Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Alright then......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="king canary"]Thats not how I remember it at all but there you go.[/quote]Just take a telling, he''s never wrong[;)]If he''s saying it sounded negative on dodgy streams, then thats exactly how it happened.[/quote]Poor Morty, cant resist sticking his nose in. I''ve been at many games over the years where the crowd has been tense, nervous and quiet - the one that stands out in my mind was the Norwich v Birmingham match in 2004 where we managed to win 1-0 to keep our premiership hopes alive.  Crowd tension DOES make a difference to the players and at the start of the 2011 season - there was plenty of that around. Understandable - up to a point - but that is why I ask the question - will we as fans be more optimistic next season than we were in that first season in the prem under Lambert? 

[/quote]Couple of points bellendio.1. Its an open internet forum, not a private conversation.2. We are not talking about 2004.

I don''t want to be ''that guy'' but were you at any of these games? Because I was and there was none of this nervous tension you keep going on about.

[quote user="king canary"]I don''t want to be ''that guy'' but were you at any of these games? Because I was and there was none of this nervous tension you keep going on about.[/quote]

Yes I went to several games at the start of that season and was less than impressed by the level of positive support - particularly at the Stoke game where I heard lots of abuse and running down of our players - the first home game of the season and players being shouted at and abused. It is a real eye opener when you go to a match infrequently as I do, expect the crowd to be well up for the match, only to find a rather fatalistic and even apathetic atmosphere surrounding the place.  I''m hoping for a really positive outlook at the start of next season - and I will try to get to as many matches at the beginning of the season as I can - and as I always do - but I will be disappointed if it is the same as it was that first prem season under Lambert and the first season under Hughton. 

The only start of season I felt any great positivity from the fans as a whole was the 2009 season  - and although that didn''t go well (understatement) - the atmosphere before that game was electric. At the start of this last season, although we were winning matches, there

was a slightly unreal feel to them, almost as if we were winning but

didn''t deserve to be.  Its all about opinions and perceptions. I accept you didn''t feel the things I did at some of those games under Lambert, but I can only go on what I felt at the time.

AN appears to have been less than impressed with the home support and commented on it improving.

At half-time against 1p5wich recently he told the players to ignore the anxious fans.

Good job he didn''t see the Reading game.

Perhaps that is the downside of all our season ticket holders frightened to give them up; determined to go because they''ve already paid for the game and not always happy to be there so sulking and whinging instead of supporting.

Agree with that Rudolph. I often get the feeling that some season ticket holders are attending games they wouldn''t have brought casual tickets to see. Then if it all starts to go wrong on the pitch they have a much shorter fuse.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]I''m going to do my best to not be rude here LDC but...what are you on about? All I remember is fans (not unreasonably) wondering if players who only 2 seasons before were playing in League 1 cutting it in the Premier League and expecting to be in relegation fight. This wasn''t negative just realism. In my experience it was the most positive season I could remember since the Huckerby led promotion charge as every goal, every performance and every win felt absolutely massive.

And the only reason I mentioned Hughton was because THAT was when the situation you described n your OP actually happened.[/quote]

Not so. That first season started off with a lack of belief off the field, only partially turned round after the Liverpool 1-1.  So many people were determined to talk us down, it was ridiculous.  Fortunately the team, particularly Holt -  and the manager - had other ideas.

[/quote]
You''re wrong.
How do I know?
I was at every home game. Surrounded by Norwich fans.
You were in the Lake District.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]I''m going to do my best to not be rude here LDC but...what are you on about? All I remember is fans (not unreasonably) wondering if players who only 2 seasons before were playing in League 1 cutting it in the Premier League and expecting to be in relegation fight. This wasn''t negative just realism. In my experience it was the most positive season I could remember since the Huckerby led promotion charge as every goal, every performance and every win felt absolutely massive.

And the only reason I mentioned Hughton was because THAT was when the situation you described n your OP actually happened.[/quote]

Not so. That first season started off with a lack of belief off the field, only partially turned round after the Liverpool 1-1.  So many people were determined to talk us down, it was ridiculous.  Fortunately the team, particularly Holt -  and the manager - had other ideas.

[/quote]
You''re wrong.
How do I know?
[/quote][:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]I''m going to do my best to not be rude here LDC but...what are you on about? All I remember is fans (not unreasonably) wondering if players who only 2 seasons before were playing in League 1 cutting it in the Premier League and expecting to be in relegation fight. This wasn''t negative just realism. In my experience it was the most positive season I could remember since the Huckerby led promotion charge as every goal, every performance and every win felt absolutely massive.

And the only reason I mentioned Hughton was because THAT was when the situation you described n your OP actually happened.[/quote]Not so. That first season started off with a lack of belief off the field, only partially turned round after the Liverpool 1-1.  So many people were determined to talk us down, it was ridiculous.  Fortunately the team, particularly Holt -  and the manager - had other ideas. [/quote]
You''re wrong.
How do I know?
[/quote][:D][/quote]I pity you poor s*ds. Unable to argue anything without resorting to put downs.  I go to games every season and often go to the ones at the beginning to get a flavour of what is happening, so crawl back into your little holes unless you have something to say that involves discussion.

There was a very real atmosphere surrounding those early games that we were going to struggle that season and apart from the first game at Wigan, which was a celebration of promotion as much as anything (yes I was there) the Stoke game (yes I was there) was a much more tense affair - it was one of those games where the tension cuts right through the ground, getting 1-0 up then the nerves setting in around the stadium from quite an early stage.  The consensus was that we were''nt going to get anything from the top teams so we had to get points off the teams around us and that nonsense  (indicated by the "relegation mini league") affected those matches making them more tense than they needed - and as I said before, the Blackburn match was built up out of all proportion. 

History and common sense proves that you have to take points off those that surround you - but history and common sense also shows that points you take off the top clubs that are just as important in the final outcome. A point is a point - and getting too hung up about those who you perceive might be around you near the bottom of the table is not a positive mindset. 

You carry on with your self-denials about what happens at Carrow Road, but I''ll continue to visit from time to time as I do and I will report what I see and feel has happened. Its not a criticism of people that they get tense or nervous, its just an observation. Next season when I go to the first home game (as I nearly always do) I hope I get a sense of positivity - if I don''t, I will say so. As for hogesar, suggest you discuss the thread properly or stfu.  

The problem is LDC I can''t discuss this particular thread properly with you because I fundamentally disagree with your initial claims, which kind of makes your point mute as far as I''m concerned.
All I remember, and that includes the Wigan away game which I also attended, was a huge amount of positivity and potentially still a small amount of disbelief that we were in the Premiership. Were there some nerves? On the pitch there was at that Wigan game, as to be expected. But generally speaking, everyone around me in the Lower Barclay were positive and really got behind the players that year.

You are wrong LDC. After 2 successive promotions (i''m a season ticket holder and went to every game) i, this forum and Norwich fans i know personally were incredibly positive!We sold out Wigan away in our first match back if i remember correctly. Would we have done that if we weren''t positive?

The biggest irony in this is that Hughton was incredibly negative and yet to you the sun shined out of his backside!

[quote user="morty"]Bit of a theme developing here Lakey......[/quote]Is the theme that despite rarely going to games, LDC feels it necessary to come on here and patronise all and sundry about the support of their team which in turn makes him look like a massive ****?

[quote user="canary_1902"][quote user="morty"]Bit of a theme developing here Lakey......[/quote]Is the theme that despite rarely going to games, LDC feels it necessary to come on here and patronise all and sundry about the support of their team which in turn makes him look like a massive ****?

[/quote]Yes.Yes it is.

LDC read this extract from your post further back, and answer honestly, reading this again would you change anything you said here ?

You carry on with your self-denials about what happens at Carrow Road, but I''ll continue to visit from time to time as I do and I will report what I see and feel has happened. Its not a criticism of people that they get tense or nervous, its just an observation. Next season when I go to the first home game (as I nearly always do) I hope I get a sense of positivity - if I don''t, I will say so

[quote user="morty"][quote user="canary_1902"][quote user="morty"]Bit of a theme developing here Lakey......[/quote]Is the theme that despite rarely going to games, LDC feels it necessary to come on here and patronise all and sundry about the support of their team which in turn makes him look like a massive ****?

[/quote]Yes.Yes it is.[/quote]Knew it! [:D] Was fairly obvious though.. [;)]

@LDC

That Stoke game was some pretty exceptional circumstances- we were 1-0 up, holding on with 10 men and looking for our first win in a new division- nerves there are hardly surprising.

I''m with Hoegsar- I fundamentally don''t agree with what you say about that season.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC read this extract from your post further back, and answer honestly, reading this again would you change anything you said here ?

"You carry on with your self-denials about what happens at Carrow Road, but I''ll continue to visit from time to time as I do and I will report what I see and feel has happened. Its not a criticism of people that they get tense or nervous, its just an observation. Next season when I go to the first home game (as I nearly always do) I hope I get a sense of positivity - if I don''t, I will say so" [/quote]

No. Wouldn''t change a word.

[quote user="king canary"]@LDC That Stoke game was some pretty exceptional

circumstances- we were 1-0 up, holding on with 10 men and looking for our first

win in a new division- nerves there are hardly surprising. I''m with Hoegsar- I

fundamentally don''t agree with what you say about that season.[/quote]

The anxiety in the crowd at that match, where I was in the City Stand anyway, was palpable. It was a nervy match, but  against a team that even with one extra man, did not have that much about them.

Btw, my comments were only about the beginning of the season and the uncertainty around that we were up to the task, not the season as a whole.  I am just suggesting that this time up, people will be a bit more optimistic about our chances at the start of the season than under Lambert.  There were plenty of people who wondered if we were going to be good enough at the beginning of that season. I suspect there will be a lot more people this coming season who think we will be good enough this coming season.

I remember it well- we were sitting deeper and deeper as time went on and that equaliser was feeling inevitable. If that is the game your using the claim all these nerves I think you''re reading too much into that.

I think people were pretty positive going in to that season but realistic as the promotion from the Championship was unexpected enough. Nothing wrong with that. You might be right that people will be more confident this time around but that is a natural side effect of this being a team from that was very recently in the Premier League, rather than one that had very recently been in League One.

I can remember quite a few fans at some of the early games wondering if we were good enough to beat whatever team or stay up. Off the top of my head we went about 5 or 6 games before getting a win and some people were starting to get nervy. This anxiety dissipated quite soon after our first couple of wins as we started to climb up the table.Of course some people''s perceptions, memories and experiences would have been different, but there''s at least some truth to what the OP says. There might be some indication of this nerviness on the match threads on here if anyone cared to look.

LDC is so out of touch with the general feeling of the fanbase it''s embarrassing.

When we were promoted under Lambert I was excited, happy and entirely confident of staying up and we did. At no point in the season did I not enjoy it. I thought we were fantastic and the season was too. I don''t know where these major fears and doubts were, but certainly not from me and the numerous Norwich fans that I know.

And as for the "tension" and "fear" before the Blackburn game in 11/12, I have no idea where you got this from. We''d had a decent start and there was nothing but optimism. Seriously, do you make everything up to suit your depressing anti fan agenda? Zzzzz zzzzzz zzzzz

To be fair the only negativity that I remember from the beginning of that season was towards Grant Holt. There were a lot of fans, on here and in the stadium, who doubted his ability to play PL football. Once they were proved wrong support was united until near the end of the season when we''d lost a few and those who had doubted Holty started to doubt our defence. Maybe the board listened to them and recruited Hughton to sort it out...