Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Cameron McGeehan

Cameron McGeehan off to Luton on a permanent. That''s the Captain of our youth cup winning team gone for what''s reported as a 6 figure fee.How many others do we have to sell to justify the £2 MILLION ! a year on the academy one statues ?

So you''d rather we didn''t have an academy then? They don''t come free of charge, unfortunately.

How many of that cup winning side did we expect to break through into OUR first team then?

Off the top of my head I would assume the Murphys, Carlton Morris and Toffolo. I wouldn''t know McGeehan''s place in this hierarchy. 

That promising youngsters continually fall by the wayside is a given and surely six figure fees like this justify our expense on the Academy.

Besides, only one has to finally come off big-time and we are quids in.

Sounds like a good deal for the club and cam.

Unfortunately while we do have talented players coming through none are yet hitting the prem standard to start games that is needed for the coming season.

Cam getting a paid move demonstrates the academy is improving. We have more successes on teh way and with Rudd a possible home grown regular prem squad player.

It''s a tough one really, especially with us back in the big time. It''ll be yet harder for the likes of Murphy and Toffolo to get game time now. I had really hoped that the one upside to relegation last term was the emergence of some youngsters like Carroll did at Newcastle, but none have made that breakthrough quite yet.

I think it''s worth keeping though and most of the players we have got as a result of cat 1 status are still young anyway. The likes of the Murphys etc. were here before cat 1 was.

Also, where would we be without that screamer from Loza vs Huddersfield?

Shame he didn''t break through here, and I hope he has every success in his career, a six figure sum is good business from the club.

Considering just from that crop we have 2 x Murphy, Toffolo, Carlton Morris, Loza, and a few others, they will either prove their worth in the first team, or they will be sold. You have to wonder what the Murphys would be worth to someone though, I would think £1mill a piece would be seen as good value to a Champs club, and if they live up to their potential they will be worth a lot more to us in a few years,

It only takes one player to break out in a big way and the fee will fund the academy for years. You only have to look at Southampton - In the last 10 years they have had Theo Walcott (9 million) Bale (7 million - great business by Spurs) , Isgrove who is highly rated, Lallana (25million), Oxlade-Chamberlain (12mill + 3mill add ons), Luke Shaw (30 million). Callum Chambers (16mill plus add ons) (Plus Wayne Bridge two years outside the decade I set as the bar, for 7mill)

Total income - 102 million in 10 years, assuming running costs were 2mill per season (which I doubt they were that high for most of the decade) That''s a net profit of 82 million or 8.2 mill per season on the big names. Not exactly negligible.

I accept So''ton are probably the best run academy in the country at the moment for clubs of our size, but I haven''t even included the lesser players like Dexter Blackstock (500k) Leon Best (650k) Chris Baird (3mill) etc etc.

Our academy has produced very little for a decade, but that''s not to say we will never produce anyone good. In the long run, we are sure to have some hits along with the misses.

Was well down the pecking order and abit like Korey Smith & Adeyemi, we developed quicker than they did.

At least we will be entitled to a future transfer fee.

We should always insert first option buy back clauses when we sell promising young players, otherwise one of them will come back and bite us in the arsenal.