Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

If not Martin as Captain, then who?

Need significantly more pace on the right side of defence - potentially the new right fullback or centreback as captain? Howson is another good shout.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Ruddy "calamitous" ????[/quote]Ruddy has certain strengths which make him a worthy choice between the sticks, but he also has a pronounced weakness at coming for crosses. Too often he''s poor at claiming the ball, indeed in Monday''s playoff final there was a moment when he resembled somebody catching a hot potato.Ruddy just doesn''t appear to me to be confident or assertive enough to merit being given the captain''s the armband.

Captains are often central defenders, because they have the team in front of them, and not from among the strikers for the opposite reason.

Is there anything wrong with a central midfielder? Clearly any newcomer, unless they have experience of captaincy, is unlikely to be chosen. This rules out Dorrans, Vadis, O''Neil. We are left with Tettey, Howson and Johnson. Of these three Howson has experience, from his Leeds days, and also maturity on his side, and I think that he could provide inspiration, especially as several players have expressed admiration at his gifts.

I can see the cases for most suggested here - with examples of that leadership seen regularly in matches.

"Captain" is less important than leaders showing themselves on field - Will Carling said he had 8 captains in the wc winning rugby side as the leaders made their voices known. Ruddy, Jerome & Tettey are best at that in the current squad, with Johnson too, although not always in the right manner as others have already suggested

The one I am unsure about is howson, He is consistent, committed and very self assured but I have not seen him be the one to drive his colleagues on when things get tough, or get them to raise their game after an error. He may do it more effectively in a quiet way.

As such why change the captain - let the leaders show their hands and keep Russ in the role he does very well - the players figure head for the club.

I''m sure someone, probably BYG, posted something this time last season about the importance of the captain being marginal at best. How much does it really matter?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I''m sure someone, probably BYG, posted something this time last season about the importance of the captain being marginal at best. How much does it really matter?[/quote]It doesn''t matter, NS - When you field a side of 11 you give them the belief they''re all f*cking Captains - end of.