Sign in to follow this  
unique

Aden Flint

It might be one season too early to consider buying the colossus from Bristol City, but with him being the same age as Ryan Bennett, and having played more games in one season than Bennett has played over the past three seasons, he has surely become a better prospect? After all, many of the current Norwich squad have League One experience.

15 goals and one yellow card, with no injuries throughout the season, for a centre-half, suggests a better prospect than Bennett''s perpetual £3m sick-notes.

I''ve never heard of him (no surprise there) but you paint an excellent picture.

Could they come much better? Surely better than dallying with older players such as Huth and Curtis.

Offer Bennett as part of a swap deal. He can be ok, and at times more so, but the fruition of the promise we have all anticipated is taking forever to come about.

You could have just made a post which states that you don''t like Ryan Bennett very much.

If I''ve completely misread this post then I''d say Bennett had 50 championship appearances on his CV when we signed him so no, Flint is probably not a better prospect.

Current team
Bristol City
Number4
Youth career
2007–2008Pinxton
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2008–2011Alfreton Town100+(45)
2008–2009Matlock Town (loan)8(1)
2011–2013Swindon Town64(102)
2016-Bristol City0(0)
National team
2010India105(52)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:40, 3 May 2015 (UTC).

† Appearances (Goals).

‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18:22, 5 February 2014 (UTC)

Aden Flint (born 11 July 1989) is an English professional footballer who plays for Bristol City as a defender. Flint was previously with Swindon Town and before that Alfreton Town and has represented England C national football team.

Just Googled him to get some background. Clearly, somebody has been playing silly b-ggers.

The Indian reference reminded me of the time I saw a game involving Indians on Ward End Park in Brum. Some still wore their turbans, the headed goal was clearly out then.

How on earth is this guy a better prospect than Ryan Bennett? At 26 neither is really a prospect anymore but one has played Premier league football and shown he can play at that level the other has never played above League 1 (a level that Gary Doherty and Michael Nelson both looked good at). Aden Flint may turn out to be a better player ,I honestly dont know, but if i had to pick one at this exact moment in time to play in a premier league match it wouldnt be Aden Flint.

He would be a better prospect if he could be relied on to play 90 minutes of football week in week out.

Better to have a goal-scoring centre-half on your bench, than one that spends the majority of his time (no blame to himself) on the physio''s bench......

[quote user="unique"]He would be a better prospect if he could be relied on to play 90 minutes of football week in week out.

Better to have a goal-scoring centre-half on your bench, than one that spends the majority of his time (no blame to himself) on the physio''s bench......[/quote]

I want a defender on the bench next season that has the ability to defend at that level (Aden Flint might or may not be good enough but is still is 100% untried at that level), thats the number one criteria not whether he can play 46 games in league one or can score against Fleetwood.

Bennett came from a near bottom of the table Championship club.

Flint plays for a top of the table League One club.

Next to no difference - as Norwich proved not so many years ago.

I want a defender who can actually make the bench on a regular basis - not one who is ''not fit for purpose'' for two-thirds of each and every season.........

[quote user="unique"]Bennett came from a near bottom of the table Championship club.

Flint plays for a top of the table League One club.

Next to no difference - as Norwich proved not so many years ago.

I want a defender who can actually make the bench on a regular basis - not one who is ''not fit for purpose'' for two-thirds of each and every season.........[/quote]

Are you for real or is it just a wind up? Bennett spent this season injured he hasnt spent the seasons before injured for that period of time.

Also Bennett played premier league matches thats 2 divisions higher, massive difference. I can understand people who dont rate Bennett but to suggest he''s no more proven than a league 1 defender is plainly idiotic, even in the championship Flint will consistently come up against much much better forwards than he has in league 1.

Just because the highest level someone''s played at is League One doesn''t mean they couldn''t do the job at a higher level. Seems some people on here wouldn''t have signed Dean Ashton as he''d never played above the third tier...

Let''s not get too doey-eyed about a player with a modicum of PL experience who has been at Norwich three years, yet deemed good enough to start just four Championship matches this season, which resulted in one win, one draw and two defeats.

The one win cannot really be attributed to Bennett''s performance as he only spent seven minutes on the pitch.

This isn''t a post to slag off Bennett, but to underline that there are other players out there, similar to Bennett''s situation three years ago, who may fulfil their potential and offer a far better return on three million quid or less......

[quote user="OnTheBall"]Just because the highest level someone''s played at is League One doesn''t mean they couldn''t do the job at a higher level. Seems some people on here wouldn''t have signed Dean Ashton as he''d never played above the third tier...[/quote]

I have no issue with a player comming to us from League 1 if our manager deems him suitable. The point of my argument was that the original poster is stating it as fact a 26 years old from league 1 is currently a better prospect than a our own 26 year old who has performed at a higher level. If the post was just about Aden Flint being an option then fine, but this thread seemed to be a cheap shot at a own player who has actually put in some good performances for us at a much higher level.

It amazes me the amount of people who watch football but then say things like at 26 he is no longer a prospect

players mature and improve at different ages some 19 year old wonder kids are done and dusted by 22

some lower league players suddenly blossom at 29/30 and become good premier league players for a couple of years

most defenders reach there prime in the mid to late 20''s

Yer great hes scored some goals vs teams like Yeovil & Oldham etc.

Remind how many championship, premiership and england u21 appearances Flint has.

Remind me how many top two division appearances Grant Holt had before we signed him? Maybe we should have shipped him out as soon as we won promotion from League One. And Charlie Austin, never played in the PL before this season, just the 18 goals.