Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Wigan's chances

What chances do you think Wigan have?

Imo they will struggle the most. They are having big trouble buying players, the ones they have got are good but they have not got many. Buying Francis could be a mistake but could also pay off. However, i think they have the biggest task ahead of them and i feel for them.

Warra'' bout you?

They are my favourites for relegation, I think Paul Jewell is an excellent manager but as we found out last year, the jump from CCC to Prem is huge. I look at their squad and just don''t think they have enough talent to stay up. Perhaps they will adopt the opposite tactics to us by trying to "spoil" every game and pick up points like that but I don''t even fancy their chances of being able to do that. I know this is becoming repetitive but you have to fancy the three promoted clubs to come straight back down.

Mark .Y.

Well They Have Got Some Brass To Spend And Paul Jewel Kept Bradford Up .So I Don''t Think They Will Be Quite The Whipping Boys People Expect.

I Hope They Do.

must admit id quite enjoy watching fulham get relegated. and portsmouth come to that. And blackburn, come to think of it, and that horrible west brom shower. throw everton and west ham into the mix and youve got a deal. 6 up - 6 down anyone?

[quote]must admit id quite enjoy watching fulham get relegated. and portsmouth come to that. And blackburn, come to think of it, and that horrible west brom shower. throw everton and west ham into the mix an...[/quote]

I cant see Everton getting relegated as their style of play is so compact.

However I agree with the others and would add in Sunderland (who have not bought well) and can see as tight a finish as last season at the bottom. 

Like when Jewell was managing Bradford he may be there in the right season to scrape Wigans survival - he is no mug and far better than McCarthy or Pardew in particular.

OTBC

I hope that Wigan can somehow manage to scamble clear of the relegation zone, as I always favour the underdog. They have a very good manager in Mr Jewell, but do seem to be struggling to attract any quality signings. It''s looking like a long hard season for them, unfortunately. My predictions for relegation (more in hope than expectation) are W Ham WBA and Portsmouth.

I think Wigan will stay up.  They have in Roberts & Ellington a strikeforce capable of scoring enough goals to keep them up, something we did not have at the start of last season.

[quote]must admit id quite enjoy watching fulham get relegated. and portsmouth come to that. And blackburn, come to think of it, and that horrible west brom shower. throw everton and west ham into the mix an...[/quote]

Sounds good to me, heh!  There are plenty of teams sitting in the bottom half of the prem going nowhere who should just be relegated to put them out of their misery (Blackburn, West Brom, Portsmouth, Fulham, etc)...

However, more realistically, I can see the bottom of the table at the end of the season being as it is now, alphabetically - West Brom, West Ham and Wigan...

Wigan will rely on Roberts and Ellington, and though they will score goals, who else do they have in the team to keep them up?! I personally think that even with Deano all season, we''d still have been down as our defence was so shaky!

West Ham will go in with their usual "big team" mentality, and there will be plenty of teams out there wanting to prove them wrong. Despite their apparent spending power (probably from ripping off local builders, scum style) they don''t seem to have attracted any real proven quality as yet.

And its the same with West Brom.  They put up a lovely fight, but who have they got in that''s any better than last season? Are they relying on their experiences from last term to keep them up? If so, they will struggle.

Plus, there will be a lot of teams at the middle the table desperate beat teams like West Brom, et al, to get all the points they can before they have to play Chelsea, and the Man Utds and Arsenals wanting to prise the league from Chelsea''s grasp, which will mean bad news for many more of the teams at the bottom end, including the ones listed in my first paragraph...

Will be an interesting season.......