Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Redmond to Liverpool

If Liverpool come in for Redmond then they will have to convince his Mum first that its a good move and not just for footballing reasons.With that in mind I think that Redmond will still be a Norwich player come September

I was frustrated by Redmond until Alex Neil''s arrival. Under our new manager he''s now starting to do what he does for England u-21''s. Next season should be perfect for him at Norwich.

It would take a significant sum to let him go - north of £20m I would think.

Ings is in a very similar boat to the one Redmond would be actually, he joined Burnley 4 years ago at 18/19 after breaking through at Bournemouth, the same as Redmond for us and Birmingham.

Are you saying that of the £5m, Bournemouth will get a bit of that?

I see your point about us having money to spend anyway, but we''ll then be more desperate for a winger so teams would play on that, especially if we left it late to get one. I just keep thinking of that nonsense day when £85m was wasted on Carroll and Torres!

If we found a player with a nice Earnshaw style release clause that could help things but then like free transfer players, them and their agent just ask for more money. It would depend where the power lied, if we were their only shot at prem football we might avoid that but most quality players we should be looking at would have a few choices.

Too soon. he could stagnate at Liverpool, he won''t be the first. Something about a small fish in a big pond.

He''s not the finished article yet, despite the recent upsurge in his profile. Some young players can burst into the big-time without problem. NR does not strike me as that type. May be it''s the Mum thing, may be it''s because he comes over as the Club''s favourite kid, universally liked. As a home spun Brummie boy, he needs to be handled with care.

Besides, players rated at £20m do not sit on the bench of a Championship team, as has been the case on and off under Alex Neil, who is clearly treading with care with the boy.

Undoubtedly our star player with massive potential, still, and the most likely player that we have had in years who will wear the full England shirt.

Two more years at cumfy Carrow Road is just about right for him and for us too, as long as there is a valid contract extension. We will get more money, whilst NR will be more complete and ready for that big pond.  

We are a Premier League club and he''s one of our best players. He''s also young and English.

If we forces the issue £15 million minimum, otherwise hold onto him to the wire and try to get £20 Million plus on deadline day. He''s not a sulker or a bad egg, if he doesn''t get his move he''ll still perform so we hold all the cards here

The clubs position is strong at the moment - they can offer an england u21 star prem appearances and should be looking to extend and improve his contract now. That may be enough to keep him here as well as ensuring we maintain a higher price for longer.

Pacy players like redmond are always a tackle away from losing income - so a big wage move from liverpool or soton will tempt him. If there is real interest with a big wage increase I would make that move this summer.

So I expect either an improved contract or a sale; or possibly both to max a transfer fee...

I suppose we could do a new deal with conditions in if we go down. I wouldn''t want it to mean he shirks responsibilities if we find ourselves 17th with a game left though!

Well I''m gonna be a party pooper and say we should bite their hand off if anyone offers anything like the £15m being bandied about on here.Yes, he''s played really well in his last two games but he was so frustrating at Portman Rd. AN''s been here a few months now and Redmond has improved under him but he''s a typical winger.....great on his day but too many days when he''s off form. He needs to do a lot lot more and do it consistently. I can never understand why he performs so well in internationals but not so well at club level.Ideally it would be nice to wait and see how he performs on the bigger stage again so it might pay to resist all offers until at least the Jan transfer window. But if he doesn''t kick on now we''re unlikely to get silly money further down the line.

Thought he played very well at Portman Road, kept Mings in his own half for much of the game and created a fair few chances up front. Certainly Norwich''s most effective attacking player that game.

I''m not sure what a lot of fans expect from Redmond - his form did dip in the middle of the season, but then whose didn''t? Was excellent in the early season and then excellent again once he got his place back in the team - was the difference in the game against Ipswich at Carrow Road, and Norwich''s most dangerous player at Wembley. What more does the lad have to do?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Thought he played very well at Portman Road, kept Mings in his own half for much of the game and created a fair few chances up front. Certainly Norwich''s most effective attacking player that game.

I''m not sure what a lot of fans expect from Redmond - his form did dip in the middle of the season, but then whose didn''t? Was excellent in the early season and then excellent again once he got his place back in the team - was the difference in the game against Ipswich at Carrow Road, and Norwich''s most dangerous player at Wembley. What more does the lad have to do?[/quote]I think people are searching for that "Huckerbyesque" type of player. They want to see Redmond humiliating full backs, for fun, week in, week out.

could we call Liverpools bluff and get a player out of it?

They pay for Redmond but have to sweeten the deal by strengthening another area for us with a player?

Davey Mac should come out and say they cant afford him anyway.

If he wants to go and we get good money for him then the Murphy brothers must step up as they play in a similar position.

If we had stayed in the Championship, I would''ve probably said to sell him for £7-8m, invest in a couple of top Championship players, and promote a Murphy or two. However, I''m not convinced that either twin is ready for the Premier League, so now that we''ve gone up, I''d say we keep him unless we get a stupid, eight-figure offer. He''s a decent player, but I can''t help but feel he is slightly over-rated on a national scale.

Morty -

I think Redmond could become that player, his dribbling is as good as Hucks ever was and he is certainly quicker.

If Redmond can add more goals to his game then he will be a £20m player for certain.

Jas -

Would only work if Liverpool had a player, who would strengthen Norwich''s team, that would also want to leave Liverpool for Norwich. I can''t think of anyone really.

Personally, I don''t think Liverpool are interested - they have Sinclair and Ibe coming through. There is also Markovic who can play in the same positions as Sterling.

which hux did having frustrated fans at everyone from lincoln cov as he learnt.

So they sell Sterling for £35m, and their first thought is to buy Redmond? Does anyone believe that?

...having said that, this is Brodge we are talking about; the same manager who thought buying Balottelli was a good idea, as well as Borini, Lambert, Mignolet, allen, assaidi, sahain, yesil, toure, and cissoko.

Sh*t, this could happen

If they are selling Sterling for 35 Million i''d value Redmond at 15.

I would love him to stay and replicate his end of season form at the prem but anything above 15M we should take it.

He still needs some prem experience and we could buy a couple of solid players too and take a risk on another youngster.

Otherwise if he plays like he did last time he was in the prem his value will drop and we''d get less $$ for him ....

I''m with BroadstairsR on this one - I think he needs another season in the Prem to develop his potential before moving on to a better club than Liverpool.

At the moment , if he went to Liverpool, a couple of poor performances and he''s not even on the bench, and his development goes backwards. Also it may not be a good idea to be a Rodgers purchase these days.

I can see Liverpool going the same way as Newcastle at this rate

A year''s extension to his contract would be my ideal. At the end of next season he could be worth £20m - let me just ask this question: who is more threatening to the other team - Nathan Redmond or Ashley Young?

We should not be selling anyone to the likes of Southampton or Swansea. We are a premier league club again now. These clubs are no bigger than us and they are our rivals and regardless of the high finishes both have had in a couple if freak seasons the likelihood is both will be amongst the bottom dozen or so clubs fighting it out again this year. Selling to Southampton would send out a terrible message. Bottom half prem clubs do not sell their best players to each other.

Liverpool would be a different matter. They are a bigger club and it would be hard to refuse a player that opportunity.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 02/06/2015 1:54 PM:In fairness to Rodgers, he isn''t in control of transfers at Liverpool, he just has to manage them.

------------------------------

In fairness, do you have any evidence of this?

Was he not satisfied when Joe Allen and Borini came to Anfield for example

The only club in the top 10 in Prem where the manager actually has control over transfers is Arsenal. The managers have a say, but all the bigger clubs have a system where no one individual in in control. Even Norwich have this system now.

Rodgers requested Allen and Borini and the club agreed, he certainly didn''t ask for Balotelli (he mentioned in an interview it wasn''t happening while the club were arranging it without telling him).

This is pretty much how modern transfers work - managers have a say, but don''t get to make the decisions.

Cash in on Redmond - couple of step-overs and run it off into the corner for as throw isnt going to keep us up next year. Replace him with Barton or Charlie Adam, job done

I think in basically every club''s manager can say if they don''t want a player. Even at clubs like West Ham the manager has this power. Clubs aren''t dictatorships and managers should therefore be held responsible for the signings they make. Evidently Rodger''s has so far been poor in the transfer market.

I''m sure the owners would''ve liked to have kept Andy Carrol having dished out £35m for him, but as Brodge didn''t want him as it didn''t fit into his system they had to sell him, and for just £15m.

True Grit wrote the following post at 02/06/2015 2:33 PM:Cash in on Redmond - couple of step-overs and run it off into the corner for as throw isnt going to keep us up next year. Replace him with Barton or Charlie Adam, job done

----------------------

What a creative force we''d be if we did that, like the next Stoke under Pulis, great, a fans dream

The way FSG have set up Liverpool means Rodgers does not have the power of veto on a signing. Jose Mourinho also does not have the power of veto on signings.

Some clubs extend this power to their managers, some don''t. Southampton don''t give this power to Koeman, but they do listen to his advice.

Increasingly the Premier League is coming more into line with European Leagues who often don''t involve the managers in transfer decisions at all. If a manager is called a ''coach'' it generally means he does not have a veto on transfers.

£20m plus significant add-ons or go home in my opinion...

Whether he is worth that is besides the point, this first season is going to be vital for us and there is a lot of money at stake. Liverpool are used to paying way over the odds for players and we are in no need to sell.

Long story short, If we do sell it has to be hugely in our favour.

If a manager is called a coach then he''s not a manager, he''s a coach.

As we''re talking about Liverpool here, the name would be Mike Marsh, he wouldn''t have any authority over signings.

Some clubs go with ''Head Coach'' such as Tottenham, which strongly shows that Pochettino doesn''t have much (any) say in transfers. Others will use Manager to show they have a more all round job description.

Obviously it shouldn''t be used as a definitive guide - Liverpool do call Rodgers a manager, despite the fact he does the job of a head coach. i.e. tactics and training. There are other people employed at the club to make decisions regarding player contracts and recruitment.

This is getting a long way off the topic, which is Redmond, so I''ll leave it there.