Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Recruitment & AN

Without doubt AN has done a fabulous job since arriving at Carrow Road and he has shown all the signs of a Manager with the qualities to go right to the top.The only unproven (so far) aspect to his ''armery'' is the ability to recruit the right players, we so far only have the examples of Tony Andreu who hardly made the bench and Graham Dorrans who whilst he did a reasonable job in the Championship is not deemed by WBA still to be a Premiership ''quality'' player, so why sign him on a permanent basis?I do not accept that we have a squad ''packed with players with Premiership experience''. We have a squad that, by definition, was last time not good enough to survive in the Premiership albeit under different leadership.The key to our ability, this time, to survive the rigours of that tough league will be AN''s ability to significantly improve our quality by bringing in the right individuals, sooner rather than later.An interesting Summer lies ahead!

The establishment of the ''footballing board'' last summer is a fairly clear sign that from then on managers would not be in charge of transfers (although would be included in the discussions).

A very sensible approach in my opinion.

As you said though an interesting summer does await us.

Partially agree with you, but our squad that "by definition was not good enough to survive" under different leadership is the same squad that was "by definition" the 7th best team in the Championship in January, and finished the season as Wembley winners and a run of 17 wins in 25 games under different leadership. Don''t underestimate the impact a decent manager can have.

Also, players like Johnno, Redmond and Whittaker look to have improved massively in the last year, particularly over the last 6 months, so although the same players went down, they have also improved since they collectively didn''t have enough under Hughton.

Andreu seemed to be a bit of a compensation buy from Hamilton to be fair, wouldn''t be surprised to see him go back on season long loan and then sold for peanuts to them next summer.

Dorrans has flattered to deceive in my opinion. Shows flashes of quality, but not consistently. I think we have to be fair to him, the fact Pulis didn''t fancy him doesn''t mean he was no longer deemed Prem quality any more so than the fact he played almost every game until Pulis came in proves he is Prem quality. He now has a full pre-season to prove his worth in a Premier League squad, and I suspect he may well do that.

But I do agree in principle that Neil''s transfer nous is yet to really be demonstrated, but I don''t think either of the two signings he has made so far particularly reflect on it either way.

The majority of this squad have also finished mid table in the prem - they do have experience and enough quality.

I am not sure that BJ & Whits have improved - my view is that they have played to their potential in a lower league and benefited from Alex Neils game plan. It is clear to me that Redmond is on the improve - as you would expect from his age.

Dorrans has a little extra quality compared to the estabmlished squad, which I expect to see next season - def a good pick by the club - not just Alex.

We seem to be moving to a soton-esque approach to player recruitment rather than manager specific.

There will be hits and misses this summer and yes, very much another anticipatory close season to come

I think we have found Johnson a perfect role, that''s helped. I still wouldn''t trust him in centre mid at premiership level. Out wide on the left winning headers and tackles and arriving late for a long range thunderbastard suits him down to a T. Hopefully he can continue this in the premiership and we don''t have to alter the role too much. I like the balance of his more defensive approach to Redmond''s more attacking approach.

Having Tettey there and the more mobile than our other choices Martin next to Whittaker has helped him be less exposed but I do wonder whether he''ll be able to make the step up. He''s a good technical player and gets stuck in but it''s no secret he lacks pace and the odd bit of concentration at times.

I should imagine that without doubt we will be adding to the squad, however I also think it is worth noting that most of our players did finish in a mid table position in the Prem, they also know what it is like to be relegated and I should imagine they will not want to repeat that experience, albeit it was ''a learning curve''. Experiencing failure can often be the spring board to achieving success.

At a guess this summer may well be similar to the summer of 2013. Then we were strengthening (or supposedly so!) to cement our place in the Premier League for a third season. This time we are strengthening to make the jump from the Championship, so the obvious comparison should be with  the summer of 2011.But this time we hardly need to upgrade and provide cover in every area, since we kept the core of the side that should not have been relegated in the first place. So I suspect the 2013 comparison will be nearer the mark.Then we only offloaded players (such as Holton and Vaughan) who were surplus to requirements, and spent very roughly a record Â£20m in transfer fees, plus £8m or so in potential add-ons, on the likes of Fer, Olsson, Redmond and van Wolfswinkel.The Guardian, informed or not, puts our likely transfer spend at £30m. If that includes add-ons then the comparison with 2013 would be reinforced. And another similarity, which is hardly a dazzling insight, is that our largest fee, as then, is likely to be paid out for a striker.One area to watch will be to see how keen Neil (and the football board) is on loan deals. Not an area in which we have tended to do as much business as other clubs. Middlesbrough, for example, had nine loan players this season, including key members of the sqaud, such as Bamford and Kalas.The one certainty is that we will not start paying silly money in terms of wages.

[quote user="kick it off"]Partially agree with you, but our squad that "by definition was not good enough to survive" under different leadership is the same squad that was "by definition" the 7th best team in the Championship in January, and finished the season as Wembley winners and a run of 17 wins in 25 games under different leadership. Don''t underestimate the impact a decent manager can have.

Also, players like Johnno, Redmond and Whittaker look to have improved massively in the last year, particularly over the last 6 months, so although the same players went down, they have also improved since they collectively didn''t have enough under Hughton.

Andreu seemed to be a bit of a compensation buy from Hamilton to be fair, wouldn''t be surprised to see him go back on season long loan and then sold for peanuts to them next summer.

Dorrans has flattered to deceive in my opinion. Shows flashes of quality, but not consistently. I think we have to be fair to him, the fact Pulis didn''t fancy him doesn''t mean he was no longer deemed Prem quality any more so than the fact he played almost every game until Pulis came in proves he is Prem quality. He now has a full pre-season to prove his worth in a Premier League squad, and I suspect he may well do that.

But I do agree in principle that Neil''s transfer nous is yet to really be demonstrated, but I don''t think either of the two signings he has made so far particularly reflect on it either way.[/quote]Minor point perhaps ''Kick it Off'' but until Pulis went in WBA were probably on their way to the Championship!

The year we went down with Hughton/Adams I was the most excited about the season ahead for many a long year with what seemed like very good signings.

The year we went up under Lambert I was convinced that we would struggle quite badly.

So it''s probably me not getting it right, but the fact that we stayed up pretty comfortably with what might now look like inferior players, yet went down with what looked like a decent squad, suggests to me that the manager is far more important to what is going to happen than the identity of specific players.

I sense that AN will know already pretty much exactly who he sees figuring next year out of the current squad, and any players brought in will be ones he feels he can work with, and more than that I feel pretty confident that he will get the best out of whomsoever arrives.

I don''t think he''ll want to risk team spirit either by bringing in a load of fancy-dans.

One I really like is Gary O''Neil, a mature player, and to my mind underrated, but I really hope he stays on after his third promotion.

We won''t be buying any fancy dans  - and anyone who is worth their salt as a player would want to come and work for a young successful manager, so recruitment is just not an issue.   I believe that the first team sheet will look pretty much the same as the wembley teamsheet and any recruitment will be of strengtheners rather than replacements.  This squad, with the right attitude is capable of staying in the premiership - without question. Every single player has developed/improved and under the fantastic manager we have, so there will be no problem on staying up, as long as team spirit/belief is there - and there is no reason to suppose it won''t be.

Vadis/Andrue/Murphys et al will be subsiduary squad members hoping to make the breakthrough and the remaining four or five places in the squad can be filled by players brought in to cover  in defence, cover Tettey, and cover right and left side midield.   Recruitment?  Just not a problem.  People will be falling over themselves to come to our club, the way it is at the moment - and the joy of it is, we won''t want most of them, as there are limited places available. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]the remaining four or five places in the squad can be filled by players brought in to cover  in defence, cover Tettey, and cover right and left side midield.[/quote]Your whole post is so wrong Lakey. New players brought in need to be improvements on the existing squad rather than bought as cover  for players already here. In the Premier League, you have to improve just to stand still.Although several players have looked much better this season, it must be remembered we have been playing in the second tier and the Prem will be a much more difficult challenge.I firmly believe that any new players will be bought with the expectation they will automatically be starters. It''s the only way forward.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]the remaining four or five places in the squad can be filled by players brought in to cover  in defence, cover Tettey, and cover right and left side midield.[/quote]Your whole post is so wrong Lakey. New players brought in need to be improvements on the existing squad rather than bought as cover  for players already here. In the Premier League, you have to improve just to stand still.Although several players have looked much better this season, it must be remembered we have been playing in the second tier and the Prem will be a much more difficult challenge.I firmly believe that any new players will be bought with the expectation they will automatically be starters. It''s the only way forward.[/quote]You may well be right, but I''m of the school of thought that gives belief to what you have and make the best of it, regardless of what others think.  The media will say we will get this player or that, a lot of fans will think  like you do that we must get improvements - players themselves will probably think that we need better players in the team - but what does the manager think??    We don''t really know for sure, - we know he likes to bring on young players - but when we do get players in, which of course we will,  I think we are more likely to see Dorrans type players who have experience, but won''t be spectacular signings and therefore won''t necessarily be immediate starters.  We''ll see in due course of course........

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="morty"][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]Its a good thread, so stick to talking football. This kind of cr*p does you no favours.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Waffles_zps2tmvbnvb.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]Its a good thread, so stick to talking football. This kind of cr*p does you no favours.

[/quote]Like the sort of crap you are talking in the thread right next to this one?Go fuck yourself.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Out of interest why did you post that picture Morty?[/quote]Because he was waffling. It is waffles.

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Well I hope your picture stops Lappy waffling in the future......[/quote]It was for Lakey.Obviously.[:)]