Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Wembley stories

Good thread LDC and thanks to the others who have contributed.

I ended up taking the train down from my holiday in the Lake District.

Nice early start catching the 6:44 from Windermere and a couple of changes before connecting with the train from Preston to London.

Had a chat with another City fan on the train and shared a joke or two with some friendly ''Boro fans.

I got to Wembley and tried to meet up with some mates in one of the pubs allocated to us, but they were all full to bursting and I decided to soak up the atmosphere on Wembley way instead.

I met up with my Brother, nephew and niece as we had seats together in block 509.

The first 20 minutes of the match could not have really gone any better for us and I was immensely proud of the way the team were playing. I expected the second half to drag, but it seemed to fly by and when Mike Dean booked Vossen for diving I was confident that it was going to be our day.

I stayed for most of the celebrations, but then had to get back to London Euston for the last train home.

I had booked first class and had most of the carriage to myself. I missed having other City fans to share the experinces of the day with, but at the same time it was lovely to savour the journey home as we passed endless fields of yellow and green as I drank a couple of beers.

My best day out in over 40 years of supporting the Canaries.

OTBC!

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]Good thread LDC and thanks to the others who have contributed.

I ended up taking the train down from my holiday in the Lake District.[/quote]

Thanks, some really good stories to enjoy. It was good the trains were running normally after all.  I drove down on Monday morning, from Manchester, leaving at silly o''clock determined not to be late or caught in traffic.  Parked in Ickenham as suggested by a poster on here (thanks, danny808 [:)] ) and it was ideal as I suspect most people were travelling from the other direction and the tube was reasonably quiet.  The match was of course just fantastic and stayed right till the end of all the celebrations, great to see such unbridled joy for so many, especially good to see Delia and MWJ  get involved too.  Afterwards caught the tube back with no bother at all and no queues to speak of and then off down to Bournemouth same evening to see relatives.  Saw some miserable looking Boro fans at Fleet services on the M3, maybe they had taken a wrong turning......  

The timing of the match couldn''t have been better for me, as I was planning to go down to Bn''mth anyway that week, so thanks for getting to the final and winning it NCFC! You''ve no idea how it made that week go with a swing.  Just brilliant.

I was working until midnight the night before and ended up staying in my mates apartment above the pub (where I work in Cornwall) and probably got to bed at gone half 1. Got up at 5 and left in the car at about 6 with my mate (who''s a united fan but has always wanted to go to a play off or cup final). Passed a few stay Norwich fans on the way up pulled alongside a few of them honking, cheering and waving when the roads were clear. Drove up to my mates colleagues house in Wycombe. He was a Preston fan and had been the match the night before and so was obviously still buzzing, we dropped our stuff off and went to the train station in Beaconsfield.

At the train station we met a few supporters of both teams and exchanges in some friendly chat. When we got of the train we were on the West ide of Wembley and greeted by a sea of red and go a little bit of stick from the Boro fans whilst heading towards the green and yellow in the distance. We saw Wembley way and the arch which was great then went into Crystals for a few beers. 4 tinnies for a tenner and no queues was great. What was even better was while there we stuck on a few bets on including 2 quid on.....Norwich to win 2-0 with Jerome to score first at....48/1. GET IN.

I guess my memories of the game are similar to the rest of yours a lot of screaming, shouting, cheering and singing. Oh and a lot of thinking "holy fuckin shit this place is fuckin huuuuuuge." one thing I do however remember is jumping up and down hugging the random bloke next to me after Redmond''s beautifully worked goal. After the game finished and the celebrations from the players done we waited for the stadium to clear out and we back to my mates colleagues had some lasagne and I fell asleep on the sofa watching the game rerecord of the game.

Any way now Norwich are now my mates second team and winning the bet, the cheap booze and the free accommodation made our day out cheaper than a night in the pub.

All that and getting to see the greatest team in the world, at one of the best stadiums in the world, score one of the greatest goals in the world to get into the best league in the world.

COYY!!!!

[quote user="Jarders"]All that and getting to see the greatest team in the world, at one of the best stadiums in the world, score one of the greatest goals in the world to get into the best league in the world.

COYY!!!![/quote]Perfect!Good thread - well done OP.

Loved that vid from high up in the second post LDC. Really got another perspective of that goal. Missed how deep Redmond had anticipated that pass from Whitts.

As for videoing stuff at a game. You do realise that you don''t have to have your eye to the lens these days right? I could literally video the whole game on a camera and still watch the whole thing if I wanted to.

What does get me is when people do it on a fricking giant Ipad! That''s just ridiculous and disrespectful to the people behind you.

Sadly (?!?) I watched it again over the weekend and seeing how well we played, particularly the first 20 mins or so.

When I watched the goals go in it reminded me of the atmosphere around me and forgetting myself by trying to lift my 13 up (been a goalscoring ritual since he as about 5) and realising he''s now nearly as tall as me and is blooming heavy!

The noise when Redmond scored the second still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and will do for a long time.

Not sure it can be beaten, having lost before and felt the other side, just made it all the more special

Yep I watched it again too Rich T, it''s really good to watch the celebrations at the end and AN reaction.

Everytime I watch it I see something new, fantastic.😄

Yeah, not sure I''ll ever tire from watching it.

The look that AN gives the Middlebrough fans when Redmond scores and the one he gives Tettey in the 80 something minute when he plays a pass out rather than sticking the ball in the corner is enough to make a grown man cry!?!

The huge swarm of City fans gathered outside the Crock of Gold chanting ''YELLOWS, YELLOWS'' at a little yellow car trying to get through the crowd was very comical.

Agreed Rich T, it''s the noise we made as Redmond''s goal went in, that seems to be THE moment (out of 100s!) of the day, for me.

Absolutely freekin mind blowing

being the only Norwich fan in some Welsh Village pub and going batSh*t when Redmond scored.... Wembley might even have heard me!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]being the only Norwich fan in some Welsh Village pub and going batSh*t when Redmond scored.... Wembley might even have heard me![/quote]The only canary in the village...

Thanks for starting this LDC.

Just reading through this brings it all back and lessens the pain of seeing my credit card statement!

Many of the UAE Canaries traveled to the match from Dubai and it was great meeting up with some of them for pre and post match drinks, and by coincidence at the same hotel the players were staying at, so plenty of photo opportunities.

Many great memories from the trip, but a couple of things that stuck out for me...

Seeing the players in the Hotel before the match and thinking how calm and collected they appeared.

That first 20 minutes......probably the best any City team has started a big match, and probably one of the best 20 minutes from any side at a Wembley final......absolute class...so proud!

When we had our ''Final replayed'' night in the other night, we were commenting on the players in the tunnel, before coming out, and could see a difference in the body language of our guys to the Boro players, and we said we just looked ''on it''.

AN had done a great prep job with them

Some nut-head has just climbed to the very top of Wembley Stadium.

Rumour has it that it''s a p-ssed up City supporter still celebrating our win there.