ve won - turning round a first leg sf deficit v binners in 85, beating Bayern, beating M''bro to finish 3rd (and end up in Europe), we''ve won any number of promotions over the years. And just what the flying **** is the Milk Cup Final v Sunderland doing in there: we won, deservedly so, in a game most had us down as second favourites.

Some people really are quite feeble in their miserableness, this side has done nothing this season to suggest they won''t turn up.

And one other factor, ALEX NEIL, hope he doesn''t bump into you between now and Monday Ruthers, you might get a kiss from Glasgow..... keep believing # oh no that''s Boro, keep dreaming # oh no that''s 1p5wich, oh just turn up and sing your heart out, the players wont let you down.......

They will turn up, I couldn''t tell you the result but if we lose it won''t be because of a poor performance.

If we were about to play Blackpool away I would be very concerned that maybe this group of players with this mentality might not turn up. This is a team of big game players, our best few players ie Ruddy, Bassong, Hoolahan and Redmond are also very much big game players who always seem to find that extra 10% in games that matter.

I''m as worried about the outcome as anyone but I''m 100% certain the team will perform and give their all, it''s up to Alex Neil to give them the correct instruction (No worries there to put it mildly :P)

Yes agree with RS and also feel that there is more to see from this City side yet, and that could just be at Wembley on Monday.

That said, when I look at the way Middlesbrough play, the more I feel that we could really do with an early first goal,so we do need to get out of the blocks quick, and we dont tend to do that as often as we should.

Quote /

Everton (FA Cup Semi)

Sunderland (FA Cup Semi)

Fulham (Prem league)

West Brom (Prem league)

Wembley 85 and the own goal aside it''s not a great record in the really big games since.

/ End Quote:

Why not add in two actual Cup Finals?

Spurs League Cup Final 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIsCaH3YmqU

Villa League Cup Final 1975

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZswvN5gnpQk

We lost both of those 1-0, can''t remember if we were awful against Spurs, I know most of our attacking players had ''mares against Villa...

I wouldn''t be at all surprised if Monday is another 1-0 event...

WTF have you got WBA in there for?

Because it was the biggest six pointer we''ve ever known that''s why Nigel. With five games from hell to come after it this was the chance to virtually relegate WBA and save ourselves and we didn''t turn up.

Let me tell you a true story...

On the day of the 0-1 WBA debacle last year a friend of mine left Carra at 7pm after working at the ground and he found two suited guys looking lost outside the Big Yellow Storage Co.

They asked him for directions to the train station and he ''walked them'' as he was heading there himself.

As he got talking to them it transpired they were two West Brom players who had been selected by the FA for an after match drug/urine test. It took them over a hour to ''produce'' due to dehydration hence why they were having to travel back independently via the train.

They told him of their absolute shock at how poorly Norwich had played in such a massive game.

Apparently in a Churchillian speech WBA manager Pepe Mel or whatever his name was had warned his team (via an interpreter) in the dressing room prior to kick off that Norwich would be "throwing the kitchen sink" at them from the kick off and that it would be the toughest game of their careers.

However the two Albion players embarrassingly admitted to my mate it was by far their easiest away game of the season!! Good old Hughton!

Ruthers, you are an Olympic grade flaccid spam javelin.I hope you didn''t get a Wembley ticket.

[quote user="ruthers1"]On my sons life Morty, and why wouldn''t I be at Wembley? If you need a ticket let me know[/quote]I''m assuming you''re not even a fan by the tripe you trot out here.If something makes you this miserable, seriously, why do you bother?I have plenty tickets, cheers[Y]

But it''s not tripe, it''s straight up.

Did you go to the game Morty? We stunk the place out and if I were the FA I''d have left West Brom alone and drug tested the whole City team or at least checked them for a pulse!!

[quote user="ruthers1"]But it''s not tripe, it''s straight up.

Did you go to the game Morty? We stunk the place out and if I were the FA I''d have left West Brom alone and drug tested the whole City team or at least checked them for a pulse!![/quote]Have you ever been to a game that you have enjoyed at all?You do know supporting football isn''t some magical fairy tale where you get to marry the prince, and live happily ever after, don''t you?

I''m assuming you''re not even a fan by the tripe you trot out here.

FFS Morty do you honestly think I could have made that story up?!

It''s true, ''Jackanory'' had gone so I opted for Ruthers1 lol

[quote user="ruthers1"]WTF have you got WBA in there for?

Because it was the biggest six pointer we''ve ever known that''s why Nigel. With five games from hell to come after it this was the chance to virtually relegate WBA and save ourselves and we didn''t turn up.

Let me tell you a true story...

On the day of the 0-1 WBA debacle last year a friend of mine left Carra at 7pm after working at the ground and he found two suited guys looking lost outside the Big Yellow Storage Co.

They asked him for directions to the train station and he ''walked them'' as he was heading there himself.

As he got talking to them it transpired they were two West Brom players who had been selected by the FA for an after match drug/urine test. It took them over a hour to ''produce'' due to dehydration hence why they were having to travel back independently via the train.

They told him of their absolute shock at how poorly Norwich had played in such a massive game.

Apparently in a Churchillian speech WBA manager Pepe Mel or whatever his name was had warned his team (via an interpreter) in the dressing room prior to kick off that Norwich would be "throwing the kitchen sink" at them from the kick off and that it would be the toughest game of their careers.

However the two Albion players embarrassingly admitted to my mate it was by far their easiest away game of the season!! Good old Hughton![/quote]

Nevermind all that irrelevant bollox! Run by me how WBA was a bigger game than Portsmouth?

Can I add my voice to the "Ruthers is talking absolute s4it" chorus?

[quote user="morty"]Ruthers, you are an Olympic grade flaccid spam javelin.[/quote]BWAHAHAHA!!! [:D][:D][:D] [Y]

Alex Neil doesn''t suffer fools gladly and I think any player who isn''t "up for it" on the day will probably find they aren''t at the club much longer if they let him down...

[quote user="quentin"][quote user="morty"]Ruthers, you are an Olympic grade flaccid spam javelin.[/quote]BWAHAHAHA!!! [:D][:D][:D] [Y][/quote]

And you two are like little children - no wait, that''s an insult to children.   GTFU.

What worries me is with the sheer volume of plastics going to the game the noise level will be low we will be out sung by the boro fans and they will lose their confidence. Damn those plastics