Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

If not Martin as Captain, then who?

Russell Martin has been a good captain and a great pro, however, he has shown signs of being found wanting on a occasions as a CB, the Prem is going to expose his relative frailties more.

If replaced, who would be your choice for Capt.

I think Bassong.

As we saw in our Prem season last time, if things start going bad Bassong is one of the last people you want out there on the pitch.

I expect us to see a new CB come in to the team for next season as well as a right back. I''m interested to see how BJ will do out on the left because in the middle he''s average at best in the Prem, if he does well out there i''d give it to him; BJ and Martin are the hardest workers in the squad along with Tettey

the cb signed to replace him? or tettey or cj.

however martin is a great club ambassador

Captain? Its just an armband. We already have a few players on the pitch to give leadership.

[quote user="Nicko"]Bassong? You''re trolling us, surely.[/quote]
Why is this trolling, Nicko. It is MY opinion that Martin might not be a first choice CB next season, and it is MY opinion that Bassong is not a bad shout for the Captains armband. You obviously disagree. 
But to simply accuse me of trolling without a shred of narrative is facile. 
To expand on my reasoning, the Bassong under AN has shored up the back four significantly, having him back in the fold most definitely made a difference. I am of the opinion that it is unwise to judge ANY of the squad on pre Alex Neil performances, therefore I stand by my assertion that Bassong is a leader on the pitch based on his appearances under AN. If you think different fair enough, but rather than post a one line remark accusing the OP of trolling, back it up with substance.

[quote user="stoke canary"]Not that I want Russ Martin replaced but if he was Johnny Howson would be my choice !![/quote]Not a bad shout Stoke. Tettey would be a good choice as well.Bassong. No way I am afraid. I still have a grudge at the Adams affair.

Substance: Bassong was, being generous, nothing like as good as his previous season once he was given the captaincy. Plus there was all that stupid stuff being photographed with a gun. I didn''t want him back in the team after his hissy fit with Adams, but credit to him, he''s been our best CB since he came back. But captain? He didn''t do a good job last time, and his mind wanders during matches already without additional responsibility. So no, ta.

Plus I think Russ should get a shot at CB in the Prem, don''t write him off too quickly.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Substance: Bassong was, being generous, nothing like as good as his previous season once he was given the captaincy. Plus there was all that stupid stuff being photographed with a gun. I didn''t want him back in the team after his hissy fit with Adams, but credit to him, he''s been our best CB since he came back. But captain? He didn''t do a good job last time, and his mind wanders during matches already without additional responsibility. So no, ta.[/quote]
Thanks for the reasoned reply NS, and I can see where you are coming from, but I do think AN has got Seb focussing properly and to cite an example of his leadership, it was him that shepherded Redmond away from a potential flare up at the end of the Play-Off home semi final.
Also, as my OP asked, if not Martin, then who?

I felt a little uneasy when Martin was being pressured by the Ipswich front line, he just didn''t seem to get a grip on them and the high balls they were playing.
I do however, concede that he is consummate pro and possibly should at least deserve a chance to prove himself at PL level. 

Daz, I agree, certainly seems to have done OK at international level over the last 18 months or so and the fixtures included teams such as, Croatia, Germany, Poland, ROI, Serbia, Belgium and England, with very decent results all round and there are some decent players in those teams.

Howson every time for me, should also start every game. The age old question is can you drop your captain after a few poor results? I''m sure at some point Martin should have been dropped but the arm band saved him.

For me, Howson has everything you would want in a captain. Quality player, sets a great example, leads by example etc etc. Great player though he is, i think Bradley is too indisciplined to be captain material.

I''d consider Howson. Plays centre mid, seems the calmest of our players and likely to be playing every game.

I wouldn''t go back to Bassong, I don''t think he needs the extra responsibility. We need him back doing what he does best, defending with no distractions.

I think Ruddy is good captain material but i''m never sure about keepers as captain.

Johnson is too hot headed, I would think. Prone to the odd stupid booking or suspension.

But then so was Grant Holt.

This thread is a nonsense I''m afraid.

Anyone who witnessed AN embrace RM at the end of Monday''s final should be under no illusion that he has the captaincy for the foreseeable future.

This error of judgement is the only blot on Neil''s otherwise impeccable copybook since taking over from Adams.

ruthers1,

I saw that too but have kept quiet until you raised it. So according to you, AN has potentially made an error of judgement on possibly the biggest decision he has to make. Perhaps we should get rid of him if his judgement is that flawed?

I wouldn''t want Bassong back, Johnno is Norwich through and through but too hot headed, Ruddy is my captain on all my FIFA seasons but like someone else said I don''t know about goalies as captain, Martin is a good captain but will he be playing week in week out next season? If we aren''t sticking with RM my vote is Tettey.

A captain should ideally be someone responsible with leadership qualities who plays as first choice in a central position.Bassong fails regarding being responsible.Tettey won''t be a regular starter if his knee continues to give him gyp, otherwise he''d be a good shout.Russell Martin wins in the responsibility department, but if we upgrade our central defence this summer then he''ll almost certainly be relegated to right back or the bench, therefore ruling him out.Ruddy is too calamitous to inspire confidence, his butterfingers unfortunately undermine his authority. Whatever the merits or otherwise of giving the captaincy to a goalkeeper, Rudd would probably be a better choice should he ever establish himself.So for me it''s between Howson and Jerome. Howson plays in central midfield and seems to be a bit more level headed. But Jerome seems more extrovert, more of a natural leader.

Would respectfully suggest that a captain is chosen as the best leader out of the squad at the start of the season.

There are bound to be incoming players in the next few weeks, so surely the question should be asked once the squad is assembled?

i.e. It would benefit from two or three better quality defenders, our record at keeping out goals in the Chumpionship wasn''t too sharp, certainly need some help against Premier quality.

Tettey, as good as he is, cannot play every game, could do with cover there.

One of these incoming players may prove to be an outstanding Captain, we don''t know til the squad is assembled.

Ruddy "calamitous" ????

I have no problem with Martin as Captain and have often thought the criticism of him has been way over the top.

However, should there be a need for a new captain in the near future, then Howson stands out big time, plus I am expecting him to push on next season and challenge for a place in the England squad.