Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Redmond to Liverpool

Just flagging up the pink un home page story re Redmond to replace Sterling at Liverpool. Whilst I think Sterling will definitely be sold, don''t think Redders will, had a perfect end to the season here. Anyone know how long his contract has left?

He is contracted until 30th June 2017.If I was McNally I would be looking to extend that.But he has sufficient time left on his contract that if Liverpool want him, they are going to have to pay big.

If Redmond were to move on, he will be a difficult act to follow and a real loss to the club.  His ability and development as a top player are now established beyond all doubt.  Imo we have to keep him if we have any ideas of  establishing ourselves as a force to be reckoned with next season.   Has he a price that would tempt Mcnally to sell him??  It has to be £30m, at least.

It all depends on whether Redmond turns down any contract offers. The reason Sterling is being muted for a move is because he has 2 years left on his contract and has refused to sign a new one. Liverpool can still get good money for him, but they know that they will probably have to sell this summer.

Norwich may have to cash in this summer also if Nathan makes it clear it''s time to go, rather than seeing his value halved come next summer.

£30m? Never. £20m, maybe but with much of it being tied up in performance related payments. Lallana, at a better age, with England caps and shortlisted for PFA Player of the Year AND 4 years on his contract, cost £25m. Redmond isn''t worth more than that.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It all depends on whether Redmond turns down any contract offers. The reason Sterling is being muted for a move is because he has 2 years left on his contract and has refused to sign a new one. Liverpool can still get good money for him, but they know that they will probably have to sell this summer.

Norwich may have to cash in this summer also if Nathan makes it clear it''s time to go, rather than seeing his value halved come next summer.

£30m? Never.
£20m, maybe but with much of it being tied up in performance related payments. Lallana, at a better age, with England caps and shortlisted for PFA Player of the Year AND 4 years on his contract, cost £25m. Redmond isn''t worth more than that.[/quote]Indeed, but I didn''t want to take the clickbait lol.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]

I havent seen enough of him since he came.

For those that have....do you feel he has improved any?

[/quote]Seriously?There was a game last Monday, not sure if you saw it?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It all depends on whether Redmond turns down any contract offers. The reason Sterling is being muted for a move is because he has 2 years left on his contract and has refused to sign a new one. Liverpool can still get good money for him, but they know that they will probably have to sell this summer.

£30m? Never. £20m, maybe but with much of it being tied up in performance related payments. Lallana, at a better age, with England caps and shortlisted for PFA Player of the Year AND 4 years on his contract, cost £25m. Redmond isn''t worth more than that.[/quote]

He may not be worth more than £20m in real terms, but what I said was what would persuade McNally to part with him, which may well be significantly more than that. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Mornington Crescent! Do I win?[/quote]

Wow! Do you want to have a go a ''one song to the tune of another''?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Karim Benzema[/quote]

Mornington Crescent.

[/quote]Micah Richards. From the Ponte Vecchio and the River Arno to Carrow Road and the Wensum. On a free. You heard it here first. And almost certainly last...

Southampton tried for Redmond last season but got Mane instead who has been a revalation for them, so I don''t think they need him, nor do I think Redmond would be chomping at the bit to go there. Yes it''s a step up but not a massive one.

Liverpool is a club that could twist his arm, yes, but I don''t think we will be selling him this summer. We have no need to sell him and are looking to build on what we have, not destroy it. Perhaps in January if we''re looking desperate he might go but he seems the kind of grounded kid that as long as he''s playing at premiership level with us and performing he won''t kick up a fuss.

We can worry about contracts etc. after we''ve seen the first half of the season. I think Liverpool made a big mistake trying to tie Sterling down before this season ended basically forcing the issue before they knew what european competition they would be in next season and i''m not surprised he wants to leave as Liverpool don''t look like getting back in the champions league any time soon.

So many variables here.

Is it money or appearances that Redmond wants?

What assurances does he need from us? He was an irregular starter under neil.

Is the opportunity to play in the europa league next season(soton & pool) an attraction?

How well does Redmond do for England in the finals this summer?

His domestic situation - is he settled and what advice does his mum give him

If he does well I can see him leaving to progress himself. As we dont have to sell and funding a replacement could be expensive I would hope to get £12m-15m for him - esp if he does well over the summer.

I know LDC, but as I explained in the first couple of paragraphs regarding Redmond''s contract is that Norwich may have to sell - if Redmond pushes the issue.

It''s a tough call for CEO/Directors of Football, do you sell for a high value now or hope you can convince the player to stay and hold onto him for a season (or two). Is cash in the hand better than potential value.

Personally, I''d sell.

Redmond is a cracking player, but his value is inflated due to the ''English Tax'', that doesn''t really matter to Norwich as European Qualification is a pipedream right now.

Take the £20m and reinvest in two good young wingers from the Championship (Demari Gray maybe) or abroad. Also, slap on the 20% value of future transfers and hopes Redmond goes onto become the player some are predicting and Man City buy him for £40m in a few years after they have broken Sterling.

(TCCanary; great minds hey?)

Grey was the stand out investment for me too, but would need a year or so - and not count towards the 25; balance that with antonio for the immediate effect as another lower league alternative

Bethnal, I can see the logic there but I really hope we don''t go selling our best players yet. He''ll still have 18 months on his deal in Jan and if he has to go then, so be it but if we sell him in summer and then struggle we''ll be kicking ourselves. You''ll know better than I do that even if we got £20m for him it wouldn''t be £20m to go spend on players.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I know LDC, but as I explained in the first couple of paragraphs regarding Redmond''s contract is that Norwich may have to sell - if Redmond pushes the issue.

It''s a tough call for CEO/Directors of Football, do you sell for a high value now or hope you can convince the player to stay and hold onto him for a season (or two). Is cash in the hand better than potential value.

Personally, I''d sell.

Redmond is a cracking player, but his value is inflated due to the ''English Tax'', that doesn''t really matter to Norwich as European Qualification is a pipedream right now.

Take the £20m and reinvest in two good young wingers from the Championship (Demari Gray maybe) or abroad. Also, slap on the 20% value of future transfers and hopes Redmond goes onto become the player some are predicting and Man City buy him for £40m in a few years after they have broken Sterling.

(TCCanary; great minds hey?)[/quote]

Fair do''s, if we have to sell.  But if not, I''d rather have Redmond in the team than any two £10m players who may or may not be as good as him.  We know what he can do, if we don''t have to sell him, then I would slap a huge price on him, such as the £30m, which will deter anyone from trying to poach him.

I thought the only Boro player on Monday who looked like he had a good game was Adomah, if we sold Redmond I would make a bid for him.

Jimmy (Tettey):-

Anything after this summer and the length of contact starts to become an issue. Redmond will seen as a long term prospect now, and in January. If clubs like Liverpool don''t get him this summer, they will happily wait until next summer when his value will drop significantly.

There are a lot of unknowns as Zipper points out, the U21s competition and Redmond''s own thoughts being the biggest two. If he goes onto star for England and gets tapped-up Norwich are in big trouble.

I think Norwich would reinvest the whole £20m into the player budget, McNally has been very good with that during Norwich and always stated all ''spare'' money goes that way.

I know Southampton are still interested in Redmond (along with a bunch of other wide players), as they are planning that Mane will probably move onto a bigger club in a couple of seasons and they are all about future proofing. They have also had to play Shane Long on the wing and that isn''t working out as hoped. Convincing Redmond wouldn''t be too hard, they have a great reputation for progressing young players and are happy to cash in when the chances arrive, progressing player''s careers.

I don''t want Redmond to go, I''d love him to sign a new contract. But Norwich need to be smart and capitalise on fees where possible. The best way for a club Norwich''s size is to buy cheap and sell high - this is exactly what Southampton and Swansea have been doing to great success.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="clarkey1972"]

[/quote]

Seriously?

There was a game last Monday, not sure if you saw it?
[/quote]

Yes I was there

But apart from the goal, I thought he was average and could have hurt them more than he did.

If players wish to leave there is little, if anything, clubs can do about it, Sterling and Liverpool providing a prime example of this. From Redmond''s perspective, both from a financial and profile perspective, a potential move to Liverpool must be a ''no-brainer''. Our real challenge is investing in a new striker and right-side defenders of sufficient quality to compete in the PL.

[quote user="clarkey1972"][quote user="morty"][quote user="clarkey1972"]

[/quote]Seriously?There was a game last Monday, not sure if you saw it?[/quote]

Yes I was there

But apart from the goal, I thought he was average and could have hurt them more than he did.

[/quote]Okay, if thats your opinion, fair enough.But towards the end of the season he has come on leaps and bounds, and looks like he is really finding that consistency, that he was previously missing.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Jimmy (Tettey):-

Anything after this summer and the length of contact starts to become an issue. Redmond will seen as a long term prospect now, and in January. If clubs like Liverpool don''t get him this summer, they will happily wait until next summer when his value will drop significantly.

There are a lot of unknowns as Zipper points out, the U21s competition and Redmond''s own thoughts being the biggest two. If he goes onto star for England and gets tapped-up Norwich are in big trouble.

I think Norwich would reinvest the whole £20m into the player budget, McNally has been very good with that during Norwich and always stated all ''spare'' money goes that way.

I know Southampton are still interested in Redmond (along with a bunch of other wide players), as they are planning that Mane will probably move onto a bigger club in a couple of seasons and they are all about future proofing. They have also had to play Shane Long on the wing and that isn''t working out as hoped. Convincing Redmond wouldn''t be too hard, they have a great reputation for progressing young players and are happy to cash in when the chances arrive, progressing player''s careers.

I don''t want Redmond to go, I''d love him to sign a new contract. But Norwich need to be smart and capitalise on fees where possible. The best way for a club Norwich''s size is to buy cheap and sell high - this is exactly what Southampton and Swansea have been doing to great success.[/quote]

Roger this, well said, close to what my own words would be :)

[quote user="clarkey1972"][quote user="morty"][quote user="clarkey1972"]

[/quote]

Seriously?

There was a game last Monday, not sure if you saw it?
[/quote]

Yes I was there

[/quote]

Yes, the goal was a mere flesh wound, Boro didn''t look hurt at all. [;)]

Bethnal, I see where you are coming from, but I''d just imagine clubs knowing we have £20m burning a hole in our wallet and a massive gap out wide, the fees, signing on fees, agents fees, all of it being massively inflated. We''d be lucky to end up with Bakary Sako or even Demari Gray for the same price when everything is considered.

Also, Redmond would be subject to compensation if he left on a free in two years time so we''d never get zilch for him. Danny Ings is off for £5m compo so I can see similar for Redmond.

Our record of spending big money isn''t great so unless we had some great deals already lined up (Say we could get Sakho and Gray in for £10m) then i''d rather we kept him at least until Jan. There will inevitably be some desperate teams ready to buy Redmond off us then. I''d also hold off offering him a new deal until we''ve had a chance to get off to a good start to the season, he''ll be more convinced then.

I just think it sends out the wrong message to get promoted then still sell your best players. Like if Bournemouth sold Callum Wilson.

Highland, the slight difference is that Liverpool are underachieving and haven''t got the Champions league football Sterling craves (and can get elsewhere), we on the other hand are on the up again and a year in the prem with us as a regular starter would do Redmond no harm at all. I appreciate he might aim higher than us eventually, but I don''t think he''d be chomping at the bit yet unless some stupid bid came in (£20m up front with add ons). Until that sort of money is talked about, it serves little purpose to get rid of him.

Compensation fee is calculated looking how long a player has been at the club. Ings has been at Burnley since he was 16 so they get a larger fee - Norwich, as a club who signed Redmond at 19 would get something considerably smaller than that.

Also, part of the compensation for Ings will go to Bounremouth, his first club - much of any compensation money for Redmond would end up at Birmingham.

I don''t think Norwich receiving £20m would have too much effect on the prices of replacement players - clubs assume Norwich have pots of cash due to the sheer fact they are in the Premier League.