Sign in to follow this  
TheTetteyRole

Dimitar Berbatov

Okay, okay, before you blast me, I know this is unrealistic but he is on a free transfer, has said he would like a return to England and did play for an at best mid table Fulham side. Certainly proven.

No doubting his ability, but not convinced he showed much desire when at Fulham, almost like he felt he was too big for them ? might be I am wrong, anyone else see that side of him?

I raised this yesterday, and yeah, I think his missus and kids still live in London so he wants to come back to the Premier League.I''d have to say no because his wages would be high, I''m not sure if he''ll fit into the team ethic, and would he really have the hunger any more?However, if we fancied a marquee signing, we could do worse. His quality is not in question and it isn''t like he had any pace or mobility to lose.But I''m still saying no.

I understand your point, but not many of fulhams squad having sustained a Manchester United team place. If that''s a problem though, leave him out. Don''t need any non-determined players.

The semi-comatose footballer that is Dimitar Berbatov would not last five minutes in an AN squad.   May have some resemblance to the footballer he once was, but fitness, desire and workrate would all go against him, all major requirements in AN''s footballing philosophy.

One of the most technically gifted players I have seen and the scorer of some of the most sublime goals I have seen as well. But as has been pointed out, also the laziest player that will need the rest of the team to be prepared to carry him. A luxury player. Can we ''afford'' him?

I like him a lot, always have. Perhaps it''s my penchant for the mavericks in the game.

Highly talented with the ability to change a game in the blink of an eye. He would probably be the most technically gifted player ever to wear the yellow, if signed.

His scoring record at Old Trafford was nearly one in every two games. Monaco, one in three. many gems there too, I would guess

At thirty four he would be perfectly capable of a swansong, and he may even have mellowed a bit, although his work rate will likely be even less impressive. His reasons for wanting a return to the PL seem genuine and not financially motivated. He gives the impression that he would relish the chance. (Daily Mail interview.)

Not an Alex Neil player, but I wouldn''t say no to some short term deal, or even a pay as you play arrangement.

His name would certainly put us on the map and indicate our return to the big time. We cannot have a team composed entirely of hard working, highly committed players. We need a bit of flair, Wes and Nathan excepted.

If he''s good enough for Alex Ferguson, he''s good enough for me. Bite the bullet McN, it will make a big statement. He would excite the stands, that''s for sure.

I doubt he''ll appeal to Alex Neil.

Failing that, is that Quagliarella chap still available?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I like him a lot, always have. Perhaps it''s my penchant for the mavericks in the game.

Highly talented with the ability to change a game in the blink of an eye. He would probably be the most technically gifted player ever to wear the yellow, if signed.

His scoring record at Old Trafford was nearly one in every two games. Monaco, one in three. many gems there too, I would guess

At thirty four he would be perfectly capable of a swansong, and he may even have mellowed a bit, although his work rate will likely be even less impressive. His reasons for wanting a return to the PL seem genuine and not financially motivated. He gives the impression that he would relish the chance. (Daily Mail interview.)

Not an Alex Neil player, but I wouldn''t say no to some short term deal, or even a pay as you play arrangement.

His name would certainly put us on the map and indicate our return to the big time. We cannot have a team composed entirely of hard working, highly committed players. We need a bit of flair, Wes and Nathan excepted.

If he''s good enough for Alex Ferguson, he''s good enough for me. Bite the bullet McN, it will make a big statement. He would excite the stands, that''s for sure.

I doubt he''ll appeal to Alex Neil.

Failing that, is that Quagliarella chap still available?

[/quote]

Read my mind. Simply strickers are too boring and flair is always good to add.

Plus, it''s fucking BERBATOV! If we had the option to sign him for a season and don''t think we would be granted the right to abstain.

Quagliarella signed for Torino and, from what I have heard, had a decent-ish season and is likely to stay. Maybe France would be a better place to look than Italy though.

No way as far as I am concerned - even if he came on a free AND played without wages.I cannot imagine how a move like this would have any sort of positive effect upon the team ethic and cohesion at NCFC.

He would have been a great signing under Houghton as whenever we parked the bus, he could have stayed aboard and slept.
I would rather have RvW up front than Dimitar Berbatov.

[quote user="GJP"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpRQcP_d-E

[/quote]

Great clip;   highlights both his simply outrageous talent and his desire to not move if at all possible...

I see Leicester are interested in the 34 yo maestro - although given his family at reputedly london based I am sure he fancies QPR most of all.

Would jump at the chance to sign Berbatov, mainly because I think he''s a complete class player that many fans fail to realise exactly how talented he is, which makes things look easy and simple and thus brings about accusations of laziness.There aren''t many balls that you can play into him, that he can''t control instantly and then provide the next killer ball to an approaching teammate, his finishing is excellent and he enjoys making assists and being valued as a team player just as much as he does scoring.He''s scored consistently well at pretty much every club he''s ever been at, is more than proven at this level, and on a good deal would be a brilliant ''marquee'' signing for the short term (so max 2 year deal).

Well said Indy.

The impression I get is that most on here would prefer a safety first, risk-free approach to the transfer market, with no big money Wolfswinkles on the shopping list.

I agree with this but it can''t all be precautionary stuff.  We need to take at least a bit of a risk somewhere along the line.

There has to be, IMO, some element of the daring involved and this genius represents just that. What an uplifting signing it would be, and there is no indication whatsoever that Berbatov would upset the apple-cart that Alex Neil is carefully assembling. He might well enhance it. He is making all the right noises.

We need some variation from the norm and we need a spark to light up a performance that might not be going well.

We need the highest possible profile on MotD and in the media in general. We need even more envy emanating from Portman Road.

We need a really big name, and they don''t come much bigger.

I might well be over-egging the cake here, but so is talk of sofas being placed in the opposition penalty area, with respect.

If he doesn''t fit into the ethic of the squad, AN won''t play him, simple as. On a one-year deal with an option of an extra year, why not? Having a player like him in the dressing room would inspire the younger players, and he can hold the ball up better than any of our other strikers, and has a phenomenal first touch and great shooting technique. In his prime he was worth £30m, and he''s still got the same footballing brain he had then. On a free, why not? Even if we paid him £50k a week, that''s £2.5m for a world-class striker for a season. Even if he''s a complete flop, he''d be a less expensive one than RvW, and we wouldn''t be lumbered with him on a long-term contract.

At his time in Monaco Berba actually started pulling his weight a little - the Champions'' League games against Arsenal showed he was prepared to close down centre-backs or track back.

Doubt he could command much in the way of wages anymore and could be a reasonable alternative for Norwich off the bench.

Not that this transfer would ever happen - I suspect Dimi will look for a London club first and if none are forth coming he''ll consider quality of life over quality of club. A lucrative season in MLS probably on the cards for him.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]There''s more chance of me playing up front for Norwich next season than Dimitar Berbatov.[/quote]Hi, Fabio Quagliarella. [:)]

[quote user="TheTetteyRole"]Okay, okay, before you blast me, I know this is unrealistic but he is on a free transfer, has said he would like a return to England and did play for an at best mid table Fulham side. Certainly proven.[/quote]

He''d be our Finidi George...

we need a team who give all give 100 per cent - not show ponies

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Well said Indy.

The impression I get is that most on here would prefer a safety first, risk-free approach to the transfer market, with no big money Wolfswinkles on the shopping list.

I agree with this but it can''t all be precautionary stuff.  We need to take at least a bit of a risk somewhere along the line.

There has to be, IMO, some element of the daring involved and this genius represents just that. What an uplifting signing it would be, and there is no indication whatsoever that Berbatov would upset the apple-cart that Alex Neil is carefully assembling. He might well enhance it. He is making all the right noises.

We need some variation from the norm and we need a spark to light up a performance that might not be going well.

We need the highest possible profile on MotD and in the media in general. We need even more envy emanating from Portman Road.

We need a really big name, and they don''t come much bigger.

I might well be over-egging the cake here, but so is talk of sofas being placed in the opposition penalty area, with respect.

[/quote]I remember people moaning about Chris Martin and Steve Morison being lazy even when they were scoring goals. They''d lterally explode with rage if we sign Berbatov. Sign him up[;)]

P.s. I completely disagree with your first two sentences. Taking a risky approach to signings is fine, but a 34 year old who made zero effort the last team he played for in the Premiership?

[quote user="Herman "]

I remember people moaning about Chris Martin and Steve Morison being lazy even when they were scoring goals. They''d lterally explode with rage if we sign Berbatov. Sign him up[;)][/quote]Yes, I like this line of reasoning - I''m changing my vote - sign him up from me too!

Berba was on 300 k euro monthly in Monaco and this is the main reason they to not offer him new deal.If we try play fast transition to attack never can be used.

SO much money for us + not AN sort of player imo.

I was keen on him a couple of years ago but at 34 he is just a little to old - and he remains older than Elmander  - as he was two years ago,   and almost certainly still more talented. 

Mind you a mix of Elmanders effort and Berbatovs ability would have been immense

The only thing that link Elmander and Berbatov is the continent of Europe. The wage is a problem, with only clubs like Fulham being able to fund it. I''m glad people actually took my first post seriously though because, as mentioned before combing a number of reasons, it is very unlike to see him here next season. Gives me a lot more joy than the premise of Bobby Zamora...

I don''t think this is remotely realistic, but couldn''t he do a job in the Hoolahan role?