Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

McNally and the seven year plan

No-one wanted us relegated, but it was part of the original seven year plan that McNally put out, that a blip of one season was something that was taken into account as a possibility and planned for.  The seven year plan was blown away somewhat by our rapid rise, but actually, the relegation has done something for us. It has galvanised us, got us a manager we can all believe in, got us a stronger squad for going up with and renewed momentum, so well done again to McNally for getting it right.

Seventh year next year - and we can all go into it with more belief than previously that we can make a good fist of it. Time will tell, but once again this club is back to the top level in better shape than it has ever been.  Hats off to McNally - we couldn''t have done it without him!! 

McNally pretty much admitted his 5 year plan was made just to satisfy the banks rather than having much relevance in the future of Norwich City.

Norwich would be in a stronger position right now if they hadn''t been relegated last season but luckily it didn''t cause much lasting damage.

Pretty sure it was a seven year plan and I''d disagree that we would have been stronger if we had stayed up. Lessons have been learned throughout the club and playing staff - and momentum - which we had all but lost - is back again.

LDC it was a five year plan with the possibility of relegation after the first season in the top flight one of the scenarios looked at.

Was definitely a 5 year plan, I was fortunate enough to sit in on a presentation of the said plan, and like all good business plans it allowed for best / worst case scenarios.

In defence of LDC just did a bit of research on this and McNally did indeed state that he had a 7 year plan in 2011. It changed to a five year plan in 2014.

Thinking back there was a 7 year plan AND a 5 year plan.

The 7 year plan is the one LDC was referring to, although McNally later said it was created when the club was renegotiating the outstanding loans with the banks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/9248096.stm

Seven or five - it doesn''t really matter - the salient point was to sing McNally''s praises. He has had some flack in the past, but you can''t deny his results.  Two excellent Scottish managers, a good positive start to this season with Adams (which is exactly what was needed) and changes made at the right time - three promotions, three - now four seasons in the premiership, financial stability all within a framework  of a strong family/community club.  Ups and downs too of course, a lot learned along the way, I''m sure - all puts us in the best possible state to challenge at the top level next season.  Rock on.

Indeed LDC - the senior management structure at Norwich has been excellent ever since McNally arrived.

Mistakes have been made, as they always will be by any company, but it is impossible to argue with the results. Very surprised another team hasn''t tried to woo McNally away (although few actually pay as much as Norwich).

Need a summer of good transfer business to start the next campaign on as sure a footing as possible. Norwich have had very mixed results in the transfer department over recent seasons, but hopefully this has been addressed now the footballing board have been up and running a whole season.

No more Laffertys, Miquels and Andreus and more Dorrans and Grabbans please.

The transfer mix is not quite perfect I agree but no club has a 100% successful purchase record.

If we get more right than wrong we will have done well, and sometimes it only takes one to be spectacularly right to outweighs the misses.

For last seasons misses there was a rationale for each of them, not all strong, and you can but hope that they prove successful. Where we have been weak is in our last minute signings for the last 3 seasons.

My fingers are crossed that our prime targets want to join (eg Alderw.., Toivanen, Quag etc) and are signed early so we dont end up repeating last minute gaffs.

A clear plan would be nice when it comes to transfers.

Why Norwich decided they needed Jerome, Grabban AND Lafferty I can not work out.

Or why they signed Cuellar, Hooiveld and Miquel.

It looks like a policy that was based on grabbing what was available rather than addressing particular concerns. Especially as Norwich entered the season with one right permanent right back and Josh Murphy as the only left winger.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]A clear plan would be nice when it comes to transfers. [/quote]

I cant disagree with that BY;   why so many CBs,  yet no right back if the decision was to have Martin at CB? I do think Lafferty was bought to play wide left unfortunately it didnt seem Lafferty was told that hence his frustrations and subsequent departure to Turkey.

I always hope that we end up with a balanced squad;   so cover for Tettey (or better) is a must as no one else plays that role,  and competition / better for BJ wide left are musts.   We have good cover otherwise across the middle,  although buying better quality is always good.   Up front Jerome is our best option in the prem although his record suggests we will need another option,  esp with grabban unknown and both Hooper and RvW found wanting at this level last time.  All are better than the youth options we have so a purchase is a must.

At the back I still think we need better in all 4 positions - so my investments would be heavily there.

I wouldn''t be too harsh on hooper . With Hughton''s set up Messi would have struggled to get the service up front to score more than a handful of goals. Neil obviously also likes to play with one up top but he encourages midfielders and the full backs to push on hence the high goal tally for this season. Neill will have to work out whether he will be more circumspect against better quality opposition who can pick you off at will. Jerome will have it all to do next season to score double figures and if it''s one up front he''ll only be playing an hour before fresh legs , Grabban, is on. I still think Hooper will have a role to pay next season s he us the best natural goals scirer we have and coming off the bench, especially at home, might be where he adds value. We don''t gave the resources to waste £10-15 million on someone who might score. Better working with what we have.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Pretty sure it was a seven year plan and I''d disagree that we would have been stronger if we had stayed up. Lessons have been learned throughout the club and playing staff - and momentum - which we had all but lost - is back again.

[/quote]Can''t agree.Had we stayed up it''s pretty certain we''d have given Neil Adams a crack at the Premiership again. Assuming he''d lost the plot at the highest level AN would have been parachuted in and more than likely kept us up with his brand of '' togetherness''.Only we''d have been tens of millions better off.

[quote user="Funny old game"]I wouldn''t be too harsh on hooper . With Hughton''s set up Messi would have struggled to get the service up front to score more than a handful of goals. Neil obviously also likes to play with one up top but he encourages midfielders and the full backs to push on hence the high goal tally for this season. Neill will have to work out whether he will be more circumspect against better quality opposition who can pick you off at will. Jerome will have it all to do next season to score double figures and if it''s one up front he''ll only be playing an hour before fresh legs , Grabban, is on. I still think Hooper will have a role to pay next season s he us the best natural goals scirer we have and coming off the bench, especially at home, might be where he adds value. We don''t gave the resources to waste £10-15 million on someone who might score. Better working with what we have.[/quote]
Interesting.  I don''t think Hooper has the all-round game to lead the line in the PL - and neither does Wolfswinkel.  Grabban maybe, Jerome maybe.  I would keep the latter two, sell the former two and look for a quality centre forward used to playing as a lone frontman.  We will also need goals from central midfield and this is where I hope Andreu will be a contributor - along with Redmond and Johnson.  Is Howson up to it at PL level?  Still not sure.
I hear that Hooper is a "natural goalscorer" but for every 25 yarder there are three or four barren games and he doesn''t have the off-the-ball quality of Jerome or Grabban.