Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Marney signs!

Right midfield was my biggest concern. Promotion guaranteed now.

Wish they''d bring in another decent central defender then i''d put money on them winning the Champ 10 points clear.

Bring em on !

Silly me! great news - My faith in our pulling power restored - nice that prem teams still recognise a well-run club & TEAM with proper footballing philosophy.Sorry I doubted you Alex.

this is fantastic news!

dont worry people, he is miles better than Bentley! and Consistant!
This is the type of player Norwich need to sign on a perminant deal. He can take people on, and has a much higher chance of scoring that Bentley. He has also set up more goals, far more than bentley.

This is a great signing, and as someone already said, promotion is now looking alot better.

Well done worthy, this is proof he is the right man for the job!

Absolutely brilliant, once again Worthy (all praise him) keeps us guessing and comes up trumps!!

Makes a change having some good news rather than us all whining on about Damo

Are you watching P***man Road, thats how to be one of the big guns and win a league!!!

[quote]where have you got this - I can''t find confirmation anywhere! I hope it''s true![/quote]

Um its on the pinkun website and on the Canaries website!!

What a signing! Well done Worthy!!! We now have a very strong squad indeed! Roll on Coventry!

Looks like a bit of astute business by Worthy !  but far too early to make  any remarks about his usefulness ..  dare I say it ?  its all about his attitude  and application , hopefully Marney will realise  that if he does the business for us , helps get  us in the prem , then he`s in the big time , with big clubs looking  in an interested way  at his record  ...

[quote]Looks like a bit of astute business by Worthy ! but far too early to make any remarks about his usefulness .. dare I say it ? its all about his attitude and application , hopefully Marney will re...[/quote]

Agreed. I dont think he is as talented as Bentley is, but from the sounds of it he is a much harder worker. And hopefully he wont take loads of 30 yard shots that go sailing over the bar every game!

If he can do it in the prem, he should be pretty damn good for us. Anyone got an idea of his comparative pace to our players?

Six signings to date - Jarrett, Thorne, Louis-Jean, Colin, Hughes and now Marney... one more, a central defender, and the summer''s work will be complete...

Well done, Worthy, I never doubted you!!

No your wrong, if Francis leaves the we need 2 more players. A quality midfielder to replace Francis and a central defender.

What i found a bit encouraging was listening to Roger Mumby on Talk Sport he told Parry that the squad was still a couple of players short of where we would want it to be. This was before the Francis to Wigan bid. So maybe Worthy will sign a CB, i hope so cos the i will be happy.

I wrote in one of my posts last week that........''I would be amazed if we got Marney now as he would probably go on loan to another Premiership club''. Wrong!

Yellow Rider always prides himself on giving praise whenever praise is due and although I am not a 100% Worthy fan, I hold my hands up to him this time. I HOPE this signing lives up to all the hype but remember we had all this (and more) last season with Bentley. On the face of it, well done the boy Worthy!  

Marney has had a good, solid FOOTBALLING education at Spurs. They have a long established tradition of bringing players up this way. Our history of success with Spur signings proves this (The Doc was NOT brought up at Spurs of course before anyone slags him off again). My concern though is that Marney has been farmed out on loan more than once before so that puts a question mark over whether he actually ''has what it takes''. But, at Championship level he may well flourish? 

Great news - seems he has limited experience but I trust he will do a good job for us - we have been missing a quality right winger for ages - with 1.5mil coming into the kitty soon - reckon a decent centre back and maybe one more midfielder will complete complete a good summers trading by Worthy...

I know I''m only new to the Pink''un Forum, but can''t help but think everyone is getting a little carried away with this signing. The guy has only made like 24 senior apperances, only ever scored in one match and yet some people are acting as though he is some kind of Messiah for Carrow Road.

Lets keep it in perspective, possibly a good addition to our squad. In fact a very welcome addition, but its going to be a long and very hard season.

[quote]No your wrong, if Francis leaves the we need 2 more players. A quality midfielder to replace Francis and a central defender. What i found a bit encouraging was listening to Roger Mumby on Talk Sport ...[/quote]

Well said Jimbo - we do need a bit more strength in depth but the signs are very encouraging.

And I agree with sheded - how marney turns out is very hard to say.   He needs to knuckle down (which bearing in mind he has already experienced loan life with swindon and gillingham this should be ok - alhough he didnt set the world alight there) and show us what he can do.

However please do not expect too much from him.  Yes he plays for a prem club and scored two good goals against spurs. However he has struggled to have a real impact at Spurs or uin his previous loans and, like bentley last season, this does not mean he will be able to perform at that level week in week out.  Like most youngsters he WILL be inconsistent and is unlikely to be the key to us being promoted - those players are the spine of the team, Green,  Shacks, Hux, Deano.

However he is a very good signing that strengthens the squad where it needs it most.  I have no doubt he will play a role in a good season particularly in our problematic right wing slot. (as an aside it strikes me that the right midfield slot has striking similarities with the defence against the dark arts job in the harry potter stories - no one really delivers a good job there and cant hold onto the position for more than a year; time for the hex to be removed?) 

OTBC

Sorry, I''m going to be the moaner here.  I think we need to be a little more realistic, Marney has played the majority of his senior football with Swindon, QPR and Gillingham and a few games at Spurs.  This does not make him a bad player by any means but I do think that statements saying that now he has signed we will definitely win the league are very bold.

I''m sure he may well turn out to be a good signing but don''t put him on a pedestal yet, he will have a long way to fall if he turns out not to be the player you are all building him up to be.

I really don''t know anything about him, but I''m just glad we''ve some competition in midfield now. I think he''ll be more of a success than Bentley was.

[quote]I know I''m only new to the Pink''un Forum, but can''t help but think everyone is getting a little carried away with this signing. The guy has only made like 24 senior apperances, only ever scored in one...[/quote]

Hi Scott, welcome to the board...

I think the reason everyone is getting excited is because he is an improvement to the right wing options - at the moment, we only really have Hendo, who''s ability I doubt (though MLJ put on a good show there in the second half against Inter). He gives our squad that little bit more depth and a few more options, and further attacking prowess - something we do not have with Hendo.

Plus, he did gain rave reviews during his recent run in the Spurs side, and only lost his place when the more senior players came back from injury.  And I don''t think there''s any shame in not setting the league alight whilst playing for teams of the quality of Gillingham/Swindon/QPR, as he would probably have spent much of his time on defensive duties! Lets not forget that Hucks failed to lift Man City before he came to us....

It also proves that this team is heading in the right direction, and is under the right management - even the Worthy bashers have this morning come out and praised him for this signing! That alone is something to get excited about...