Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Wembley stories

Two weeks on and still buzzing from it, we all have different stories, so I wondered if  it is worth putting some on here. What was your experience of that day?  I travelled in from the west and it was great to see canary scarves hanging out of car windows - even though I was jeered and gesticulated at by a the occupants of a car flying red scarves.  Coming down from Norwich must have been something else. 

Afterwards what I saw from Boro fans was not so pleasant, saw one being carted away by the police for trying to throw something at Norwich fans as he confronted us as we walked back towards Wembley Way and on the tube I was stuck beside one of a group of Boro fans who was plainly well peed off that they had lost - fortunately his mates seemed to be keeping an eye on him and keeping him out of trouble. 

Did anyone stay on and celebrate in London?  How were the trips home?   Plenty of partying near Wembley afterwards.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2OYiHwIVaYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaUwbWQhmLQ   This Boro one made me smile.   Great son of Norfolk starts and finishes this video.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkRJIzjCi_8[:D]

Once upon a time some people from Norwich went to London to see a big football game against some other people, who weren''t playing in blue and white, the people from Norwich won and they all went home and were happy, the end.

Do I win a prize?

Thanks for putting them up, but the one on your second post ''fans eye'' , I just can''t help feeling that the guy/gal missed out really, by videoing the match. Nothing wrong in trying to capture the fans in celebration, but I struggle to see how videoing the match on their phone enhanced the day?

Why not ''tape'' the game, and enjoy/embrace the day through your own eyes as opposed to through a small screen, after they had gone to all the trouble and expense of getting there in the first place? Especially as we got plenty of shots of the lad in fronts dandruff!

Love the last video you posted as shot from the same block as me and really took me back to those moments.

From catching the coach with lots of tired looking city fans, to wondering where our driver was going when he came off the A11 at Duxford, to admiring the Wembley arch and ''way'', to getting a selfie with Adam ''how did he ever play football with those legs'' Drury, to pre match drinks and meeting with friends, then into the stadium to watch the annoyingly talented under 11s before the game, to Jerome wondering what to do and resorting to just putting the ball into the net, to one of the best team goals you''ll see with a touch and strike at the end of it to grace any stage, to the tension of seeing the rest of the game out, to the relief and ecstasy at the final whistle, to the celebrations with friends and strangers alike and to the long but wonderful coach journey home.

Simply the best footballing day I''ve ever had. Awesome.

It''s the curse of the youtube generation. Too many people seem to think that we want to watch their shaky videos of games/gigs. Take a quick snap/video by all means, but then put the phone in your pocket and enjoy the whole occasion. (Sorry, bit of a bugbear of mine.)Anyway, The Torch looked a good crack. I take it getting served was a doddle?!

[quote user="Herman "]It''s the curse of the youtube generation. Too many people seem to think that we want to watch their shaky videos of games/gigs. Take a quick snap/video by all means, but then put the phone in your pocket and enjoy the whole occasion. (Sorry, bit of a bugbear of mine.)Anyway, The Torch looked a good crack. I take it getting served was a doddle?![/quote]Have to agree Herman.Had expensive holidays and outings spoiled by the numerous people with video cameras and camera phones getting in the way and expecting others to move round them. I now ignore people that are videoing, I walk in front instead of around them, f### em.Take a few snaps or a short video but enjoy the occasion through your own eyes and be a part of it.

It''s everywhere now - sporting finals, concerts - it will get to the point where a band will finish a gig or a tennis player will win a grand slam and all they will see is a sea of smartphones and camcorders and all they will hear is everyone behind the cameras shushing each other to be quiet so they don''t spoil a Facebook or You Tube clip to prove to the world that they were there.
Social media and technology products are trying (and largely succeeding) in making us all believe we are all leading fascinating lives with opinions that matter and stories worth listening to.  All they are doing is dropping us all down a bottomless well of narcissism and emptying our wallets for us on the way. 
I mean, it''s awful that there are earthquakes in Nepal and Islamic State seem like a nasty bunch, but I can''t get involved in any of that right now as I''m busy cropping my photos from a barbecue at the Earlham Arms so I can show everyone my great weekend.

I went down with my other half and my mate and his mrs. We''d booked a hotel near Canary Wharf, had a quick and trouble free journey down, and took the DLR/Tube to Picadilly. My wife and my mates wife headed towards the shops, my mate and I (naturally) popped into the first pub for the first of many that day.

We then headed towards Wembley Park on the underground in a carriage that was probably half and half Norwich/Boro fans and plenty of good natured chanting at each other. One particular favourite of mine was the "your grounds to big for you, your grounds to big for you" which was warmly received by the Boro contingent. Their response was six fingers and brother sister related chants...

Got to Wembley and soaked up the atmosphere on Wembley Way with a cheeky vodka or two, then we headed to the Sports Bar which I thought had another great atmosphere. Had a few out the back before wandering back to the stadium, and finally to our seats. Obviously we all know the result, and I shouted so much I lost most of my voice for most of the night and the next day.

Afterwards we headed back to the city and had a few more drinks. Met the other half''s and finished the night with a nice curry. To top off a day I didn''t think could get any better, when we checked into the hotel later that night, they very kindly upgraded us free of charge to the penthouse suites...

Best footballing day ever!

Simply the best day (football wise) ever, it started by getting up really early as our house was up at 5.00am and excited by the prospect of what lay ahead.

We were going to leave at 9.00am to drive down, with a parking space booked in advance (worked perfectly) with just park.com, but as everyone was ready (4 of us in the car, and meeting my son and his new wife, who is in the army there.

Then it was coach after coach, all shapes and sizes, school buses, double deckers, hire vans, and streams of cars, all the way down the A11all decked out in yellow and green, amazing scenes and just took the excitement and anticipation levels through the roof.

Parked up at 11.00 and walked up Wembley way, hundreds of fans of both clubs already there, first coaches already parking up in the park, the stadium looked immense, with the NCFC crest there for all to see, mixture of nerves and tension building, but more confident that we could win than probably expected at that stage, we were in the Bobby Moore Club, as only way i could get 6 seats together, so in at 12.00 for a meal that came as part of the package, bumped into a certain Mr Drury who was very confident we would win, great man !

After a bite to eat saw Stan Collymore whose commentary box was just behind our seats, asked him for a forecast, he thought we would win, asked what i thought of Alex Neil, told him, " football genus", he smiled and said seems to have it all. wished us good luck.

Back inside for another glass or 2, was all so real now, and so close, the site of the stadium filling, and a wall of yellow from our seats all the way round to opposite was amazing, just felt so lucky and suddenly the £300 seats seemed like money well spent, anyway the wife''s car will last another year !

When the teams emerged for the opening ceremonies our boys just looked different class, in their new tracksuit tops, lining up to greet the dignitaries, could have been the champions league final and would not have been any more impressive.

Then the game got underway, and within the 1st 5 minutes i thought "what has Alex Neil done to our players?" there were no nerves anywhere, all looked comfortable on the ball, what a start !

Then it was Bang, 1-0 Cameron sent us into raptures, and wow what a start, just getting our breath back and Bang Nathan finishes a wonderful team move with a sublime finish and we were 2 up in 13 minutes, thought for a minute was dreaming, but not this time, not this special day.

Rest of the game was as comfortable as could ever have wished and we looked like we could step and score again if needed to.

Managed to give Russ Martin my scarf as he led the players down with the cup, told him to look after it as it had been to every game this season (not sure he listened, as he threw it into the crowd as they left the pitch at the very end), then when the lads got back on the pitch we saw Bassong jump into the crowd, crazy crazy celebrations, never forget it.

Back into the Bobby Moore for refreshing drinks to rehydrate before the drive home,mix of Boro fans in there, and they were very complimentary on our performance and good in defeat.

One thing i did see that i didn''t like (and have video back up, yes on my phone!!) was as we left the players were down stairs in the players lounge with their families and we saw George friend who was genuinely gutted, but Patrick Bamford was laughing and joking with a beer, and when my son called his name he gave us a thumbs up and laughed, the boro fans around us were less than impressed.

Then it was the drive home, To be honest it was a blur as we relived every moment in the car on the way back to the kingdom of Lessingham.

What a day, what a memory will stay with us forever, because we were there and no one can ever take that away ! CTID

Vindo

"Afterwards we headed back to the city and had a few more drinks. Met the other half''s and finished the night with a nice curry. To top off a day I didn''t think could get any better, when we checked into the hotel later that night, they very kindly upgraded us free of charge to the penthouse suites."

Sounds like all that was missing was a blow job!

Or maybe it wasn''t!

Lol Cohiba, ahem, a gentleman never tells.......

....luckily that doesn''t apply here, so....

All joking aside, simply a weekend I will never ever forget...

When I got on the Tube train on the way to the ground I was treated to a prime example of lovable Cockney wit. "You could have flown there" said a man opposite me. I swear my sides were atill aching when I got off at Wembley Park. But just in case I hadn''t understood the "joke" he kindly repeated it.

One other bit Mrs Lessingham reminded me off, was the amount of people who cam out onto the bridges and roundabouts on the A11 on the way home, stood there with their scarves etc waving at the coaches and cars on their return to Norfolk, can only imagine they would love to have been their but watched it on TV and then came out to wave those lucky enough to have been there home.

Anyone else see them ?

Driving down the A11 overtook a minibus with two blow up dolls tied to the back one had Delia''s face the other Stephen Fry''s. Seemed everybody was taking photos as they went past, anybody got one ?

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Driving down the A11 overtook a minibus with two blow up dolls tied to the back one had Delia''s face the other Stephen Fry''s. Seemed everybody was taking photos as they went past, anybody got one ?[/quote]One of my mates was in that minibus. The pictures went viral when the Lad bible retweeted them. Stephen Fry also retweeted.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/11038470_10153341372186738_481861650656303724_n_zps9vuw8xyk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/11038470_10153341372186738_481861650656303724_n_zps9vuw8xyk.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

morty wrote the following post at 07/06/2015 4:54 PM:

CANARYKING wrote:

Driving down the A11 overtook a minibus with two blow up dolls tied to the back one had Delia''s face the other Stephen Fry''s. Seemed everybody was taking photos as they went past, anybody got one ?

One of my mates was in that minibus.

The pictures went viral when the Lad bible retweeted them. Stephen Fry also retweeted.

They past us, excellent decor.

Delia''s legs were fortunately at a discreet angle, unlike Mr Fry''s

Great thread Lakey and great stories on here especially from fellow PUPs Lessingham and Vindo. Makes me even more proud of our club and our community. For me it was definitely the best day of my 48 years following the Canaries. I went with my son, daughter and two of my grandkids. We all shared the trip with some great friends we met through PUPs which resulted in about a dozen of us all on the same bus from County Hall. We were accompanied by Nikki Fox from Look East. We weren''t sure what to expect, in fact at first we weren''t sure if we wanted to do it, but Nikki added to the enjoyment of the day and there wasn''t a single time we felt imposed upon.

Inside the stadium we didn''t have seats together. I was with my eldest grandson and seeing the smiles on his face and his pride in our team as we won so convincingly made me very emotional and at one point I had an attack of hayfever. Nikki had asked us if we''d get some mobile phone footage because the BBC weren''t allowed to film in the stadium. I failed miserably, I can understand the comments from some about this, so I gave up because continually trying would have spoiled my day. Luckily my daughter captured some on her phone. I''m pleased she did so that I could see the smile on my other grandson''s face.

We all came home together on the bus and I felt like everything about the day was perfect. Both the result and travelling companions. Because it was all put together for Look East I have a great record of the day to watch over again. Awesome!!!

[quote user="morty"][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/11038470_10153341372186738_481861650656303724_n_zps9vuw8xyk.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/11038470_10153341372186738_481861650656303724_n_zps9vuw8xyk.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/quote]

Cheers Morty, I''ll remember that day forever.

Ha ha , yeh we saw the inflatables!

Our story is not as interesting as Lessinghams

I was in Nottingham until late Sunday evening, and didn''t get to bed (back in Norfolk) until 12.45, then woke up at 4.30, and that was it! Drove to Stanmore, had croissants and milk from Wembley Lidl (I did tell you it wasn''t as interesting!)

A few hours in the Torch (great time) got talking to a guy and his wife, and it turns out he is Paul Kent who used to play for us back in the 70s!

Saw plenty of people I knew, which was great .

The match couldn''t have gone any better. I was telling my mates kids to have a look around and soak it all in, because these days don''t come round very often for City fans (I had bored them with my 30 years ago story)

At the final whistle, the emotion sank in, that I had watched MY team win a vitally important game, and at Wembley, and had played the perfect game, and I am in no way ashamed to say, that even though middle age is where I am, that I had some tears, just like 1985.

I had looked around the stands and saw the green and Yellow army, and I felt enormously PROUD. These were people that shared the same love that I have for MY (OUR) team, and it was great to see thousands upon thousands of Norwich fans in such ecstasy

I hadn''t celebrated goals like that before, except Simeon''s vs Derby, and Steve''s back in 85 , and I think my mates ribs are all ok now

I just wanted the day to go on and on.

Stopped at the service station on the way home, and it was awesome to see the place rammed with green and yellow, and I even managed to see the mate, who came with me to the 1985 final, which topped the day off

So so proud

If I have time to recollect before my last breath leaves my body, then that day will have it''s own place at the table

CTID

Nice thread LDC.

Memories for me include, piddling off a bridge on the North Circular cos our bus didn''t have a bog.

Thinking we were late late for the game, driving up to Wembly arriving an hour before kick off and being amazed as the Boro player coach passed us! What was that all about?

Getting so excited after the first goal that I turned round and kissed a very elderly lady behind me, who suprisingly didn''t seem to mind.

Telling the bird who served me a beer to keep the change and wondering why they charged £4.95 for a beer.( very generous me)

Standing for the whole game and thinking, well if you can do it here why do they make such a song and dance at CR.

Remembering the first 20 like we were playing the best footy I have seen all season,or ever, not really believing how brilliant we were, and just full, full, full of joy.😄