Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

The polishing of Nathan Redmond

Now things have died down, I wanted to make point on the recent development we''ve seen in Redmond.Since his signing, I think it''s fair to say he has - at times - divided opinions on here. Many frustrated with his performances, and specifically the lack of end product. I for one wouldn''t have been too fussed if he''d left in January when it was rumored, an opinion I think shared by many.I think in the last 6 months - and even more specifically the last 2 - we''ve seen him mature into the player many believed he could become. He has been great in the playoffs, added the goals to his game he so sorely needed, and has matured before our very eyes. When we first got him under Hughton, he was very one-dimensional. Beat the player. Cut inside. Blaze over the bar. Rinse and repeat. It''s very different now. I was most impressed in the playoff home tie v 1p5wich. He was getting dominated by Mings, but was then moved into a more a free role which allowed him to drift more centrally. Redmond of 2 years ago would have never adapted. This Redmond thrived, and ended up having a touch in all 3 goals scored.I''m not sure who should take the credit for this. Obviously the most visible change has come in under Neil''s watch. But, the club is certainly doing something right, which I think bodes well for other youngsters on the fringe like the Murphy twins.My wish for Redmond is for him to go to the U21''s and kick on. Some great performances, maybe get to the pointy end of the tournament, and gain more confidence, momentum and experience.I think he''s going to be vital next season.

Whether he commits his future to us or not, him finally starting to fulfill his potential is great news.I think he would have been playing in the Premiership next season, regardless of what happened with our promotion.

Funny because I had him as our player of the season until he tailed off in Jan. Hopefully he continues to hone his end product further and against tougher opposition.

Redmond has been good all season.

Played two very different roles, Adams played him wide on the right like an old school winger to supply crosses to Jerome and Grabban in a 442. (Much like the way Adams played).

Adams really focused on getting him to improve his delivery and he racked up the assists. 6 by January, equal with Hoolahan at the top of the charts.

Alex Neil played a very different style, with Howson on the right and no real wingers in the team. Obviously Redmond wasn''t going to work in this without some adapting. AN worked with him on his positioning and coming in field more to have a greater influence on the game and it has really paid off after a little getting use to.

Redmond created 6 goals for Norwich from the beginning of April, scoring 3 times as well. Once he had worked out what AN wanted him to do he was excellent.

He is still only 21, and people have huge expectations on him due to his reputation. He has been afflicted, like many young England players, with massive hyping up. I think he found that difficult to cope with for a while (he admitted as much in a recent interview).

Will be great to see how he does at the U21 tournament, in a very strong England team. Hopefully his upward trajectory continues next season.

It still astounds me that some people didn''t want him to start on Monday.

I hope he''s now relaxin into his football. I think he''s been his own worst enemy at times. Over critical of himself, beating himself up. I think now he''s been given some freedom and he''s just Eason into it using his significant natural ability

More to come as well I think!

I believe his value has just increased thanks to his performances in the play offs, and if he performs as well in U21 national side this summer, that will just further improve his value, which can only be good news.

I think his relationship with Cam Jam and one or two others in the squad will give him great comfort that he at the right club, and with the right manager for the longer term.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Redmond has been good all season.

It still astounds me that some people didn''t want him to start on Monday.[/quote]

QFT

He seems like Theo Walcott, becoming more of a quick striker rather than hugging the touch line all the time. This is no bad thing, as he showed quick control and pace in his goal. Whether he was under instruction, he did not pass the fullback on the outside very often, but when you have passing that led up to the goal and a fullback like Whittaker......

I suspect that Neil told him to express himself, which he did! He has shown that he can shoot with either foot, and apart from the free- kick, which was well-intentioned, he is generally more accurate than he was.

With only one striker and his wee assistant Wes, there probably is not much point in playing as Middlesbrough did, with wingers down the line and swinging in crosses. Olsson very properly did go down the line and put in some crosses, but they led to nothing really.

Redmond was brilliant in the key end of season games which is when you wan our players to be effective. His link up play with Hoolahan and Whittaker was sublime at times in the first half. He was less effective in the second half as we sat back and the crowd expected him to beat 3 players with little midfield support.The main problem with Redmond is that people think he is quick, like Walcott as a poster above suggests. He''s not. Redmond is lightning over 5-10 yards but struggles beyond that. He''s no 100 metre runner yet people expect him to blaze past defenders all the time and then get on his back when he doesn''t.From a standing start he''s electric which is why he''ll be effective in the Premier League where space is more at a premium. It''s why he often slows the ball down and then races past people but he''s no Eadie or Huckerby as a speedster.Really looking forward to seeing him next year.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]Redmond was brilliant in the key end of season games which is when you wan our players to be effective. His link up play with Hoolahan and Whittaker was sublime at times in the first half. He was less effective in the second half as we sat back and the crowd expected him to beat 3 players with little midfield support.The main problem with Redmond is that people think he is quick, like Walcott as a poster above suggests. He''s not. Redmond is lightning over 5-10 yards but struggles beyond that. He''s no 100 metre runner yet people expect him to blaze past defenders all the time and then get on his back when he doesn''t.From a standing start he''s electric which is why he''ll be effective in the Premier League where space is more at a premium. It''s why he often slows the ball down and then races past people but he''s no Eadie or Huckerby as a speedster.Really looking forward to seeing him next year.[/quote]

Agree with every single word of that. Redmond is developing into the player we all hoped he wouild be, with an end product to go with the obvious natural ability.  Brilliant in the last few games, saving the best to the last one with that superlative touch and strike on goal.