Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Kenny Sansom

Well, I think this is absolutely disgusting.

"Starting each day by downing a bottle of rose wine and necking bottles of Night Nurse to sleep."

Seriously? In this day and age, who the f*cking hell drinks Rosé?

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I just love the compassion shown on this forum.[/quote]Man cheats on his wife then drinks himself homeless.Like I said, if he hadn''t been a footballer not one single person would care.Yeah its a shame, but he had a good head start in life, and a good income to set himself up well.And rose wine ffs.

The elephant in the room is that depression, alcoholism and suicide are the biggest killers of menMore men commit suicide under the age of 70 than die from prostate cancer but no media campaign and fun runs for that cause.Suicide is the leading cause of death in men aged 20 to  34I dont believe that he deserves any more sympathy that anyone else in the same position but depression and alcoholism should not be looked at as conditions that can be shrugged off or put down to a weak character.Whether someone "had it all" and lost it or never had it in the first place really does not matter. Drink and depression feed off each other and slowly drag some people into a downwards spiral that they cannot break on their own.Perhaps mocking people, men in particular with depression is one of the main contributory factors in stopping men seeking help early and the high rates of male suicide.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]The elephant in the room is that depression, alcoholism and suicide are the biggest killers of menMore men commit suicide under the age of 70 than die from prostate cancer but no media campaign and fun runs for that cause.Suicide is the leading cause of death in men aged 20 to  34I dont believe that he deserves any more sympathy that anyone else in the same position but depression and alcoholism should not be looked at as conditions that can be shrugged off or put down to a weak character.Whether someone "had it all" and lost it or never had it in the first place really does not matter. Drink and depression feed off each other and slowly drag some people into a downwards spiral that they cannot break on their own.Perhaps mocking people, men in particular with depression is one of the main contributory factors in stopping men seeking help early and the high rates of male suicide.

[/quote]Great post, and perhaps makes my points seem slightly flippant.But only someone who really knows him will know whether he is just a bit of a pi$$head loser, or has genuinely been diagnosed with depression.I doubt The Daily Mirror cares either way.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Molly Windley"]The elephant in the room is that depression, alcoholism and suicide are the biggest killers of menMore men commit suicide under the age of 70 than die from prostate cancer but no media campaign and fun runs for that cause.Suicide is the leading cause of death in men aged 20 to  34I dont believe that he deserves any more sympathy that anyone else in the same position but depression and alcoholism should not be looked at as conditions that can be shrugged off or put down to a weak character.Whether someone "had it all" and lost it or never had it in the first place really does not matter. Drink and depression feed off each other and slowly drag some people into a downwards spiral that they cannot break on their own.Perhaps mocking people, men in particular with depression is one of the main contributory factors in stopping men seeking help early and the high rates of male suicide.

[/quote]Great post, and perhaps makes my points seem slightly flippant.But only someone who really knows him will know whether he is just a bit of a pi$$head loser, or has genuinely been diagnosed with depression.I doubt The Daily Mirror cares either way.[/quote]

Was`nt having a dig at anyone but had heard some item on the radio a few

weeks ago and was stunned by what they said about suicides and

depression rates in men.That was followed up recently by the case of Clarke Carlisle and several articles were produced on the subject of depression in footballers.Names like Samson, Speed, Gazza, Carlisle, Collymore and Leon Mckenzie to name

just a few that spring to mind.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23226524http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10739111/One-in-four-footballers-suffer-depression-study-reveals.html

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Molly Windley"]The elephant in the room is that depression, alcoholism and suicide are the biggest killers of menMore men commit suicide under the age of 70 than die from prostate cancer but no media campaign and fun runs for that cause.Suicide is the leading cause of death in men aged 20 to  34I dont believe that he deserves any more sympathy that anyone else in the same position but depression and alcoholism should not be looked at as conditions that can be shrugged off or put down to a weak character.Whether someone "had it all" and lost it or never had it in the first place really does not matter. Drink and depression feed off each other and slowly drag some people into a downwards spiral that they cannot break on their own.Perhaps mocking people, men in particular with depression is one of the main contributory factors in stopping men seeking help early and the high rates of male suicide.

[/quote]Great post, and perhaps makes my points seem slightly flippant.But only someone who really knows him will know whether he is just a bit of a pi$$head loser, or has genuinely been diagnosed with depression.I doubt The Daily Mirror cares either way.[/quote]

Was`nt having a dig at anyone but had heard some item on the radio a few

weeks ago and was stunned by what they said about suicides and

depression rates in men.That was followed up recently by the case of Clarke Carlisle and several articles were produced on the subject of depression in footballers.Names like Samson, Speed, Gazza, Carlisle, Collymore and Leon Mckenzie to name

just a few that spring to mind.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23226524http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10739111/One-in-four-footballers-suffer-depression-study-reveals.html

[/quote]Makes you wonder if footballers are "more at risk"But of course I know that depression does not respect position or income, it just makes bigger headlines if its a footballer, I doubt very much its a real precursor, but maybe the highs and lows of participating in top level sports mean its more accentuated in someone who was likely to show symptoms anyway.Men are terrible at dealing with such things though.

Truly tragic.What makes it even worse is that it is the stories of tens of thousands of others that will never attract the publicity.

I like a drink more than most, it can sometimes feel like it helps in the immediacy of the moment but when you''re "down there" it just exacerbates things.

Never think that you know somebody because they seem like the life and soul while you''re around them, the door that slams them in the ass on the way out of the pub might just be the heaviest one.

It''s properly taboo and there''s no such thing as a course of man-up pills. Folk look down on these guys and mistake a need for a helping hand as a self-pitying cry.

When people are at that low, I''d rather try and support them and pull them back up than be the poorly educated dimwit that stands on their head.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]I like a drink more than most, it can sometimes feel like it helps in the immediacy of the moment but when you''re "down there" it just exacerbates things.

Never think that you know somebody because they seem like the life and soul while you''re around them, the door that slams them in the ass on the way out of the pub might just be the heaviest one.

It''s properly taboo and there''s no such thing as a course of man-up pills. Folk look down on these guys and mistake a need for a helping hand as a self-pitying cry.

When people are at that low, I''d rather try and support them and pull them back up than be the poorly educated dimwit that stands on their head.[/quote]I hear all that, but why is he doing, frankly staged, pictures for the Daily Mirror?Maybe the life he has lead has bought superficial fiends?But agree with all your points.

[quote user="morty"]

Makes you wonder if footballers are "more at risk"But of course I know that depression does not respect position or income, it just makes bigger headlines if its a footballer, I doubt very much its a real precursor, but maybe the highs and lows of participating in top level sports mean its more accentuated in someone who was likely to show symptoms anyway.Men are terrible at dealing with such things though.

[/quote]

There is some controversy over the statistics but there is a view that professional (ex-) cricketers are significantly more prone to suicide than the average. According to a survey by one psychologist cricketers are the most at risk out of all the major sports.One argument is based on the lack (compared to, say, football) of opportunities to stay involved in the game after retirement. There are just  not that many coaching jobs to go around, so people who have been playing the game non-stop for a couple of decades find a huge hole in their life.There is also the idea that the precarious nature of the game, particularly for batsmen, whose next ball can always be their last, is overly stressful.

It wasn''t a dig at you Morty, far from it, and the paper situation doesn''t help. But, he''s probably desperate, having lost so much. I don''t know. People do strange things, I just hope that rather than facilitating the next binge it helps him get some assistance.

[quote user="Paus Ferry"]It wasn''t a dig at you Morty, far from it, and the paper situation doesn''t help. But, he''s probably desperate, having lost so much. I don''t know. People do strange things, I just hope that rather than facilitating the next binge it helps him get some assistance.[/quote][Y]Its a funny thing, we have all maybe been in dark places, personally I''d rather square my own sh1t away rather than "go public"

MW, that is one of the best posts I have read on here for a long time.

It is all very sad, hopefully stories about higher profile people with these problems will bring more attention to the problem in general for others.

Just one thing that springs to mind here, as it does when ever I read about Paul Gasgoine. That is, I am sure when he was at the top of his game and wedged up he had plenty of friends........I wonder how many of those friends are still associated with him at a time of need?

That was what concerned me DM. The fact that he just wanted ''a room'' , surely, one of his''friends'' had a spare bed , somewhere.........?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I know a bit about mental illness and i can confirm depression does not drive people to drink RosÄ—. That is simply inexcusable.[/quote]

Is that a serious post or just another quip about the fact that the drink in question is Rose?   If it is serious, I''ll agree with you up to a point, but it can work both ways.   Which comes first - the chicken or the egg?  If you are depressed, the drinking can feel like a temporary solution, but it can lead to drink problems.  If you have a drink problem, it can lead to difficulties in your life that can lead on to depression.

Bor, I''m sure you''ll see that I could as easily spin that and throw it straight back at you. Using the term "A comedown of "Winehouse" proportions" is unacceptable but laughing about an alcoholics choice of tipple is?

Okey dokey.😉

As for having "no" sympathy for Amy, that''s quite a leap.

In any case, the real travesty is that there are countless people struggling with problems who haven''t had a career in the public eye and subsequently can''t use a platform like the media to appeal for support.

If any of these cases, be it Gazza, Kenny Sansom, Winehouse or Williams, raises people''s awareness - mine included - then that has to be a forward step.

Agree with Molly. As someone living with it I really can''t put into words what an absolute fu(king (unt depression is.

Feels a lot like being really sleep deprived a lot of the time, it''s difficult to motivate yourself to seek help when you just feel so damn sh1tty and apathetic.

It''s understandable why so many footballers seem to get this, especially ones who live on average or poor incomes now and missed the money boat since ''having it all''

It''s interesting that clubs get parachute payments to help with a huge loss or being booted from the promised land, but once players are no longer useful it''s perfectly okay for clubs to just say so long and good luck!

No sympathy at all for him cheating on his wife though, she was right to leave him for that but he shouldn''t be sleeping on the street ffs!

I think the difference with Winehouse was the way her alcoholism was almost glamourised ( bottles of drink left outside her house when she died ) it''s like young people almost admired her for it as binge drinking is part of modern culture.

sounds like Kenny has hit on hard times...

selfishness? Mental illness? Weakness? call it what you want and point the finger how you like, but any of us are 1 bad situation from being the next Kenny.

the Daily Mirror won''t care then... neither will anyone else.

A lot of flippant and uneducated responses on this board. How some of you can form a solid opinion on the subject matter without ever experiencing mental illness I''ll never know. Fortunately, posters such as Molly are offering more rounded and insightful posts.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]A lot of flippant and uneducated responses on this board. How some of you can form a solid opinion on the subject matter without ever experiencing mental illness I''ll never know. Fortunately, posters such as Molly are offering more rounded and insightful posts.[/quote]And how exactly do you know that opinions aren''t being formed without experience?