Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Squad - Stay/Go/Loan

Trying to be realistic and looking through the squad, here''s what I think could happen with each as to whether they stay, go or go out on loan.

Ruddy - Stay

Whitts - Stay

Cuellar - Go

Johno - Stay

Martin - Stay

Turner - Go

Grabban - Stay

Howson - Stay

RVW - Go or Loan (if we can''t find a buyer)

Jerome - Stay

Hooper - Stay

Andreu - Stay

Bunn - Gone

Hoolahan - Stay

Miquel - Loan

Loza - Loan

E Bennett - Stay

Garrido - Gone

Becchio - Go

Redmond - Stay

Olsson - Stay

R Bennett - Stay

Rudd - Stay

Tettey - Stay

O''Neil - Stay

Morris - Loan

Bassong - Stay

Matthews - Stay

Murphy(s) - Loan

McGrandles - Loan

Vadis - Stay (although may be surpsured by this one)

Dorrans - Stay

Toffolo - Loan

McGeehan - Loan

With all of that in mind it would suggest we need a new left back, new centre half, another wide player and a striker?

As much as I like him and want him to stay, I expect to see Elliott Bennett leave in order to play regular first team football, heard Brighton are interested which makes sense.

Could also see Hooper go if we sign another striker, can''t see him wanting to be our potential 4th choice striker.

Agree with most of that - would sell Vadis is someone makes a good offer but that seems very unlikely.

Will be hard to shift players like Becchio as no one will pay anywhere near the same amount Norwich are paying him. He''ll be around until his contract finishes I expect (2017) with loan moves here and there.

Agree with the above about Hooper, AN used him very sparingly and can imagine another striker or two will join this summer. Hooper is probably still a fairly cash-able asset (Burnley will need a replacement for Ings) and Norwich should look to get some of their money back if possible.

Good loan moves for the Murphies is vital this season, or they may go down on the long-list of promising young players who never kick on.

Declan Rudd may also decide he''s had enough of playing 2nd fiddle and ask for a move.

Worth remembering that all the players will have had promotion clauses matching the relegation ones, so will all have received healthy pay rises.

Andreu back to Hamilton on loan, E Bennet go, Miquel go, O''Neil go, Laffs go and I believe McGeehan move to Luton will be permanent.

The rest I tend to agree, but we will have a few new additions, I hope a new Left/Right back, Centre back, strong powerful midfielder and maybe another big / powerful striker as Neil likes to play 1 up top with pace in support.

Goals are going to be key to our survival.

We can have 25 players over 21, with a min of 8 (is that still right?) home grown players which we should be ok with . I think the 21 year olds are

Loza - Loan/Sell

Redmond - Stay

Morris - Loan/Sell

Matthews - Stay

Murphy(s) - Loan/Sell

McGrandles - Loan

Toffolo - Loan/Sell

McGeehan - Loan/Sell

Thompson - Loan

I think the only non home grown players are Bassong, RvW, Andreu, Tettey, Becchio & Vadis

GK + Matthews

Ruddy

Rudd

FB + Toffolo

Whitts

Olsson

+ 1 LB

+ 1 RB starter

CB

R Bennett

Martin

Bassong

+ 1 Starting CB

+ 1 Starting CB

MID + Redmond, McGeehan &Thompson

Johno

Howson

Hoolahan

Tettey

O''Neil

Dorrans

+1 Tettey cover

+1 Left mid wide option.

FW + Loza & Morris

Grabban

RVW

Jerome

Hooper

+ 1 Starter - lone striker

Which is 24 named with scope to bring in another in Jan if needed. All others can leave or loan and if any of the 18 named leave then we should replace.

If we get offers for Gaz O''Neil, RvW, Hooper or either Bennett I would happily reinvest for better &/or younger.

Spend the money at the back and a striker as priorities and we should be strong.

All canines together ?   Keep you-a-trollin  CD.

I thnk Benno may well be happy to go to Brighton

Mr Jenkins,

I wouldn''t be at all surprised if he went, but then again I wouldn''t be at all surprised if AN viewed him as a RB and worked with him on that basis?

Any squad that can include players who can play decently in more than one position, in effect increases its squad size.

We have a few, those that spring to mind immediately are; the aforementioned EB (RB & RM), Whitts (RB & LB), Russ Martin (CB & RB), Johnno (CM & LM), there are others but just a thought.

I also have a feeling AN is keen on brining on younger players, so would be not be surprised if we kept some of our youth or put them on out on short term loans only.

Who is Matthews?

Have I missed something?

I admit to not being the best informed of supporters and I have memory lapses to boot (usually due to the quantity of Fosters I like to imbibe.)

Stanley hasn''t come out of retirement again has he?

(P.S. I was, as a fledgling Canary fan at that game. The amusing thing was that there was a host of cameramen there and they parked themselves behind the City goal. All the action was at the Stoke end and we thumped them.)  

Most of that seems in order. I can see voo staying tho from what he said. Test him out after a good preseason. I reckon we will come to an agreement with rvw with St ettiene "undisclosed".

I could see us keeping tofolo as back up and see how he does after a good season this year, maybe a short term loan in September once we have established our squad.

Agree with the rest but see Bennett going to Brighton.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Who is Matthews?

Have I missed something?

I admit to not being the best informed of supporters and I have memory lapses to boot (usually due to the quantity of Fosters I like to imbibe.)

Stanley hasn''t come out of retirement again has he?

(P.S. I was, as a fledgling Canary fan at that game. The amusing thing was that there was a host of cameramen there and they parked themselves behind the City goal. All the action was at the Stoke end and we thumped them.)  

[/quote]Third choice keeper for the club you support and you''ve never heard of him? [:|] Hmmmm....

what i think might happen is one thing, but what id like is probably along these linesRuddy - Stay

Whitts - go, solid at times but hes not a top flight full backCuellar - GoJohno - Stay

Martin - Stay, but as a rotation option with a better replacementTurner - Go

(hasnt he actually gone yet ?)Grabban - Stay (hes back up/rotation at best though)Howson - Stay

RVW - Go, but ive no idea whos going to want him or willing to pay his wagesJerome - Stay

Hooper - Stay

Andreu - go, last minute panic buy/squad filler, wast of spaceHoolahan - go, thanks, legend, but your time is up, sell him back to the championshipMiquel - go, wont get a gameLoza - go, might turn out to be a good player but might as well stick a buy back clause in there and ship him outE Bennett - go, back up at best, give his squad space to someone newRedmond - Stay

unless someone stumps up 25 - 30 million given the inflated english prices and the lack of top flight english talentOlsson - Stay, mercenary, but needs some competition for his placeR Bennett - Stay, i still think he will come good with enough game time, anyone that uses their face on the flor for goal line saves is worth keepingRudd - Stay

Tettey - Stay, but id like a classier upgrade on him if theres one out there eventually, still a bit clumsy at times, mops up well thoughO''Neil - go, wont get a gameMorris - go, same as lozaBassong - Stay, premier league bad luck charm, right attitude hes an asset but think we need to rebuild the back 4, rotation optionMatthews - loanMurphy(s) - stayMcGrandles - goVadis - go go go go go go go go go, sick noteToffolo - Loan

McGeehan - Loan

need a cb, rb, lb, cm/attacking mid, left winger and striker imho

Right, so bare with me, longish post coming up.

GK''s: Ruddy, Rudd and Matthews. (2 over 21)

Full backs: (Martin considered CB), Whittaker and Olsson. (2)

Center backs: Turner, Martin, Bassong, and Bennett (4)

Others - Miquel can play left back or center back so unsure which his preferred position is. (1)

Defensive department - total 9 over age players towards the squad total.

Midfield:

Wing - Redmond, Johnson, Murphey''s (2)

CM - Howson, Dorrans, O''Neil, Tettey, Vadis - (5)

Others - E.Bennett, Hoolahan, Andreu (3)

Strikers: RvW, Jerome, Hooper, Lafferty, Grabban, Morris (5).

We seem to have trimmed a bit of the squad already and althought I have probably forgotten someone at the moment it is up to 24 by my maths.

My very basic approach to a squad of 25 is that you need cover in every position on the pitch plus an extra keeper (which we seem to have). For me, whilst Bassong and Martin deserve a shot at the premier league together, and Turner has done it in the past, it may well be that we go forward without one of those four center halves. And that would allow us to bring one more in with a bit more ability. Will Miquel stay? Will E.Bennett stay and be used as cover at right back? A lot of questions in that department for me. Probably our most problematic area in many ways with the most issues to be addressed.

CM is the most densely populated apart from in one role - Tettey''s, I think if we are to continue with the formation we play at the moment, we could do with an upgrade on Tettey, at the very least competition for that position. I felt in the last couple of high pressure games, his passing was exposed at times and he looked far more comfortable when Dorrans/O''Neil were introduced to give him close support and link the ball through. But they both lack his tenacity in breaking play up. Either way, if that is a key role, we''ll need more than one player that can do it.

Wide is interesting. I have put Johnson down as a winger, because I don''t think he can be moved inside to a DM again when he has shown he gives the team so much going forward. O''Neil and Dorrans can also play wide. So again, it will be interesting to see if Neil sees this as a priority area to play about with.

Then throw in Vadis who hasn''t played much but has, in flashes, looked the part.

I think the main questions will be around E.Bennett, Andreu and O''Neil. Andreu may well be shaped into one of the wider positions or a new Hoolahan. I know people are confident that he''ll remain as he was only signed in January but Neil also seems like the sort of chap that will cut his losses if he doesn''t think a player can cut it, especially now we''re in the premier league and a player could occupy a very useful slot in the squad.

So for me, midfield is about ensuring we have the depth in key roles and perhaps a bit of trimming.

Strikers - relatively straight forward for me. I would say you ideally need 4-5 strikers, and in the best of worlds, some that can play more than one role. Neil clearly likes Grabban and Jerome. I can''t help but feel that all it needs is one quality striker to be added, and then allow those that don''t want to fight for a place to go. RvW is the clear obvious one but you would have to say that Lafferty and Hooper may also be possible leavers.

Strangely, I am slightly more confident with this squad, than the one last time round in the premier league. It feels to me that apart from in defense, we are much stronger in depth and in some areas can afford to spend a bit more on one player to bring in quality.

Priority as things stand is to sort out the defense, and bring in one quality striker and do a tiny bit more trimming, overall squad improvement. The good thing is, that it seems the club are already active, despite not knowing for sure which way to act until just after the 2nd goal went in on Monday!

Overall prognosis - generally a good solid foundation requiring a few tweaks and quality additions. In my mind, much better than either of the other two promoted teams.