Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

ODI cricket

[:D]Ok, not of Norwich City releevance, but it''s the silly season and I''ll make a connection later.

This game is already bubbling up into a good contest. The only thing I''ll have to come to terms with is the fact that they''ve got mauve stumps and pink bails.

Whatever next?

It reminds me of the time when Derek Pringle made his test match debut and Freddie Truman was the commentator.  All of a sudden Truman, noticed Pringle''s bodily adornment and on live TV shrieked out, with a tone of the aghast, "He''s wearing an earing. A bl--dy earing."

Poor Fred''s World had been turned upside down.

I''m not sure mine is by the colour of the pitch furniture at Edgbaston, but it''s a bit off-putting for a traditionalist like me.

Advertising rules as usual, this time it''s Royal London.

And  to Norwich City. I think that it would be a ground-breaking move if we were to paint our goalposts and the bar a spangled yellow and green. It would certainly add colour to the occasion. Anybody agree?[:)]

Would it be allowed?

It would in the Aviva colours, no doubt.

Wouldn''t be allowed.

Although the Premier League isn''t adverse from a sponsor or two, compared to other leagues there is actually relatively little allowed in the way of sponsorship on the pitch or player''s clothes.

Look at leagues across Europe where the players might have the main sponsor on the front, then a different one on their back (where the bloody player''s name should be) and in some cases more on the sleeves.

I believe from next season (or possibly the season after) it will no longer be the ''Barclays'' Premier League but just ''Premier League'' with the sponsorship dropped. In contrast to the FA Cup which shall become the Emirates FA Cup.

No, I doubt that it would be allowed.

It would be quite ghastly in reality.

I was not being very serious, but having said that, cricket is a game far more steeped in it''s traditional values than football ever was and they are now allowing Royal London and Vanity such advertising scope.

Well done to England.  Cricket is fine on a full size pitch, but in parks and gardens cricketers are a hazard - a danger to themselves and others.  Devoid of any sense in quite a lot of cases, they should be made to pass an official cricketing test before being allowed to play.  

Specific faults/dangers -

Bowling too close to windows or cars
Batting in single file too close to each other, making overtaking them difficult, the more batsmens together, the bigger the hazard.
Fast bowlers taking full length run-ups on pavements full of pedestrians (saw two doing this in Keswick the other day and resulting in a nasty collision with someone innocently stepping out of a shop).
Ignoring umpire''s signals.
Not using floodlights when they are there and clearly marked,  why, I don''t know.......
Not using pads or gloves and then complaining when they get hit in a painful place
Turning for a second run, without consideration for traffic around them who are finding it difficult enough to judge when to overtake them.
Wearing leg pads and cricket hats and therefore even more unaware of  things around them
Wearing batting helmets that were designed for aliens. 
Treating the road like their own personal net.

I know there are some decent cricketerss out there (there must be, by the law of averages) but they are outnumbered by the sheer planks that bowl around without a thought for their own safety and that of other road users.  Hockey players are a hazard too, but single brain cell cricketers that bowl at 60mph or more without so much as a single lesson are something that should be dealt with by more regulation.  Make them pay for lessons and a test - if they can afford all the fancy gear, they can afford a little towards becoming safer on the road, for themselves and others. 

A lad was just cycling past our house with a fishing rod on his back, he got knocked right off his bike by stray cricket ball.

Bleedin'' cats!!

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Well done to England.  Cricket is fine on a full size pitch, but in parks and gardens cricketers are a hazard - a danger to themselves and others.  Devoid of any sense in quite a lot of cases, they should be made to pass an official cricketing test before being allowed to play.  
Specific faults/dangers -
Bowling too close to windows or cars
Batting in single file too close to each other, making overtaking them difficult, the more batsmens together, the bigger the hazard.
Fast bowlers taking full length run-ups on pavements full of pedestrians (saw two doing this in Keswick the other day and resulting in a nasty collision with someone innocently stepping out of a shop).
Ignoring umpire''s signals.
Not using floodlights when they are there and clearly marked,  why, I don''t know.......
Not using pads or gloves and then complaining when they get hit in a painful place
Turning for a second run, without consideration for traffic around them who are finding it difficult enough to judge when to overtake them.
Wearing leg pads and cricket hats and therefore even more unaware of  things around them
Wearing batting helmets that were designed for aliens. 
Treating the road like their own personal net.
I know there are some decent cricketerss out there (there must be, by the law of averages) but they are outnumbered by the sheer planks that bowl around without a thought for their own safety and that of other road users.  Hockey players are a hazard too, but single brain cell cricketers that bowl at 60mph or more without so much as a single lesson are something that should be dealt with by more regulation.  Make them pay for lessons and a test - if they can afford all the fancy gear, they can afford a little towards becoming safer on the road, for themselves and others. [/quote]

How sad. Not so much yet another parody of one of my posts (one for which I immediately apologised, btw) but the sheer time you spent doing yet another one shows what you are like. Even a parody of the apology as well - you surpass yourself.  In case you had forgotten, who on the cycle thread started go away from the topic first??  Me or you?   1st reply on that thread -[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Is cycling a sport, or just a mode of transport?[/quote]So, is cricket a sport or just a few men standing/sitting around watching someone else hit a ball around?

Crabbycanary3 wrote the following post at 09/06/2015 9:39 PM:

Was he French?

Well come to think of it he was selling onions!😄