Worthy has done well. Shifted Helveg and Jonson off the wage bill, brought in proven championship performers for next to nothing. Also kept Ashton and probably green, lucky also that McVeigh hasn''t found a club. Only problem looks like a partner for Shackell. I think he may persevere with Flem too long and Doherty is thinner, but still useless.

Leeds, Wolves and Palace will be a threat, but otherwise looking good. We''ll need to be top 3 by christmas though or Deano will be off to the Premiership in the window.

Ipswich an outside bet for relegation? Lost half their team in the summer, they may be due a struggle...

I would''nt write off Ipswich. Most NCFC fans appear to be doing so, but i think an injury crisis aside that they will do well.

The summer dealings have been very successful - compared to any other team we have signed a consistent amount of potential and quality for this level of football without spending the earth.  At the same time we have acually lowered (I think) the average age of the squad.   I would not swap our squad for any one elses.

However I do feel that we are still slightly short in numbers/cover particularly in midfield.  Playing people out of position (Hendo and Charlie) is not a solution and allowing for injuries and suspensions means we will be stretched just as winter hits.

But overall I am ready for the season - roll on coventry...

OTBC

On paper Worthy has appeared to have done well in the close season, however I will reserve judgement on each player till they have played a few games for us.

A bit more depth in key areas would be good.  Another body in midfield please Worthy.

[quote]On paper Worthy has appeared to have done well in the close season, however I will reserve judgement on each player till they have played a few games for us. A bit more depth in key areas would be go...[/quote]

Another body in midfield depends entirely on if Francis leaves... With Portsmouth seemingly withdrawing interest, and only Wigan having made a suitable offer - and with the high likelihood that he''ll be back to square one in a year, whilst we''re back in the Prem - I''m beginning to wonder whether there may be a "I''m staying" statement coming soon...

In which case, we''ll have Marney, Francis, Jarrett, Safri, Hughes, Hucks, McVeigh and Hendo - two for each position, and two decent players at that (Hendo aside, though he can do a job). And that''s not including Charlton, heh!

Mixed bag really. Colin looks like an excellent buy at the price, and Jarrett even more. For the rest time will tell. Marney has played so few games, and how he will fare on a continuous basis remains to be sen. Thorne will probably be able to do a back-up job. L.J is slightly worrying. Hughes is a puzzle. What is his purpose, apart from cutting a few off at the legs?

But the list does seem to be an improvemen,compared with those who have left, so we have to be optimistic. If the rather disruptive influence of Francis ends and he is replaced with someone of equal stature, then we would have to say, "By and large a good summer''s work by the Management!"

[quote]Mixed bag really. Colin looks like an excellent buy at the price, and Jarrett even more. For the rest time will tell. Marney has played so few games, and how he will fare on a continuous basis remains...[/quote]

I agree about MLJ - he looked better at right midfield than he did in defence against Inter and his failed pass back was awful! Colin looked a much better prospect - he looked calm under pressure and seemed to have time on the ball!

Hughes is a bit of a puzzle but hopefully when he''s settled in a bit and upped his fitness he will come good - he must have something about him for prem clubs to have been interested in the past!