Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

carrow Road. Away day experience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32975501 

1. Wigan Athletic 7.83 2. Derby County 7.82 3. Brighton & HA 7.69 4. Rotherham United 7.55 5. Cardiff City 7.40 6. Huddersfield Town 7.32 7. Reading 7.23 8. Fulham 6.86 9. Watford 6.86 10. Middlesbrough 6.74 11. Charlton Athletic 6.65 12. AFC Bournemouth 6.63 13. Blackburn Rovers 6.51 14. Millwall 6.50 15. Birmingham City 6.48 16. Nottingham Forest 6.35 17. Brentford 6.32 18. Bolton Wanderers 6.31 19. Ipswich Town 6.08 20. Wolves 5.70 21. Leeds United 5.28 22. Sheffield Wednesday 5.26 23. Norwich City 5.09 24. Blackpool 5.00  

I would have thought we would have been higher than that. We are even behind Millwall (and Ipswich for that matter.)

I suppose our prices are high and there is a long trip involved.

Communications to our ground are quite good though, as is the catering.The away fan''s accommodation is not at all bad and the home crowd are fairly benign. There are some very decent and friendly pubs en-route to the ground and the City speaks for it''s self.

Being a leading member of the plastic club, I have not been to Carrow Road for such a long time ** (do they still allow the disabled to park behind the Riverside goal? [:D]) though so I cannot really pass judgement on these findings, except to say that I am slightly surprised by them.   

A lot of the new stadia figure highly, but so does Craven Cottage. I was at the Fulham game last season and, although the ground is always spoken highly of, I didn''t like it. Being stuck partially behind a pole didn''t please me, neither did the smell of mothballs. If I go to a football ground I want to go to a football ground and not a World Heritage site. I suppose the ground does have a certain charm though.

The setting is great there though and the fans are friendly and an evening around Sloane Square is at hand for all ageing yuppies like me.

** Not true M'' Lud, not true.

I was surprised by this. I think that our ticket prices upset several Championship sides and is the main cause for our low position.

The ground, the excellent viewing position from the seating areas, catering and general friendliness of our fans should surely make us top three in this league.

This is a better understanding of the situation:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/premier-league/carrow-road-norwich-city-fc.html#awhat-is-it-like-for-away-fans

[quote user="Mutley"]I was surprised by this. I think that our ticket prices upset several Championship sides and is the main cause for our low position.

The ground, the excellent viewing position from the seating areas, catering and general friendliness of our fans should surely make us top three in this league.[/quote]Agree re price. Its the same as Premier league fans moaning about the prices at the likes of Chelsea etc.Most fans I have talked to have enjoyed their away experience at Carrow road.

"52% said distance of travel", we''re a long way from everywhere.

When talking about travel I was told by a very old Norfolk resident that the roads to Norfolk were deliberately bad, not to keep us from travelling away but to keep the furriners from travelling in!

It is all about the little things. A welcoming atmosphere is not what away fans get when they come to Norwich.  There is no announcement saying welcome to away fans at any stage beforehand, their team is not mentioned when they come on the pitch.  We want to be seen as a friendly club, but the combination of ticket prices, distance to travel from places, lack of any sort of acknowedgement on the day,  the fact there is a gap at that end of the stadium meaning the fans at that end feel a little cut off from the atmosphere (I''ve stood in the lower barclay near that corner and the gap definitely makes a difference to the noise levels felt there, imho). 

You can''t do anything about the distances travelled, or in the short term, the hotel corner, but what you can do is improve the welcome to away fans, not least  in recognition of the distance they have travelled.   I know not all clubs offer a welcome to away fans, but the ones that do will get appreciation from me and the ones that arrogantly (imo) ignore the away fans, will be remembered.   This is not club bashing, this is rational criticism. If someone travelled 100, 200+ miles to visit your premises, you would at least acknowldge them.  We always used to. Why would we have stopped doing it?  

I''m surprised we''re near the bottom, but the above, plus the pricing of tickets all come in to it imo.  Shame, we should be near the top of that league.   Something I hope the club take note of.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I liked the Wolves fan comments about a 4 hour journey being onerous!

Bless[/quote]

Do they want us to ground share with Wealsall !

Could it be the fact that people hate coming to Norwich beacause the lost? And lost badly.. Surely results have to have an impact on how a fan feels at the end of an away trip?

[quote user="OzzieBudgie"]Could it be the fact that people hate coming to Norwich beacause the lost? And lost badly.. Surely results have to have an impact on how a fan feels at the end of an away trip?[/quote]

*They

[quote user="OzzieBudgie"]Could it be the fact that people hate coming to Norwich beacause the lost? And lost badly.. Surely results have to have an impact on how a fan feels at the end of an away trip?[/quote]Good point, away days are definitely more fun when you win!

Think that you are being a bit harsh on the club LDC but do think that you have a point about welcoming the away fans who almost invariably will have travelled a long distance to us.

I know that I always personally pick up on any PA welcome to away fans when I hear it said at away games and appreciate the gesture.

Our home record wasn''t amazing this season though considering our league position

Looking at that list , and considering the games I enjoyed, I realise that distance really isn''t an issue. Or maybe we just get used to it.Particularly enjoyed Bolton, Brighton and Blackpool this season, no alliteration intended.

[quote user="Mutley"]Our home record wasn''t amazing this season though considering our league position[/quote]

This is just a inference but surely the teams that bring the most fans are the ones who have the greatest chance of winning, so the teams at the top if the league. The teams we did the best against so the majority if fans will have had a poor result against us unlike Wigan who I chat remember exactly but doubt the bought plenty of fans in a midweek game. Just a thought but probably wrong on my part

[quote user="Mutley"]Our home record wasn''t amazing this season though considering our league position[/quote]

This is just a inference but surely the teams that bring the most fans are the ones who have the greatest chance of winning, so the teams at the top if the league. The teams we did the best against so the majority if fans will have had a poor result against us unlike Wigan who I chat remember exactly but doubt the bought plenty of fans in a midweek game. Just a thought but probably wrong on my part

Well according to the article, price and distance were the key issues ("time of kick off" presumably not that big a deal in the Champ unlike the Prem). So we''d be more expensive, and a relatively long trip from most places - not hard to see why we''re down the bottom.

Actually, wouldn''t we prefer it that away fans don''t enjoy visiting CR ?

Well , I enjoyed going to the away games at Poorman rd this season...didn''t need any welcoming :-)

Length of journey was never an issue before we started charging most teams disgustingly high ticket prices. That is why we are where we are in this league. As an awayday, many elements of going to Carrow Road are in my view much better than most of the teams finishing above us (lots of away fan friendly pubs, decent stand, pleasant home fans etc). Because of this we are known amongst many (especially the London clubs) as one of the favourite away days. This will be mainly about prices. Its no coincidence that since we''ve started ripping off away fans the numbers coming to Carrow Road have dropped dramatically.

Back in the prem, with ticket revenues being a drop in the ocean, I really hope the club looks at the ticket prices for away and casual fans and stops being so greedy.

Brilliant! That''s a fantastic result for us.
All jokes aside, if we''re making away fans miserable coming here, then fantastic! Any little advantage we can get i''m happy with, and if fans are tired and grumpy by the time they get to Carrow Road, only to find one of us chewing on some corn and spitting at them, finding out there''s no pie''s left when they get in the ground, and decide to sit in a grump all game rather than get behind their team, i''m all for it!
Let''s try and finish last next season!

[quote user="hogesar"]Brilliant! That''s a fantastic result for us.
All jokes aside, if we''re making away fans miserable coming here, then fantastic! Any little advantage we can get i''m happy with, and if fans are tired and grumpy by the time they get to Carrow Road, only to find one of us chewing on some corn and spitting at them, finding out there''s no pie''s left when they get in the ground, and decide to sit in a grump all game rather than get behind their team, i''m all for it!
Let''s try and finish last next season!

[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)][:)]

Thinking about it, visiting fans are not particularly cost efficient. More policing and stewarding, damages to contend with and I would guess they actually spend less in the ground.

On the plus side, they can fill the local pubs and spend money in the City.

LDC believes the club should be more welcoming to our visitors. I would want them put in a cage in front of the hotel, thrown dated Delia pies at half time and made to hose down their own pee at full time.  (just a jest, not a good jest, but a jest nevertheless.)

We surely don''t want to be to welcoming, do we ? get a reputation for being all hospitable and more will want to come, resulting in them generating a better atmosphere and sneaking off to their inner city slums with 3 points in the back pocket, AND would mean less seats for priority members who want to come occasionally ?

I don''t see how Fulham can possibly be rated higher than us as an away day experience. The last two times I have been we have been beaten six-nil and five-nil. What could be a worse way day experience than that?

Based purely on cost of entry, basicness and price of food and very limited to anywhere you can actually go in the city as an away fan - I think we are lucky to be up as high as we are. Some of the prices we have charged away fans this year have been ridiculous and the pies are anything but enjoyable.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]We surely don''t want to be to welcoming, do we ? get a reputation for being all hospitable and more will want to come, resulting in them generating a better atmosphere and sneaking off to their inner city slums with 3 points in the back pocket, AND would mean less seats for priority members who want to come occasionally ?[/quote]

A welcome is a gesture of welcome to the visiting fans, not an invitation to take three points - and there is a limit as to how many can come......   I used to take pride in our club when we welcomed visitors to CR, we are supposed to be a friendly club, after all. I don''t know when it stopped - and it maybe a small thing -  but as Multley indicated earlier, fans do notice these things.  

Word on the street is that Ipswich are going to put another star on their top, for finishing above us in this.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]We surely don''t want to be to welcoming, do we ? get a reputation for being all hospitable and more will want to come, resulting in them generating a better atmosphere and sneaking off to their inner city slums with 3 points in the back pocket, AND would mean less seats for priority members who want to come occasionally ?[/quote]

A welcome is a gesture of welcome to the visiting fans, not an invitation to take three points - and there is a limit as to how many can come......   I used to take pride in our club when we welcomed visitors to CR, we are supposed to be a friendly club, after all. I don''t know when it stopped - and it maybe a small thing -  but as Multley indicated earlier, fans do notice these things.  

[/quote]

I don''t know about you Lakey, if I meet and talk with visiting fans at CR, I am always politely mannered and do or say nothing to disrepute the fine city or our club, when I go away I don''t care about signs that say thanks for travelling xxx miles to see us today, or kiosk staff in silly NCFC T Shirts or baseball caps, all I care about is us winning, when we lose (doesn''t happen away now) I hate the place, simple as that really.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Lessingham Canary"]We surely don''t want to be to welcoming, do we ? get a reputation for being all hospitable and more will want to come, resulting in them generating a better atmosphere and sneaking off to their inner city slums with 3 points in the back pocket, AND would mean less seats for priority members who want to come occasionally ?[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know about you Lakey, if I meet and talk with visiting fans at CR, I am always politely mannered and do or say nothing to disrepute the fine city or our club, when I go away I don''t care about signs that say thanks for travelling xxx miles to see us today, or kiosk staff in silly NCFC T Shirts or baseball caps, all I care about is us winning, when we lose (doesn''t happen away now) I hate the place, simple as that really.[/quote]

We''ve all been to clubs where it is hostile the moment you step in the ground.  Sheffield Utd under Warnock was one of those.  I would hate to belong to a football club that treated visitors badly.  Football is supposed to be a sport and there is an onus on the club imo, that should respect and publicly welcome visiting clubs.  It is disrespectful that only our team is introduced as both teams come on to the pitch.