Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

The binners and their "history".

Dropping in on TWTD I''ve noticed yet another thread about "history". http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/346297/page:1#.VW882UYo_DcSo I thought I''d take a closer look at their "glorious" history........Ipswich Town football club proudly wear three stars on their shirts to mark three successful seasons.1961/62 Football League champions1978 FA Cup winners.1981 EUFA Cup winners.To commemorate these achievements they proudly re-named the North Stand, the "Sir Bobby Robson Stand" and the South Stand, the "Sir Alf Ramsey Stand" after their two successful managers.All very commendable I hear you say. Yes it is except for one small detail........THEY''VE NEVER EVER PAID FOR THESE STANDS TO THIS DAY.It''s like sending a wreath to your grandads funeral and not paying the florist.At the time of the Evans buy-out they stated........"When we agreed to finance the building of the two new stands and

the Academy facilities with debt finance from Norwich Union, the

football market was very different.Despite the Club''s inability to

service this debt without starving the squad of funds, Norwich Union,

Barclays and Bank of Scotland have all remained extremely supportive of

the Board''s approach and we would like to place on record our immense

appreciation for their support, together with that of the many

supporters and sponsors who have all contributed in a variety of ways to

help keep the Club afloat.We have had two share issues and more

recently a number of high net worth investors have helped us to bridge

the "cash gap".
As we all know, Evans agreed to buy that debt (32m) at 20p in the pound (6.4m) and is still included in their £86m debt to him......"
MEI will acquire all of the debt which is owed by

the Club to Norwich Union and Barclays which amounts in total to £32.0

million.MEI will, therefore, effectively step into the shoes of Norwich

Union and Barclays.Thereafter this debt will be intra-group debt owed to

the Marcus Evans Group in its capacity as controlling shareholder of

the Club.
"http://web.archive.org/web/20080425005715/http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10272~1181533,00.html
Furthermore........"£1.0 million, owed by the Club to Bank of Scotland, which is secured on the Club''s training ground"Mr Evans kindly paid this debt and then the training ground was transferred to Marcus Evans

(Guernsey) with Town now

paying an annual rent of £40,000.Even their own shareholders were ripped off........"I bought my shares in the recent public share offers

by IT plc for £20 per share - what are they worth now and has Marcus

Evans paid the same price for the shares that he is buying?

While the Club is in the Championship and while it has some

£35.0 million of debt sitting ahead of the shareholders, the reality is

that the shares have little material value
other than the prospect of

potentially accruing some value if the Club were ever promoted to the

Premier League (and then after deducting the Club''s debt)."

And all this after they went into administration in 2003 paying just 5p in the pound to their creditors who included small businesses and the St John''s ambulance.

And they never want to talk about their Premier League record 9-0 defeat at Man Utd.Yep, they''ve got "history" all right".They just don''t realise it covers their whole miserable existence and not just three seasons.  

It''s all a big house of cards and has been for some time.

Each season gets more and more crucial. Their complacency about year on year improvement makes less and less sense as the debt grows.

One season in the PL will have little effect upon their perilous position. Evans will likely want his cut. The team will need to be re-vamped with quality, at enormous expense, and Premier League wages will need to be paid. They need at least three seasons up there and this equates to fantasy thinking.

The house of cards could topple at any time, and sooner rather than later if they prove unable to make their widely anticipated impact this season.

McCarthy will do a Bradley Wiggins out of sheer frustration at his lot and even relegation could be imminent.

Do they actually own anything, besides their mixed bag of players, a few stands sitting on Council land and a couple of statues? Oh, and that enormous trophy cabinet bursting at the seams with silverware. [:D]

Never in all my years of supporting NCFC have I witnessed such a large gap in the fortunes and prospects as  currently exists between the two clubs.

Lapps, It just requires the mention of "simple Suffolk Farm Hands" and I could almost imagine that you are CITY 1ST.[Y]

Milne added: “Mick and Marcus make the decisions together. They regularly talk and discuss what they’re going to do next.

“Mick says what he thinks is needed and advises sensible valuations and then Marcus goes and tries to get the deal done.

“We just want to step up again next season and I can ensure supporters that the right resources are there to do that.”

Evans: "Hi Mick."

MMc: "Hi Marcus. Nice ski mask. Look, I''m interested in Cody MacDonald. Reckon about £100,000 would get him."

Evans: "Leave it to me Mick."

<>

Evans: "Er...Hello, is that Gillingham? How much for Cody MacDonald? £250k? Okay, thanks..."

Evans: "Sorry Mick, they want £250k and I just can''t stretch that far."

MMc: "Oh well, thanks Marcus. How about Jamie Cureton? Reckon about £25k for him. If it helps, Tyrone Mings has agreed to sell a kidney."

Evans: "That won''t be necessary, I need to sell him in one piece."

etc etc etc

If you have no present or future then I guess you have to live in the past. Let them get on with it, they are completely irrelivent to us. It''s highly unlikely we will play each other on a level playing field anytime in the foreseeable future. Even when seasons occur like the one just gone because of the financial gulf that exists between the two clubs they just can''t compete.

I liked this bit“Against that, the final number of season tickets sold – including the

half season tickets – was up by 10 per cent. In 2013/14 the fees we got

from TV matches was £80k, this last season we got £320k.

Should have no bother getting Cody McDonald with that sort of cash.[:D]

"MMc: "Oh well, thanks Marcus. How about Jamie Cureton? Reckon about £25k for him. If it helps, Tyrone Mings has agreed to sell a kidney." Evans: "That won''t be necessary, I need to sell him in one piece."

[:D][:D][:D] 

Funniest thing on here for weeks. 

In reality they''re hugely embarrassed by the gulf between the two clubs. They haven''t even looked like beating us for 6 years. They''re embarrassed about that mind the gap bollox. They''re embarrassed about waving money at us as they heralded their saviour the boy mucus. And all the time the gulf is widening.

Will Portmanking be back anytime soon to tell us how our club should approach the coming season? He was full of advice last summer....

Clutching at straws was invented for TWTD, as they are trying to ridicule us by talking about open top bus parades, and mocking old shirts, never mind the gulf in class, and bank account, hey Binners?

JFgot it spot on with his line

"If you have no present or future then I guess you have to live in the past"

[quote user="ricardo"]I liked this bit“Against that, the final number of season tickets sold – including the

half season tickets – was up by 10 per cent. In 2013/14 the fees we got

from TV matches was £80k, this last season we got £320k.

Should have no bother getting Cody McDonald with that sort of cash.[:D][/quote]They couldn''t afford his wages Ricky. [:D]

Surely there comes a point where history becomes completely irrelevent.

I wonder if Preston fans harp on about winning the league and cup double in 1888 without losing a game in the league or a conceding a goal in the cup?

Do Uruguay even care they won the world cup in 1930 now there''s unlikely anyone left alive to remember it?

recent history is impressive, the last 10 years... but for me anything beyond that becomes a bit of a joke... England and any mention of 1966 springs to mind...

The binners only hang on to what happened before a large majority of their fan base was born because they have no future to get excited about...

There was a program on the television recently about the White Horse final at Wembley in 1922 (where 200, 000 to 250, 000 squeezed in, believe.) which was won by Bolton. Bolton were to go onto win two more finals before the decade was out. God knows how many league victories and F.A. Cups they had accrued before this, or were to accrue after.

The point you made crossed my mind, and Bolton fans are not re-known for boasting about their past, just like Huddersfield, Blackpool and others. A lot of the older supporters will harp on about the good old days, but this is not in a boastful way.

Even more recently, Villa fans, and I know a few Brummies , recognise but do not constantly  harp on about past successes, including the big one.

Ipswich is a relatively small, relatively out of the way community (come on pinpoint it exactly on a blank map of England.)  and the small-time thinking reflects this. Their ''history'' is a big thing there because fame and recognition has generally passed them by. The town only has to be mentioned on Pointless or The Chase and it will get a proud mention on TWTD and "did you see those two Town supporters at the test match today." is a regular. I quite like the Town, but there is something about the inhabitants that places them somewhere out there with the fairies.

agreed Broadstairs... to some extent I kind of get why Ipswich fans do it... there are clubs out there who harp on about history constantly!!

Liverpool are the most odious of all of them! the longer they go without a league title the funnier it all gets...

Yes, Liverpool fans do go on a lot, but at least their past achievements were of epic proportions and they remain a World re-known club. The ITFC boasting borders on the embarrassment to the extent that you have to ask yourself. "Just what are they talking about?"

The Scousers are, in general, very proud of their past. You still can''t go into some City centre pubs without having Beatles music being blasted out all night. 

It''s a great fun place to spend a week-end and the people can be hilarious. My indoctrination there was typical having a crappy old taxi from the station to my destination with the radio blaring out all the time and the cheerful taxi driver in non-stop talking mood. I couldn''t get much of what he was say though, but must have nodded and smiled at the right times because we ended up the best of friends.

I think I''d pass on a week-end in Ipswich, although the beer can be good

I''ve no beef against LFC and would like to see them on the up again to challenge Man. U. and Chelsea. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]agreed Broadstairs... to some extent I kind of get why Ipswich fans do it... [/quote]It is the only thing they can throw our way jas. While we look to the future, they look back.

It''s very true, re: binners compared to others (and they only have one more star than us if we decided to go down that path) - Forest went on the history angle this season, but they actually have something worthwhile to back it up in reasonably recent memory - a European cup double for starters, and 2 league cups in 89 and 90....those alone pee on the binners fire without even looking for anything else!

The thing with the binners is that they are embarrassed by their recent past and their present. Totally embarrassed about the nonentity they have become. And the only future they can see is as bleak as the last ten or so seasons. So for those old enough to remember their good times, and even those who aren''t, the dim and distant past is the only glimmer of light in their gloom. 

We are unbeaten in the last six vs the binmen, the last time they had a run equalling this, it started in the 1982/83 season, and that was AGES ago.
I don''t know when we will play them again, but it is unlikely that if we do, it will be in the Prem, therefore if it is because we do happen to go down next season with AN, we will beat them twice again in our "bounceback" season. [:D]

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]''Bounceback season'' Daz? It could happen, and if it''s like the season just finished, then bring it on![/quote]
The way McNally has set things since Adams went in January seems to be a plan with AN at the centre, and it appears that IF we do happen to get relegated next season, McNally wants to see AN still here, and the vast majority of the squad still here. A combination we have seen is somewhat "useful" in the Champs. Especially so for beating the binners and extending that recent run.

Ever worked with someone who always refers to what they used to do, if somebody had just done something, they had done it bigger and better, really annoying aren''t they, we usually refer to them as "when i''s", thats 1p5wich all over, when i''s. Cant produce the goods anymore so live on yesterday''s memories.

Eton College have won the FA Cup more times than Ipswich, I''m not sure if the school uniform can double up as workwear at McDonalds with a couple of stars adorning the epaulettes?

Of course they''d be quick to point out that this happened a long time ago and as such has little relevance in the modern game, equally we would very much say the same I''d imagine.

Bless them, they''re clinging on with grandiose tales of ''Grandads medals'' and yet in reality they know very well we are now light years ahead of them.

We''ll never be them, thank fu(k for that! I would have always followed my local club, I couldn''t be anymore happier I was born north of the county line.

I''m 23 and would never have seen them win anything and wouldn''t have a chance of ever seeing them win anything again. More championship mediocrity, impending financial collapse, extremely fickle, quiet fanbase, boring kit, horrible badge and nickname etc. As far as this little rivalry goes the 20th century was theirs, the 21st is ours.

We''re about to do a Stoke/Swansea/Southampton as well, the club is so well run and Alex Neil is just so good we''re finally going to establish ourselves in the PL. I''m certain we''ll pick up at least 1 trophy in the next decade as well and play in the europa league, exciting huh! A much better prospect than having to relive those glory days squinting at black and white pictures