Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Player budget

Talk of £120m, £130m etc etc coming in next season,  but costs will rise going into the prem, salaries, increase in staff etc etc, so how much of that is actually there for buying players?    Player wages are going to be a lot higher, especially any new players brought in, so has anyone an idea of how much will actually be available for player purchase?  Would like to see some additions for next season, but just can''t see us

going out and spending £10m + on several players. If we buy just six

players at average of £4m each, that is only £24m (only!) spent.   

£120m sounds a heck of a lot, but we all know what a drain on money

actually being in the premiership means, but is it even possible we will be able to save some of the money rather than spend every available penny on players?   

This was a contentious point last season and some really struggled to grasp the concept of money in and out and seemingly how we wasted £17m (not seen him on here in a while), so guessing as we got promoted it wasn''t wasted.

Suspect we''ll end up spending somewhere in the region of £20m, potentially less of we can get money in for any players we let go but being realistic, none that we won''t want will be worth much.

You''re right, the costs do go up, mainly I suspect just in terms of player/coaching wages, additional payments for player promotions and bonuses.

I think with the structure of club there are no significant outlays planned as the infrastructure is in place.

You do realise a football club is business and therefore massive amount of money of any successful club will go in the pockets of its shareholders etc?

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]You do realise a football club is business and therefore massive amount of money of any successful club will go in the pockets of its shareholders etc?[/quote]That is not true in the case of Norwich City. No money goes to the vast majority of shareholders, and in most years none to any. As for our income in the season to come, it will be on a par with or a bit above that in the 2013-14 season, and so somewhere around £95m to £100m.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]You do realise a football club is business and therefore massive amount of money of any successful club will go in the pockets of its shareholders etc?[/quote]

Incorrect.

Rich T The Biscuit wrote the following post at 08/06/2015 2:47 PM:

This was a contentious point last season and some really struggled to grasp the concept of money in and out and seemingly how we wasted £17m (not seen him on here in a while), so guessing as we got promoted it wasn''t wasted.

RTB You obviously missed what happened last season - let me try & explain (I know you find even the most simple concepts difficult to grasp but I will try & help you) :-

The Board appointed a Part Time Radio Presenter as manager last May (after telling the fans he was the most suitable person for the job after searching the 4 corners of  Europe) - most of us were shocked but you and your cronies believed them

The Part Time Radio presenter then spent £17M plus of the Clubs money on a raft of players the majority of which will never wear a Norwich shirt in anger :-

Voo, Lafferty, Grangles, San Miquell, 2 x ancient centre backs who have now gone off into the sunset (thats 7 can you think of any more ?)

Adams was unable to manage our best Centre Half & he was sent on loan to one of our promotion rivals (supurb decision / not)

Mr Adams played a supurb brand of attacking football but was soon found out by other teams and it became apparent to those who watched games live that he only had Plan A

With the best squad in the League and a spend of £17M odd in the summer we reached the dizzy heights of 11th in Jan (the majority of fans were not happy with this but someof your colleagues thought it was fine)

The Board finally acted and Admas was given his old job back - David Mc D appointed Neil

Our best Centre Half returned from his loan with the team that eventually pipped us for automatic promotion and was an ever present for the rest of the season (we at last had someone in charge who could manage people)

With the squad from last season and the additions of only Jerone, Grabham & O''Neil  - Adams summer signings - we won a supurb play off final @ Wembley to gain promotion

David McD now has not only the Wolf to off load from the wages bill but the remainder of Adam''s summer transfer fiasco (detailed above - if Neil did not play them last season he certainly will not in the Prem)

RTB - I am sorry but as far as finance goes you go not have a scooby doo - suggest you major on threads regarding kit designs, rude comments about Ipswich and the quality of our pies in future. Leave grown up comments to others in future, theres a good boy

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lewis Esquire"]You do realise a football club is business and therefore massive amount of money of any successful club will go in the pockets of its shareholders etc?[/quote]

That is not true in the case of Norwich City. No money goes to the vast majority of shareholders, and in most years none to any. As for our income in the season to come, it will be on a par with or a bit above that in the 2013-14 season, and so somewhere around £95m to £100m.

[/quote]

To add to that did McNally (or Bowkett?) not say that one reason they were disappointed by making such a profit last tax year was not only because it was due to the relegation and not having to pay bonuses etc. but also because it meant that more money that had been generated wouldn''t be able to go into the football team as the tax bill would be higher?

Although the ordinary shareholders do not take a distribution from the company, presumably premier league status and the associated financial benefits, would be reflected in the capital value of the company on disposal and attributable to the ordinary shareholders under such a circumstance.

[quote user="Newton"]

The Board finally acted and Admas was given his old job back - David Mc D appointed Neil

[/quote]

Absolute genius.

[quote user="Newton"]

RTB You obviously missed what happened last season - let me try & explain (I know you find even the most simple concepts difficult to grasp but I will try & help you) :-

The Board appointed a Part Time Radio Presenter as manager last May (after telling the fans he was the most suitable person for the job after searching the 4 corners of  Europe) - most of us were shocked but you and your cronies believed them

The Part Time Radio presenter then spent £17M plus of the Clubs money on a raft of players the majority of which will never wear a Norwich shirt in anger :-

Voo, Lafferty, Grangles, San Miquell, 2 x ancient centre backs who have now gone off into the sunset (thats 7 can you think of any more ?)

Adams was unable to manage our best Centre Half & he was sent on loan to one of our promotion rivals (supurb decision / not)

Mr Adams played a supurb brand of attacking football but was soon found out by other teams and it became apparent to those who watched games live that he only had Plan A

With the best squad in the League and a spend of £17M odd in the summer we reached the dizzy heights of 11th in Jan (the majority of fans were not happy with this but someof your colleagues thought it was fine)

Our best Centre Half returned from his loan with the team that eventually pipped us for automatic promotion and was an ever present for the rest of the season (we at last had someone in charge who could manage people)

With the squad from last season and the additions of only Jerone, Grabham & O''Neil  - Adams summer signings - we won a supurb play off final @ Wembley to gain promotion

David McD now has not only the Wolf to off load from the wages bill but the remainder of Adam''s summer transfer fiasco (detailed above - if Neil did not play them last season he certainly will not in the Prem)

RTB - I am sorry but as far as finance goes you do not have a Scooby doo - suggest you major on threads regarding kit designs, rude comments about Ipswich and the quality of our pies in future. leave grown up comments to others in future, theres a good boy

[/quote]

Just give it up Newton. You are beyond boring with this repetitive shite that you post at every opportunity. Coming from you the last paragraph is priceless.

[quote user="cornish sam"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lewis Esquire"]You do realise a football club is business and therefore massive amount of money of any successful club will go in the pockets of its shareholders etc?[/quote]That is not true in the case of Norwich City. No money goes to the vast majority of shareholders, and in most years none to any. As for our income in the season to come, it will be on a par with or a bit above that in the 2013-14 season, and so somewhere around £95m to £100m.[/quote]

To add to that did McNally (or Bowkett?) not say that one reason they were disappointed by making such a profit last tax year was not only because it was due to the relegation and not having to pay bonuses etc. but also because it meant that more money that had been generated wouldn''t be able to go into the football team as the tax bill would be higher?

[/quote]Yes, Sam. We were expecting to break even but ended up making a profit of around £6m because we didn''t have to pay out various bonuses to players and other staff. But it also meant we were hit with a £2.5m corporation tax bill.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Although the ordinary shareholders do not take a distribution from the company, presumably premier league status and the associated financial benefits, would be reflected in the capital value of the company on disposal and attributable to the ordinary shareholders under such a circumstance.[/quote]Up to a point, Highland, but without Neil Lennon as manager we are not guaranteed to stay in the Premier League.

I think you will find the current shareholders do not take anything from the club but they have a history of very poor management appointments who have then wasted club funds on poor transfer dealings (with the current shareholders consent) - Turned around following appointment of David McD

In the summer that we were relegated to L1 Gunn wasted so much money on players (on reflection he probably had little choice as the previous manager had been allowed to sell any one who could walk to invest in aged loan signings leaving us with around 8 players that summer) that just after he was sacked and replace by Lambert we were apparently on the verge of going into Liquidation

This mess had been going on and getting worse for years and was only turned around by the appointment of David McD as CEO

[quote user="Newton"]

I think you will find the current shareholders do not take anything from the club but they have a history of very poor management appointments who have then wasted club funds on poor transfer dealings (with the current shareholders consent) - Turned around following appointment of David McD

In the summer that we were relegated to L1 Gunn wasted so much money on players (on reflection he probably had little choice as the previous manager had been allowed to sell any one who could walk to invest in aged loan signings leaving us with around 8 players that summer) that just after he was sacked and replace by Lambert we were apparently on the verge of going into Liquidation

This mess had been going on and getting worse for years and was only turned around by the appointment of David McD as CEO

[/quote]I do not think so.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 08/06/2015 3:58 PM:

Newton wrote:

RTB - I am sorry but as far as finance goes you do not have a Scooby doo - suggest you major on threads regarding kit designs, rude comments about Ipswich and the quality of our pies in future. leave grown up comments to others in future, theres a good boy

Just give it up Newton. You are beyond boring with this repetitive *** that you post at every opportunity. Coming from you the last paragraph is priceless.

Glad you responded Till - the post above describes you and your mates perfectly - what do you think about the pies as you have little opinion about anything else ?

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 08/06/2015 4:08 PM:

Newton wrote:

Newton wrote:

I do not think so.

Purple your love for the current Board is honourable but get real look at the figures, Delia not able to invest a cent more, another season of decline under her guidancce and we would have gone t.ts ups

One of the reasons for the build up of debt at that time was a direct result of the Grant Roder Gunn appointments - all down to the Board at the time

Mc D saved us sorry you are soooo wrong   -  sorry

Canary Dogg wrote the following post at 08/06/2015 4:15 PM:

Morty what is your view on the OP? 😂😂😂

Why not - lets get the view of another Troll

I''m a current shareholder and I resent you blaming me for poor management appointments and wasting the clubs funds, if you do not withdraw that statement I may be forced to consider legal avenues, I''m sure all the other current shareholders on this message board concur with me. [:)]

Why do people find a need to be so offensive? It''s a bl--dy football forum for Jesus sake, not the Nuremburg rally.

Adams''s spending spree was, to a certain extent, financed by the sales of Snodgrass, Fer and Surman and, while not glaringly successful, brought in Jerome and Grabban who might do well next season. The former rather more likely than the latter.

I also feel that it is too early to rite Voo off. Assuming he finally gets back to full match fitness he could well justify his purchase if his cv is anything to.

McGrandles as bought for the future and came arrived with rave reviews. I haven''t seen him kick a ball so I cannot comment on this boy, but nevertheless feel it is too early to write him off. Miquel seems like a bit of a duck egg, but Thompson seems promising.

Perhaps we''ll even get some money back from the mistake that was Lafferty?

As this thread is primarily about our budget for the coming season, I would venture to suggest £20m or just a bit more. Somebody has made the point that we will get little from sales, either by choice or by dint of the fact that anybody who we would wish away would not bring in the millions, so it will be net expenditure this time around. We might get a few bob if Hooper wants away (£6m) and treble that if Redmond''s head is turned.

Is £20m too low? We have recently had pages of debate about ground expansion in which the overwhelming opinion seemed to be that the playing budge should be a priority. This budget leaves a bit in hand then, which can give us flexibility in wages negotiations (Berbatov?) at least.

It is also pretty low when compared with that of some of the expenditure that even moderate sides in the league will intend to spend in the coming weeks. 

Personally, I am reluctant to go above a ceiling of £8m for any one player, but this need not be a hard and fast rule should the right deal come along.

I think Newton, what PC meant was that we were not on the verge of liquidation, going into administration was a very real prospect, but liquidation is something else entirely that we would have been a long, long way from.

Also, to keep lumping VOO in with other ''wastes'' of money as you seem wont to is a bit harsh on the lad, he played part of a match, looked pretty good then got injured, was out for the bulk of the season and then AN didn''t think he was able to catch up with the rest of the group as he was a new signing who hadn''t even been able to train with his team mates for most of the time he was here. Some players you can just drop in regardless, some you can''t, I''m happy he didn''t risk finding out which as it might have derailed our form, but that doesn''t mean he was a waste of money and can''t be judged as such. Similarly, Miquel and McG are long term prospects (as is Thompson), they weren''t going to drop straight into the squad. So, that leaves Lafferty, Cueller and a loan player which I won''t argue at all about being wastes of money...

Adams...Delia....£17m.....Liquidation.......£17m......Delia......£17m......Adams.....Adams.......liquidation.......£17m......Delia......and on and on and on and on and on and on thread after thread after thread after feckin thread.

You have the nerve to ask my opinion. How about you just change the record for once ?

Good post LDC, and the sort of subject you would expect to discuss after our promotion, just hope the thread doesnt degenerate in to more of what we have being see so often on here lately....or has it already.

Anyway, it would be great if there was someone with a genuine handle on this subject who could give us some insight, but I guess unless you work for the club and/or understand the finances that''s not going to happen.

What we can perhaps do, for fun, is have a good guess at is what sort of comings and goings we might see, but how much the total bill will be after contract terminations, agents fees, salaries and other costs, we will never know...........even signing a player on GBP 30k a week (my guess of what our max could be) on a three year contract, with all things considered will cost way over GBP 5 million...and I am probably being conservative on that.

The squad could, in my view, probably stand a decent chance of survival without change when considering the way the Manager had it performing.

That said, all squads do need freshening up, particularly when there are always contracts coming to an end and players out of favour or who want to leave.

So, putting aside how much is coming in, and as we know it doesnt all come in at once, I expect to see a absolute maximum of five new quality additions to the squad, filling the spaces left by those expected departures already documented on this board several times.

One or two of those maybe on free transfers, who knows (i.e. Milner was free) and a couple may come close to our record signings in terms of transfer fees. So, the numbers we see in terms of transfer fees will only be a part of the overall cost of course.....but, I really do not expect the club NOT to spend significant sums if there are players on the top of their wish list they are in a position to sign.

It''s player wages, not cost of acquisition, which is the material issue. They have the potential to cripple a relegated club, even allowing for relegation clauses, yet there is a strong, positive correlation between wage spend and league position. In other words, even if you out perform from a football perspective in a given year, iultimately, if you spend less on wages than your competitors you will be relegated. Therefore, if emaining in the PL is an objective, we must spend as much as possible up to the FFP maximum. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the current owners have the financial backing that would facilitate an extended stay in the PL. Therefore, the search for new equity investment should continue to be a primary objective for the board.

[quote user="Newton"]

get real look at the figures, Delia not able to invest a cent more

Where has it been reported that Delia is unable or unwilling to invest further. 

One of the reasons for the build up of debt at that time was a direct result of the Grant Roder Gunn appointments - all down to the Board at the time

As you have been told numerous times on numerous threads when you have trotted this  tosh out at every opportunity the main bulk of the debt was as a direct result of having to rebuild the old South stand.

[/quote]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Why do people find a need to be so offensive? It''s a bl--dy football forum for Jesus sake, not the Nuremburg rally.

Adams''s spending spree was, to a certain extent, financed by the sales of Snodgrass, Fer and Surman and, while not glaringly successful, brought in Jerome and Grabban who might do well next season. The former rather more likely than the latter.

I also feel that it is too early to rite Voo off. Assuming he finally gets back to full match fitness he could well justify his purchase if his cv is anything to.

McGrandles as bought for the future and came arrived with rave reviews. I haven''t seen him kick a ball so I cannot comment on this boy, but nevertheless feel it is too early to write him off. Miquel seems like a bit of a duck egg, but Thompson seems promising.

Perhaps we''ll even get some money back from the mistake that was Lafferty?

As this thread is primarily about our budget for the coming season, I would venture to suggest £20m or just a bit more. Somebody has made the point that we will get little from sales, either by choice or by dint of the fact that anybody who we would wish away would not bring in the millions, so it will be net expenditure this time around. We might get a few bob if Hooper wants away (£6m) and treble that if Redmond''s head is turned.

Is £20m too low? We have recently had pages of debate about ground expansion in which the overwhelming opinion seemed to be that the playing budge should be a priority. This budget leaves a bit in hand then, which can give us flexibility in wages negotiations (Berbatov?) at least.

It is also pretty low when compared with that of some of the expenditure that even moderate sides in the league will intend to spend in the coming weeks. 

Personally, I am reluctant to go above a ceiling of £8m for any one player, but this need not be a hard and fast rule should the right deal come along.

[/quote]Actually the Nuremberg Rallies were oases of brotherly love and unity, with everybody, literally, singing from the same songsheet...

The problem is Broadstairs is that you get some in here that don''t want to contribute, they just want to spout all sort of rubbish and give their views in a way which makes them feel important.

Newton will never let drop the wasted £17m subject and every credit to him for sticking to his guns, but as was proved many times on that thread, he was the one that had no grasp of finances.

Anyway, it would have actually been nice had he come and commented on how much money he thought AN will spend in the summer or indeed needs to spend, although I suspect the answer will be none in case some of it is used on players that don''t quite make the grade!?!

Personally I quite enjoy the banter

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]Morty what is your view on the OP? 😂😂😂[/quote]It remains unchanged[:)]