Sign in to follow this  
smooth

Louis Thompson and Kyle lafferty

I could talk about what a great day it was and what a professional performance we saw at Wembley but others have.

I could talk about the addition areas and how excited we should be about the transfer window. Especially when VOO, Andreu, hooper and others are in the squad who barely played this season but can be good squad players for our prem campaign.

But I want to talk about two players with potentially different paths now at Carrow road.

Louis Thompson has had a long successful season with Swindon, is a young midfielder who now finds himself part of a premiership team. Players like Elliott Bennett and Anthony pilkington made that step up but with Thompson he could be on the fringes.

A player who I feel will gather a great deal of experience next season either as part of the squad or on loan potentially in the championship. A shining light potentially, who will gain from us being up a league with better players around him.

Kyle lafferty is almost a forgotten man by many as they list our strikers, keen to play regular football; he will likely look to move on. Did say he would be keen with Rangers, could that move materialise? Could a move to the European leagues be back on the cards. Could we have another becchio on the cards, picking up a pay cheque while the odd loan materialises.

Thompson will spend a season on loan, Chump club or one of the exodus to Accies.

Lafferty will never wear yellow again.IMHO

Lafferty was a terrible waste of money by Adams. Odd signing for the money we paid for him considering his record.

[quote user="king canary"]Lafferty was a terrible waste of money by Adams. Odd signing for the money we paid for him considering his record.[/quote]Here we go again with the Adams bashing -- of course Jerome''s & Grabban''s 30 odd goals this season hasn''t helped our cause much [:P]

No Adams bashing, just was always a strange signing, I think we all knew lafferty a record.

Remember Adams bought in players who did not play this season and those that did. He also did not manage seb bassong well enough when he was and is our best central defender.

But now we have a striker who wants to play first team football, who enjoys the life in Southern Europe likely to not wear a ncfc shirt again.

I wish him well and if the move to Rangers could happen great, but otherwise the move to Europe is likely for the forgotten forward.

Thompson can certainly come in and show us what he has he could be a player who actually surprises others. Certainly hope he grabs this chance with both hands.

I dont think it''s fair to lump Lafferty with the tag of hanging about and picking up the wages, he wanted to play football and got his agent to organise a loan with minimal fuss. In my mind thats a credit to him. Still looked like a sending off waiting to happen everytime he played, which is not such a credit to him.

Thompson is an interesting one, it''s very hard to know if he could make the step up to PL level yet. I dont like this buying young players and then loaning them straight out, i fail to see who it really benefits?

Laff is a walking red card, total liability. Shame because there is a good footballer in there underneath the horrible discipline.Think most fans can see the writing on the wall for the afforementioned.(Bunn, Cuellar, Miquel, Garrido, Becchio)I think Andreu will stick around for a year, but will maybe not ever cut it.Turner will probs be given the option to leave.E.Benno at right back could be fantastic, E.Benno as a winger is a transfer waiting to happen.Hate to say it but Mr Norwich, aka R.Martin has a clock ticking over him. Not a prem centre back, still my first choice for right back, but probs a squad player who will move on this time next year.Whits, surely we can find a more reliable and constistant right back (see E.Benno)R.Bennett, will need a year away to get his footballing legs back, if he does well then he could be a Prem centre back.The Murphys et all, send them off on loan. Not good enough for the champ yet, let alone prem.Rudd, surely he hasnt got more than 1-2 more seasons as Ruddy''s #2? Would hate to see him leave, maybe he will force Ruddy out as much as we love the big man much like David James, he is world class but always has a mistake in him.The Wolf, the romantic side of me sees him coming in and being the striker we paid 7.5m for. I reckon he will be given a go much like Bassong. The realist in me see''s him having his go but not being good enough and leaving for a cut price, probs to Turkey as they normally pick up the chaff.

Andreus not going to leave is he as AN has only just bought him in and he thinks highly of him.

I would probably ship out:

Bunn

Miguel

Garrido

Becchio

RVW

R.Bennet

Turner

E.Bennet seems to have started to come back in the squad and think he will make a good back up in a couple of places.

Defence for me needs strengthening quite a lot as let''s not forget the 60+ goals nearly the same back 4 conceded only 2 seasons ago in the prem.

I fail to see what Grabban and Hooper have to do with Lafferty. I don''t think anyone would dispute those were great signings for us. Lafferty however cost over £3m, scored one goal (while picking up a load of bookings) and left after 6 months. That makes him a bad signing.

Lafferty always seemed to be a bit of a playboy (allegedly with a dubious reputation), so I doubt that Alex Neil will want to keep him on.

The interesting one will be Ricky. Alex Neil may see something in him that he thinks will benefit the team next season. Or not!

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]Andreus not going to leave is he as AN has only just bought him in and he thinks highly of him.

Bunn

Miguel

Garrido

Becchio

RVW

R.Bennet

Turner

E.Bennet seems to have started to come back in the squad and think he will make a good back up in a couple of places.

Defence for me needs strengthening quite a lot as let''s not forget the 60+ goals nearly the same back 4 conceded only 2 seasons ago in the prem.[/quote]

Yeah, the defense wasn''t the issue. The offense being the lowest scoring in the division without it being close was more the issue and BY FAR. Pair Bassong with someone that isn''t Michael Turner so he doesn''t have to COVER TWO CENTER BACK POSITIONS and it''ll be fine., In fact when he had to cover 2 CB positions it wasn''t that horrible. With any competent striker that year we stay up.

I really don''t see Ricky coming back- it would be lovely for him to turn it around but I didn''t see anything in that first season to suggest he has something to offer.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]Andreus not going to leave is he as AN has only just bought him in and he thinks highly of him.

Bunn

Miguel

Garrido

Becchio

RVW

R.Bennet

Turner

Defence for me needs strengthening quite a lot as let''s not forget the 60+ goals nearly the same back 4 conceded only 2 seasons ago in the prem.[/quote]

Yeah, the defense wasn''t the issue. The offense being the lowest scoring in the division without it being close was more the issue and BY FAR. Pair Bassong with someone that isn''t Michael Turner so he doesn''t have to COVER TWO CENTER BACK POSITIONS and it''ll be fine., In fact when he had to cover 2 CB positions it wasn''t that horrible. With any competent striker that year we stay up.[/quote]

Oh I''m not debating that we where missing up top aswel we where woefull in all areas let''s be honest.

For me though if we where going to play Hughtons way and keep the clean sheets and Nick a goal that back 4 wasn''t going to do it and they didn''t (obviously AN doesn''t play that way) but for the prem we need a better defence

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="barclay_boy111"]Andreus not going to leave is he as AN has only just bought him in and he thinks highly of him.

Bunn

Miguel

Garrido

Becchio

RVW

R.Bennet

Turner

Yeah, the defense wasn''t the issue. The offense being the lowest scoring in the division without it being close was more the issue and BY FAR. Pair Bassong with someone that isn''t Michael Turner so he doesn''t have to COVER TWO CENTER BACK POSITIONS and it''ll be fine., In fact when he had to cover 2 CB positions it wasn''t that horrible. With any competent striker that year we stay up.[/quote]

Oh I''m not debating that we where missing up top aswel we where woefull in all areas let''s be honest.

For me though if we where going to play Hughtons way and keep the clean sheets and Nick a goal that back 4 wasn''t going to do it and they didn''t (obviously AN doesn''t play that way) but for the prem we need a better defence

If anyone can get RvW scoring goals again it''ll be AN. I just can''t see him getting in the squad ahead of Jerome, Grabban and Hooper though! He needs a good pre season that''s for sure!

One of the problems with CH''s playing style was it required quick counter attacks, and as good as he was with free kicks, playing Snodgrass destroyed that tactic; at least one reason why RVW became a terrible purchase; ironically playing Holt or someone like him may have been a much better fit...

I would rather keep rvw than Lafferty, we don''t need his off the field attitude at our club. A leopard never changes his spots, no doubt next season he would still be out harassing people like members of my family have witnessed first hand.

Remember Ian Holloway at Palace, when he bought so many players he couldn''t fit them all in his 25 man squad? Because the better players didn''t become available until the end of the window.Whilst we know Adams had a chat with every player, we don''t know how many wanted to leave, but had to come back with their tails between their legs when they couldn''t get anything else. I wouldn''t be surprised if that was Hooper.With Lafferty, Adams needs a strong target man, but didn''t attract Jerome until much later in the window.

i think all the posters on this thread have forgotten rather an important fact

Lafferty has been absolutely red hot for N Ireland and as such we should be looking if we decide he has no future and I am not sure either way to recoup most of our rumoured 3.9M outlay

3.9m?!?!?!?!?! Where did that figure come from? Is that Euro or GBP? I can remember hearing at the time rumours of somehwere around the €2m mark, which seemed to be far too much to be giving a second division Italian team for a nomadic striker who hadn''t really done the business for any club anyway...

Does anyone actually know how Lafferty''s loan spell has gone?
Can''t say I have been bothered enough to keep tabs on it.
I assume he will be back with us now?

Lafferty score a couple of goals in a dozen or so games for his team who finished just above the relegation zone in Turkey.

He''ll be back but don''t think it will be too hard to find him a new club as he seems to be happy to go anywhere in the search for first team football.

Norwich will probably have to subsidise his wages though.

[quote user="Surfer"]One of the problems with CH''s playing style was it required quick counter attacks, and as good as he was with free kicks, playing Snodgrass destroyed that tactic; at least one reason why RVW became a terrible purchase; ironically playing Holt or someone like him may have been a much better fit...[/quote]

I agree entirely with this. Hughton set us up to play counter attacking football but then often did so without any pace in the side at all or a striker who could hold the ball up! Truly bizarre stuff and in my view (along with the inability to make any impact with subs) indicative of a manager with very little intelligence, despite how he is portrayed as a "scholar of the game" in the media. Ironically the current set of strikers we have would have been more suited to that style of play!

I think Hughton planned to play a very different way when building the squad.

In the first home game Norwich played with E. Bennett, Redmond, Wes and RVW in a very attacking 4-2-3-1.

However, I think he slowly started to lose faith in playing an attacking system and the team started to drop deeper and deeper. If he had held his nerve I think Norwich would have stayed up and Ricky would have had more than one goal to his name. Hindsight hey, its a wonderful thing.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think Hughton planned to play a very different way when building the squad.

In the first home game Norwich played with E. Bennett, Redmond, Wes and RVW in a very attacking 4-2-3-1.

However, I think he slowly started to lose faith in playing an attacking system and the team started to drop deeper and deeper. If he had held his nerve I think Norwich would have stayed up and Ricky would have had more than one goal to his name. Hindsight hey, its a wonderful thing.[/quote]
Didnt Bennett get injured in the very first game though? And neither Hoolahan or Redmond were in the best of form. Makes you wonder a bit about the whole " negative tactics" debate a little. Could it have been that the attack just wasn''t good enough, and they let the manager down, and not vice versa?
#controversial

Anyway, how about midfielder Louis Thompson? Has anyone seen him play or did anyone see his 30 minute appearance last Sunday after injury? only 20 at the beginning of the year, so no concerns as to taking a place in the 25 man squad. Interesting and very positive comments from Swindon fans worth a read on the first page of a current thread. Totally uninformed, but would guess he''s most likely to spend time on loan in the champs next season. When he was originally signed, the first question that leaped into my head, was, along with MaGrandles, how would things unfold longer term if we went straight back up.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55823.0

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Lafferty score a couple of goals in a dozen or so games for his team who finished just above the relegation zone in Turkey.

He''ll be back but don''t think it will be too hard to find him a new club as he seems to be happy to go anywhere in the search for first team football.

Norwich will probably have to subsidise his wages though.[/quote]

If that is the case Hungarian "giants" Ferencváros could be a great option for him. (Btw. Ferenváros signed a partnership deal with City last year) They''d put together a rather decent team managed by ex-Borussia coach Thomas Doll, and are hoping to do well in the EL next season.

CAREER STATISTICS

Darlington

- 2005-06 - 9 apps - 3 goals - 1 assist

Burnley

- 2005-06 - 12 apps - 1 goal - 1 assist

Total 2005-06

- 3 goals and 2 assists

Burnley

2006-07 - 37 apps - 4 goals - 0 assists

Burnley

2007-08 - 38 apps - 5 goals - 1 assist

Overall

record at Burnley = 87 apps - 10 goals - 2 assists

Rangers

- 2008-09 - 32 apps - 9 goals - 3 assists

Rangers

- 2009-10 - 39 apps - 7 goals - 5 assists

Rangers

- 2010-11 - 44 apps - 15 goals - 5 assists

Rangers

- 2011-12 - 23 apps - 7 goals - 1 assist

Overall

record at Rangers = 38 goals and 14 assists

Sion -

2012-13 - 28 apps - 8 goals - 2 assists

Palermo

- 2013-14 - 36 apps - 12 goals - 1 assist

Norwich

- 2014-15 - 20 apps - 1 goal - 1 assist

CAREER TOTAL

- 318 apps - 72 goals - 22 assists

The thing is with Lafferty is he has ability - he can score goals. But he just doesn''t score enough goals. I mean this season we haven''t seen the best of him because he was always used as a left winger. But that is not his position and I think to get the best out of him he needs to play up front as a target man. The problem he has at Norwich is he has Hooper & Grabban ahead of him - so it will be very difficult for him to get into the team. I think it may better for him to move to another club - so that he gets regular first team football.