Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

4-4-2?

This is not a moan, merely a question.  Do you think we have the players in the squad to play the 4-4-2 formation?

We have a lack of wide midfielders let alone cover for them.  We also have good selection of players who seem capable of playing as wing-back.  Do you think Worthy is looking at the possibility of playing a 4-3-3/3-5-2 formation?  We seem to have the players to suit those type of formations, we could really run a midfield with 3 out of Francis, Hughes, Jarrett and Hughes playing central.  Add to that Hux being given a free role, it seems to me these formations could prove very effective.

If we do sign a wide midfielder (right-sided) we also have the option of playing 4-4-2 as well and Worthy has a lot of ways he can change things round in game if things are not going to plan.

Could be very interesting.......

I can definitely see the advantage to both the formations you have mentioned: -

4-3-3 >>> This would allow for a very attacking game, which, when considering the attacking options we have, is a very exciting and potentially very devastating one!  I would play Hux, Fran and one of Hughes/Jarrett/Safri/Marney? and then Ashton, McKenzie, Thorne.

3-5-2 >>> This would allow for total dominance in midfield and could mean that more of our new signings are played.  However this leaves the defense more exposed! I would play Hux, Fran, Safri, Jarrett and one of Jarrett/Marney?/Henderson and then Ashton and McKenzie.

Both could work!

The defense for each case would never include Fleming unless absolutely necessary and would consist of players from the following MLJ/Colin/Docherty/Shackell/Drury/Charlton/Brennan(at a push!)

I was thinking about the formation the other day Saint, I really think that in this league we could put most teams under pressure from the first minute with a fluid 3-5-2. I don'' think we would have too many defensive problems because if we can get on top of teams early on they will find it difficult to break out, we would also have Saffri sat in front of the back three to fill the "awkward gap" which I personally feel so many Prem teams exploited against us last year. Drury and Jarrett/Hughes would work the flanks, Huckerby with a free role (but predominantly left I would think) and Francis arriving on the edge of the box which we know he does so well.

Easy swap to 4-4-2 if needed, Drury dropping back alongside Shackell and Huckerby dropping into the midfield, yes, I do know that his tackling back is not that great but once again - we won''t be playing Prem quality teams this year.

Injuries/sendings off also covered from the bench. One of Colin/MLJ, Fleming or Charlton to cover the rest of the defence, one of Jarrett/Hughes on the bench along with Thorne. That leaves a goalkeeper plus one (Jarvis/Henderson/Brennan). The only one I don''t see us covering easily is Huckerby - we would probably want to drop to 4-4-2 if he went off injured.

Green

Colin/MLJ                  Doherty             Shackell

Saffri

Jarrett/Hughes                         Francis                             Drury

Huckerby

McKenzie                Ashton              

And this is before Marney arrives........if he does.

Mark .Y.

[quote]This is not a moan, merely a question. Do you think we have the players in the squad to play the 4-4-2 formation? We have a lack of wide midfielders let alone cover for them. We also have good sele...[/quote]

Given our current squad I think a 4-3-3 probably works better than 4-4-2

Green

Colin   Shacks   Doc   Drury

Damo Safri  Jarrett

Leon           Ashton              Hux

with Drury and Colin providing width.  This would negate the lack of wide midfield players and leave our defence less exposed than having hux on the left midfield and covered by three working midfielders.  It does expose us if we get two injuries in the middle three but if marney signs it still looks a workable system.

I do expect a standard 4-4-2 though.

OTBC   

Why change the formation? When we went up we played a sort-of 4-4-2 with Huckerby loosely playing as a left winger. It works so long as the rest of the midfield can cover Hucks. It leaves us exposed down that side against good sides (a problem last season) but against most teams in this division, where I expect us to control games, I think it''ll work just fine!

Basically, don''t play wingbacks!

"Huckerby loosely playing as a left winger"

When??

As far as I remember, he never left the touchline when playing his "leftish" role. This marginalises him and wastes his ability to get in behind the opposition.

[quote]Given our current squad I think a 4-3-3 probably works better than 4-4-2 Green Colin Shacks Doc Drury Damo Safri Jarrett Leon Ashton Hux with Drury and Colin...[/quote]

I fully expect to see the 4-4-2 employed as well.  I think it will interesting to see how Worthy handles this squad, as it seems so versatile in terms of formations.  I really would be impressed if Worthy could change formations and players when things aren''t going to plan. 

[quote]"Huckerby loosely playing as a left winger" When?? As far as I remember, he never left the touchline when playing his "leftish" role. This marginalises him and wastes his ability to get in behind th...[/quote]

What I meant was that Huckerby played wide left, but offered nothing in terms of defensive protection for his full back. Hence the term "loosely" as he only fulfilled half of the winger''s role. I do accept that I could have phrased this better.

Anyway, aside from his lack of defending, playing him wide left I don''t think marginalised him - in fact, so many of our goals came through his good attacking work down the left last season that I''d say we were getting the best out of him. What does he like to do? Run at defenders. What do we give him license to do? Run at defenders. The difference being that with him wide left we have 2 strikers in the box for him to aim for, rather than 1 isolated striker whenever we push Huckerby up front. So I wouldn''t say it was a waste at all. Huckerby started the season a striker with something to prove, and finished it as a dangerous winger who teams had to treat seriously - even linked with Liverpool in January!

Sorry to dig this back up again but I really think Worthy has missed a trick by not even trying these tactics out in pre-season, I know all the players were not available but I think our midfield is the weakest area and the deployment wing-backs could really help.