Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Looks like we have no choice on RVW ?

Well, seems like the French don''t want him, hope this link works;

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/ricky-van-wolfswinkel-to-return-to-norwich/?

My fear is his wages hampers other impending arrivals, so need Mr McNally to work his magic and find a way of offloading the Wolf.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Well, seems like the French don''t want him, hope this link works;

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/ricky-van-wolfswinkel-to-return-to-norwich/?

My fear is his wages hampers other impending arrivals, so need Mr McNally to work his magic and find a way of offloading the Wolf.[/quote]St-Etienne said that back in April, and this "story" is probably just  based on that. It is possible that was a negotiating ploy by St-Etienne, and privately they would like to keep van Wolfswinkel. But if that was the case he would hardly have been an unused sub so often in the latter stages of the season. My money would be in us having to take what would almost certainly be a record loss to offload the player.

I see him being quietly moved on for £2-£3m back to Portugal or Holland or even another loan move. Feel sorry for the lad as this move seems to have destroyed his career.

king canary wrote the following post at 30/05/2015 12:17 PM:

I see him being quietly moved on for £2-£3m back to Portugal or Holland or even another loan move. Feel sorry for the lad as this move seems to have destroyed his career.

KC Grow up

This move turned him into a multi millionaire - I cry every night for him so sad - he will earn more in 4 years than you earn in a life time

KC

I suppose you fell sorry for the following as well - all will never play for us again and are now on massive wages

Voodoo

Lafferty

San Miquell

Dont get too distraught please - good old Adams

Not really- I think you''re wrong on Vadis though, he will still be here next season.

Neither Lafferty or Miquel were so high profile as RVW so there lack of end product wasn''t under the microscope. I bet nobody outside of Norfolk gives a toss about Miquel but most football fans will remember RVW as one of the biggest flops in the Prem which is a hard thing for a player to live down.

RVW stands little or no chance of playing for us in the Premier League, Alex Neil or not. We have been there before and it cost us. Too risky.

It has crossed my mind that his best chance of making any imprint upon our club might well have been if he had stayed last season and found his feet in the more benign environment of the Championship. Conceivably, he could have then developed onwards. Apparently, he wanted out though.

He would have probably been fourth choice, but in retrospect, I would have preferred him to Lafferty (who cost us money to sign.) 

As somebody pointed out above, we might get a couple of million from Portugal. 

It is of priority that we do not let the saga of Van Wolfswinkle cost us any more money than it already has, by him clocking up a wages bill.

I, personally, do not equate him with a Becchio, content to sit on his bum and stay put just for the wage packet. I guess he would rather play at a loss, if there is such a footballer these days.   

Nothing will happen to him until pre-season, he''s a Norwich City player and I''m sure AN will want to have a look at him.

AN hasn''t seen anything of him and as he said to Bassong when he arrived, whatever happened happened, he''s not bothered about the past and I suspect it will be the same for RVW.

Why wouldn''t he want to come back and have a go, from memory he didn''t slag off the place or the club. He''s a professional, he''ll report for training like all the rest and see where he stands.

For the record, I don''t think he''ll still be here come season start but you never know.

Different managers/different players.....many a good player has benefited from a change of manager, Christian Benteke for one. And before anyone thinks I''m comparing RVW with Benteke, I''m not, just making a point that sometimes a player can be lifted by a different manager

We have to bear in mind very few players came out with any credit or had a good season under Hughton, who didn''t play an attacking game.

RVW included. And this was the guy, but a season before being strongly linked with moves to Man U etc.

AN has been remarkable in getting the best out of players and I think we have to trust in him to assess the RVW situation. If he feels he is a different sort of player and can motivate him, who knows we may get a very different player back in RVW!

RVW undoubtedly was on a downer when he was here before......but we are a different prospect now and when he comes back will impress the new manager - he will work incredibly hard  (requirement no.1) and he will be asked to adapt to the kind of front running role that AN demands - and will show willing and the ability to do it.

Those that doubt the above only might care to remember the Spurs game last season where his constant harrassment of Spurs defenders led directly to our goal, it also led to a standing ovation for his effort and hard work, when he was subbed. Just one game, maybe, but this manager is strong enough to insist on that level of performance week in week out.  He has always had the finishing technique, but in a team operating so inneffectively for large parts of the season he was here, he rarely had the opportunity to build any confidence or get enough chances to convert - and the problem was team wide, not just RVW''s.   Also, that penalty he was stopped from taking was a complete farce and imo a season defining moment for him and the club.  

I would be amazed if he is cast out without AN being given a chance to evaluate and accomodate him if he can. At the very least, if he shows well in training, he could be considered fourth striker. After all, we have three strikers who will be here next season, so he could bide his time. Also, his re-habilitation with the fans would happen quite quickly, if AN gets him up to speed and he starts scoring a goal here and there. If he does stay, AN will likely say something publicly to the effect that RVW has a role to play - and who would we be to turn round and say he is wrong? 

Well said LDC. For all who say you need a physical presence to be a striker, well look at little Wes. Look at Walcott playing for Arsenal today!

An invigorated RVW will bring a technical game, someone who I think will thrive off of a striker, and he could be perfect foil for all of our current strikers

I don''t think anybody would hold it against the Wolf if it really happened, and he was able to produce the goods under AN, however most would agree its unlikely ?

Personally id like him in the squad, he didn''t do that bad considering how limited his chances were in France. He''s certainly an improvement on Bechio and could well be the shock packages once AN has had some influence. Bassong is a prime example of this.

The Bassong situation was a bit different though It was known that he was class ie. PoS award.

Admittedly he was not at his best during Hughton''s last few months, but some put that down to a niggle of an injury.

He was ostracised by Adams for non-footballing reasons.

Neil had no gripe with Bassong, so the decision was straight forward.

The question mark against RVW is about his ability, Bassong''s was never in doubt.

Broadstairs, RVW was a full international wasn''t he?

Not sure whether he was part fo the dutch squad this last season though?

[quote user="Samwam27"]Broadstairs, RVW was a full international wasn''t he?

Not sure whether he was part fo the dutch squad this last season though?[/quote]

Fair enough, but he never established himself and hasn''t been near the squad for a while.

Funnily enough, the first time I saw him in action was when playing for Holland. It was after we had signed him and it was in one of those games versus a minor country that are used for experimentation ie. a very friendly, friendly. It was tv and I watched it to suss out our new, exciting record signing.

I was actually disappointed by a non-descript performance with a lot of running, but little involvement.

I put this disappointment behind me and expected better when the real action (for NCFC) started. Sadly, it was the sign of things to come.

I would love, love, love for him to come good under AN, but fear that it is unlikely. 

Id rather have a donkey with 1 leg and downs syndrome up front for us.

Whether you could tell the difference or not is up for debate.

[quote user="lake district canary"]1) RVW undoubtedly was on a downer when he was here before.......but we are a different prospect now and when he comes back will impress the new manager - he will work incredibly hard  (requirement no.1) and he will be asked to adapt to the kind of front running role that AN demands - and will show willing and the ability to do it. 2) Those that doubt the above only might care to remember the Spurs game last season where his constant harrassment of Spurs defenders led directly to our goal...3)... it also led to a standing ovation for his effort and hard work, when he was subbed. Just one game, maybe, but this manager is strong enough to insist on that level of performance week in week out.4)  He has always had the finishing technique, but in a team operating so inneffectively for large parts of the season he was here, he rarely had the opportunity to build any confidence or get enough chances to convert - and the problem was team wide, not just RVW''s.5)   Also, that penalty he was stopped from taking was a complete farce and imo a season defining moment for him and the club.   6) I would be amazed if he is cast out without AN being given a chance to evaluate and accomodate him if he can. At the very least, if he shows well in training, he could be considered fourth striker. After all, we have three strikers who will be here next season, so he could bide his time. Also, his re-habilitation with the fans would happen quite quickly, if AN gets him up to speed and he starts scoring a goal here and there. If he does stay,7) AN will likely say something publicly to the effect that RVW has a role to play - and who would we be to turn round and say he is wrong? 

[/quote]1) A downer on Premier League wages? I don''t think so.2) I do actually. And the harrassment of Rose was the one good thing he did all game. And it was the Johnson pass that created the goal. I would sooner have had Jim Blair, or even Lionel or Tony Blair, up front.3) This is England. You people love dumb animals. It was that kind of ovation.4) There is an element if truth in this, but you then need to explain his performance at St-Etienne - a club where if he was going to perform anywhere that was as good a place as any. After a slow - ie non-scoring - start he had a purpleish patch late last year. So if a lack of confidence had been the problem then that should have solved that. Except that, apart from scoring against lower-league opposition in the French Cup, the goals dried up completely. So he spent the last several league matches as a sub, normally unused.5) A farce? Yes. But this is professional sport. He should have got past that. We are back to the dumb-animal thing.6) We have three, none of whom is absolutely PL-quality. We at the least need a fourth who obviously is. Which RvW is far, far, far from obviously so.7) Me for one.

Well it''s not for us to decide but if RVW is here come pre season then I''m sure AN will judge him the same as any other player.

Saying that if he is here come August and scores I would be very happy, but my gut says he''ll be sold soon.

If he''s here and does a job we would all be pleased.

Should Norwich retain RVW as - say - fourth choice striker in the Premier, something they can certainly now afford to do (and as Purple implies, may have little choice in), then thus would represent considerable squad progression.

Alex Neil will / would certainly give RVW a fresh start and fair opportunity pre-season. He will do this for (at least) two good reasons: one, he can cement strategic managerial principles (draw clear lines in the sand to the squad) as he did by bringing Bassong back. Such "set piece" events / decisions establish both rules, style and reputation. This creates rules, lines and boundaries that players need, follow and respect. Over time - and with repetition (vid now RVW on the same lines as Bassong) these become established and unchallenged.

Secondarily it would be foolish to dismiss ego as a factor. Alex Neil has a wonderful free hit with RVW. Many have written him off, Alex Neil can bring him back, cast an eye over him, give him a chance if he sees something and he will look like a genius if rehabilitation can be achieved.

Parma

[quote user="hogesar"]Id rather have a donkey with 1 leg and downs syndrome up front for us.

Whether you could tell the difference or not is up for debate.[/quote]

Hogesar, that is a completely offensive comment. If you had mentioned race or sex in the same context would people accept it? It''s ok to ridicule Downs Syndrome though

As long as the final decision on the Wolf''s future with Norwich is AN''s, that''s fine with me.

Parma Ham''s gone mouldy wrote the following post at 30/05/2015 10:12 PM:

Should Norwich retain RVW as - say - fourth choice striker in the Premier, something they can certainly now afford to do (and as Purple implies, may have little choice in), then thus would represent considerable squad progression.

Alex Neil will / would certainly give RVW a fresh start and fair opportunity pre-season. He will do this for (at least) two good reasons: one, he can cement strategic managerial principles (draw clear lines in the sand to the squad) as he did by bringing Bassong back. Such "set piece" events / decisions establish both rules, style and reputation. This creates rules, lines and boundaries that players need, follow and respect. Over time - and with repetition (vid now RVW on the same lines as Bassong) these become established and unchallenged.

Secondarily it would be foolish to dismiss ego as a factor. Alex Neil has a wonderful free hit with RVW. Many have written him off, Alex Neil can bring him back, cast an eye over him, give him a chance if he sees something and he will look like a genius if rehabilitation can be achieved.

Good measured post(as always) and I agree. My recent thoughts on RVW have been very much along the lines of get rid, but on reflection,what have we got to lose by AN looking at him and working with him.

AN''s a bit of a genius so who knows, he may be an even greater genius than we realise.

He does in fact have nothing to lose and much to gain.👍

Jenkins, I agree with the post as well. One thing I would say we have to lose is valuable points early on in the season if we persist with him too much or don''t buy another striker and think rvw will do. Whilst the fact we have other options make this less of a gamble, it''s a gamble nevertheless.

I looked on the comments of a recent French article recently and the ASSE fans are happy to see him leaving. A lot of comments suggested he would be more suited to a 4-4-2 formation but that he is completely useless as a lone striker. I can''t see us going 2 up top much next season.

I think it is best for all parties if we just cut our losses with him.His confidence was shot to pieces by the end of his time here (that blind pass against Fulham was probably the lowest point of all) and I don''t think his spell at Saint-Etienne will have helped rebuild it. I also don''t really see where he''s going to fit in to Alex Neil''s philosophy.I can see us shipping him off to a league that has more money than sense. Somewhere like Turkey or Russia.

[quote user="lake district canary"]RVW undoubtedly was on a downer when he was here before......but we are a different prospect now and when he comes back will impress the new manager - he will work incredibly hard  (requirement no.1) and he will be asked to adapt to the kind of front running role that AN demands - and will show willing and the ability to do it.

Those that doubt the above only might care to remember the Spurs game last season where his constant harrassment of Spurs defenders led directly to our goal, it also led to a standing ovation for his effort and hard work, when he was subbed. Just one game, maybe, but this manager is strong enough to insist on that level of performance week in week out.  He has always had the finishing technique, but in a team operating so inneffectively for large parts of the season he was here, he rarely had the opportunity to build any confidence or get enough chances to convert - and the problem was team wide, not just RVW''s.   Also, that penalty he was stopped from taking was a complete farce and imo a season defining moment for him and the club.  

I would be amazed if he is cast out without AN being given a chance to evaluate and accomodate him if he can. At the very least, if he shows well in training, he could be considered fourth striker. After all, we have three strikers who will be here next season, so he could bide his time. Also, his re-habilitation with the fans would happen quite quickly, if AN gets him up to speed and he starts scoring a goal here and there. If he does stay, AN will likely say something publicly to the effect that RVW has a role to play - and who would we be to turn round and say he is wrong? 

[/quote]A fairly well reasoned appraisal (apart from the last sentence as I am not sure why fans would want to turn around, away from the pitch perhaps ?). For my mind it would be in the club''s best interest to give him another go. We have little to lose, as I doubt we would get someone of his quality for what it would cost ie what we will get in transfer fee and saved wages. The only stumbling point would be he would be taking one of the 25 squad places so we would have to be certain that he was, or was going to be up for it. However with Josh Murphy and Carlton Morris on the fringes of the first team and not needing to be named in the squad (age) we would have cover.The way in which Whittaker, Bassong, Hoolahan and Johnson have thrived since Hughton left suggests the coaching staff could get him back to being what he was a year ago.