Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Toffolo deemed to be ready?

He''s been in the local press down in Swindon twice in the last few days, the second interview seems to be markedly different to the first.

Given the shift in tone of the interview, the talk of a new contract being discussed (the club exercised an option to keep him contracted for next season so presumably this is a longer term contract being discussed) and the release of Garrido, could we be looking to one of our own to compete with Olsson for the LB slot or do other people read the situation differently?

First interview (quotes have been repeated in Swindon Advertiser and EDP today, but I saw them in a different article much earlier in the week):

"They''ve taken up the option but I''ve not actually sat down with Norwich yet, it will be happening in the next few days so I couldn''t say definitively what is going to be happening," Toffolo said.

"The way things are going at the moment I''ll take pre-season as it comes and I''ve got to impress the new gaffer at Norwich.

"If I''m around the team then perfect, if I''m not then I''ll find out what is best for me and see if I can get back out on loan.

"But it''s nothing that can be decided yet because it''s a matter of having talks over the next few weeks. "

Second interview:

"I will definitely be with Norwich next season, I still have to sort out the contract in coming weeks, but hopefully it will as part of the first team.

"It would be the realisation of a dream to play in the Premier League –it''s the best league in the world.

"I want to be part of that and pushing for a place. It will be very competitive and I know I will have to fight hard for it."

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Happy-Harry-sees-Norwich-promoted/story-26584665-detail/story.html?

Well haven''t seen him play but I think if we can get competition to olsson then we will.

I think the younger players may get a chance to compete with the fist team squad and play in cup games.

Afraid playing in the prem is a different beast for all our younger players.

the way to progress is the Southampton model and with luck that''s the way we are heading

Yeah I thought yesterday with Garrido gone then Toffolo will come in to push Olsson, good news always been impressed when I''ve seen him play. And no need to buy anyone else at LB.

Saw him play for us in the FA youth cup final against Chelsea and he looked like the organiser at the back while playing in the centre. I was surprised that he played wing back for Swindon and was even more surprised at how good he was at it the few times i saw him on the tv. I think it probably suggests he''s a potentially good all round footballer. Big jump from Lg 1 to Prem though, but surely someone from that youth team can bridge the gap to first team football.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 28/05/2015 6:23 PM:

Happy for him to play back up to olsson. He has proven he is capable and we can spend our money elsewhere

Happy with this Jimmy, very happy in fact.😄

Harry Toffolo has had a good season with Swindon. Very unlucky not to win the play-offs. His stats are impressive. He has got 6 assists and 3 goals. That is not bad for a left back. I would like to see him given a chance to play at left back - but I think it will be difficult for him with Martin Olsson playing there. It wouldn''t surprise me if Alex Neill decides to sign another left back as cover for Olsson. But then again can we rely on Toffolo to provide that cover? Would he be good enough to play at Premier League level? We can''t say for certain unless he is given a chance.

Played a lot at centre back for the youth and U21 sides as well as left back, a ball playing centre back, especially one with pace would be a prize asset.Have`nt followed Swindon much but they play 3 at the back a lot and Toffolo has played left wing back and not left centre back.What is his best position?

Too slow, never a premier league player so cut the boy loose and let him find his level. Yes, we won the FA youth cup and that was some achievement but that doesn''t mean we have to hang onto players in the hope they''ll eventually make the grade. Take it for what it was, but the reality is if even one of the team make the first team as a regular then I''d'' be surprised. AN will make hard nosed decisions based on the evidence before him not ones based on romance and sentiment.

[quote user="Craig Brown"]Harry Toffolo has had a good season with Swindon. Very unlucky not to win the play-offs.

[/quote]

Swindon weren''t unlucky. They were well beaten.

As for Toffolo... can''t see it. Especially not now we''re back in the Prem.

From what he said earlier this week, Toffolo is hoping/expecting to hear news about his future this week.

I would be very surprised if he was not given a renewed contract, and if he does stay on he will have a great opportunity to show his worth in the pre-season games. Olsson is having surgery, possibly today, and is unlikely to join in the pre-season fitness training and matches on time. He will be used sparingly until he is fit and fully recovered, so unless we sign another left back immwediatelyToffolo could have plenty of opportunity.

Whatever is decided, with Garrido gone the important decision on Toffolo must be made soon.