Sign in to follow this  
TheTetteyRole

The two focus points for the summer

This is simply my opinion, but I think that we need to crack down on two main areas.

1. A long term Hoolahan replacement. Wes has been our talisman for years, but is getting old and will tire easier with every game. This may be a young player, a converted winger and someone already proven but we should try at least for a new AM (Redmond isn''t exactly reliable is he...)

2. Defenders. There has been poor areas throughout the defence this season but on the whole the four playing have been solid. That was the Championship. We need good defenders, possibly imports, to help us stay up.

Maybe a striker too, but of that I''m not sure who to go with.

I think Dorrans will rotate with Wes in that role this season, and think Dorrans will look a little more comfortable in the prem than he did at times in the champ. Long term replacement.....lets think about it this time next year if we stay up I would say.

Cant argue about defenders, been an issue we havent really sorted since getting promoted under Lambert.  I''m not convinved by Olsson tbh, Seb fine, Russ better RB than CB as we all know, and while I like Whitts at champ level we need to upgrade for the prem.  So a new first choice CB and RB, maybe dip into the LB market in Jan if Olsson not working out.  Russ and Whitts then make able backup along with other squad defenders we have.

Up front for me (assuming we are keeping all three main strikers from this season and RVW is back) we just need one decent signing.  I cant think of anyone better for a couple of seasons than Ricky Lambert.  Wont cost much (£2m ish), good experience, can do the one up front role easily or work as a pair, links up play well and scores goals.  Just a no brainer for me but am sure there will be many clubs chasing him.

Thats my take.

Ricky Lambert is superb at holding the ball and bringing others into play. Scores well too. Speed-wise he isn''t great at closing down defenders and goalkeeper; providing Lewis Grabban was assigned that task, I could see Lambert being a very beneficial signing.