Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Press Conference...at Palace

http://www.football365.com/news/story_158461.shtml

Could just be that they are announcing that Johnson is definitely staying, but could be that he is going. Which I think would be good news for us.

And if he is going then they''ll have plenty of money to buy Francis. Would be interesting to see which pull is the stronger for him...going back to South London or playing in the Prem.

Anyway we''ll see tomorrow.

Sky sports news said AJ will attend the press conference, which suggests to me that he is staying/has signed a new contract. I doubt he would be present if he was to leave.

[quote]http://www.football365.com/news/story_158461.shtml Could just be that they are announcing that Johnson is definitely staying, but could be that he is going. Which I think would be good news for us. ...[/quote]

would there be a press conference to announce a player is leaving?

[quote]would there be a press conference to announce a player is leaving?[/quote]

doubt it, but this IS palace we are talking about.

i could just imagine their fans reaction!

sounds like simon jordan convinced AJ to give it till XMas and that if at that stage, they are not challenging for promotion, then he promises to sell him.

that''s what it may be -- even tho it wont be disclosed that way tomorrow.

Hello, friendly Palace fan here, hope you don''t mind me coming onto this board - I''ve always liked NCFC.From what I''ve heard, you''re ideas are correct - AJ will be staying until January at least (bare in mind I don''t actually know). Here''s hoping lol.Palace and Norwich for the automatics!

hi eagle, i think you have done very well to hang on to AJ. It shows Palace are serious about promotion. You have the second top scorer in the premiership playing in the championship

[quote]According to the press this morn he''s signing a 4 year deal worth 24K a week!! The words eggs and basket spring to mind![/quote]

I agree DD - looks like AJ has taken the money rather than further his career and with no one really sniffing around him (spurs and liverpool only really asked a question) perhaps AJ has made the right choice.   

As far as Palace are concerned a team consists of 11 quality players - not one very good striker with poor back up.

Or is it a case of rying to boost the transfer fee as city did with the resigning of Dave Watson days before he moved to Everton?

To be honest this does not bother me much as we have rebuilt our own squad very effectivley during the summer.

OTBC

[quote]hi eagle, i think you have done very well to hang on to AJ. It shows Palace are serious about promotion. You have the second top scorer in the premiership playing in the championship[/quote]

Yep totally agree with you. I definitely think that we''ll be going for the automatics now.

Same can be said with Norwich and Ashton though - Ashton is/will be better than AJ IMO, and will probably be the next Alan Shearer.

[quote]Yep totally agree with you. I definitely think that we''ll be going for the automatics now. Same can be said with Norwich and Ashton though - Ashton is/will be better than AJ IMO, and will probably be...[/quote]

eagle101: great to hear your predictions about our chances this year and your view on our squad. Me and my friend (Evil Monkey) were talking about Palaces situation this year and apart from AJ, who else in your squad will be influential this year considering Routledge has gone and Kiraly looks set to leave? Fitz Hall? Darren Ward?

IMO we have Ashton, Huckerby, Green and possibly Francis and Shackell who are top drawer players in this division, what kind of list can Palace create to match them?

[quote]Yep totally agree with you. I definitely think that we''ll be going for the automatics now. Same can be said with Norwich and Ashton though - Ashton is/will be better than AJ IMO, and will probably be...[/quote]

Eagle 101: Hats off to Palace, they''re only doing what we are doing, holding on to our top asset.

Bloody West Ham are always ''sniffing'' around Deano, or so their thicky fans think.

But quess what?, it won''t happen. Have they been your way yet Eagle?.

Jamie Wright: Players that will do well in this division for us are: AJ, Jobi McAnuff, Michael Hughes, Jon Macken (if he can find his goal-scoring form again - fingers crossed), Fitz Hall, Darren Ward, Danny Butterfield, Gabor Kiraly. IMO we have the strongest defence in the league. Kiraly won''t be leaving because we''ve priced him out of a move (£4million - not that that surprises me).

1st Wizard: I think keeping AJ was a top priority, not only because it increases our chances of the automatics, but because of team morale. I''d imagine Southampton''s morale is at a low since losing half of their first team . Pardew said he''d love to sign AJ, but knew it wouldn''t happen, so it has been left at that.

[quote]eagle101: great to hear your predictions about our chances this year and your view on our squad. Me and my friend ( Evil Monkey ) were talking about Palaces situation this year and apart from AJ, who...[/quote]

It''s "My friend and I", son, mind your grammar...

Eagle, not so sure about your list of influential Palace players, I think that without AJ last season you''d have been relegated by Christmas, no offence!

But, as Jamie pointed out during our discussion, I am a little biased here, and you''re probably wondering what all this fuss about players like Shackell and Colin, etc....

Either way, I think it''ll be us and Palace up there in top two this season - my feeling, though, is that we''ll come out top, as I still feel you''re a little reliant on AJ when it comes to goals, whereas we''ve got McKenzie and Hucks, as well as decent back-up in Thorne... If he leaves in Jan, or gets injured, I think its safe to describe your situation from there as "fecked"...

[quote]Jamie Wright: Players that will do well in this division for us are: AJ, Jobi McAnuff, Michael Hughes, Jon Macken (if he can find his goal-scoring form again - fingers crossed), Fitz Hall, Darren Ward...[/quote]

Eagle 101: Suppose that''s not a bad selection of players. I forgot about McAnuff. Whenever I''ve seen him play he has been impressive. Similiar to Routledge I think. Should make an interesting season. I think it will be contested between ourselves, Palace and Wolves for the top two... and a selection of Southampton, Leeds, Reading, Ipswich, Leicester, Derby, Preston and Sheffield United for the play-offs.

Can''t wait, bring on Micky Adams'' boys!

i think Palace were going to be up there wether they had Johnson or not. I think Palace and Norwich will always be near each other in the league. Imo they are quite similiar

Speaking from a Palace perspective, certainly our defense looks rock solid going into the new season - Boyce, Ward, Hall, Granville and Kiraly is very strong at this level. Obviously up front we have AJ who should get a hatful this season (as will Ashton i''m sure), with other decent options including Macken and Freedman, both proven goal scorers at championship level and Sandor Torghelle, a regular starter for Hungary. However, in midfield we certainly lack a degree of creativity - McAnuff looks very sharp, but other options including Hughes, Aki, Kolkka, Watson, Leigertwood etc are all solid but perhaps lack the ability to consistently unlock defences. That was obviously one of Routledge''s strongpoints! We''re apparently after Bentley in an attempt to remedy the situation - do you think he''d do well at this level? And in what position is he most effective? Personally i''m very keen for us to snap him up for a season.

Anyway, all the best for the season ahead, it would be great if we could both get back up together. What''s the general feeling re promotion? Confident? I think you should be.

Absolutely loving this. The new season only 4 days away, banter between the fans, quality new signings and the suns shining down here in Somerset.  Me and the wife split up last night mind you, but hey, football''s back!!

Bit gutted AJ is staying at the Palace, but with Ashton, Hucks, Greeno, Marney and the rest, I am confident of our chances. Bring it on!!

[quote]It''s "My friend and I", son, mind your grammar... Eagle, not so sure about your list of influential Palace players, I think that without AJ last season you''d have been relegated by Christmas, no offe...[/quote]

None taken as it''s true, however would you have stayed up without Ashton? To be honest, I think we had an excellent Championship side, that was just not good enough for the Prem, and that''s the sad truth of it, which is why we should do alright.

If you have a look here:

http://wanadoo.oddschecker.com/wanadoo/mode/c/card/england-coca-colachampionship/scard/74

the bookies have us both down as equal on almost everything! I feel that this season, Norwich are gonna match Palace all the way, however I''m not sure what you feel about that?

You should let us win the title this season - you had it last time

[quote]None taken as it''s true, however would you have stayed up without Ashton? To be honest, I think we had an excellent Championship side, that was just not good enough for the Prem, and that''s the sad tr...[/quote]

If we didn''t have Ashton we would have gone down but...If we''d had Ashton from the start of the season we probably would have had the couple of extra points to stay up. All if''s and but''s really isn''t it. Hopefully there are none at the end of this season.

How did you hear about this great site Eagle101? Live locally? Visited here recently?

[quote]If we didn''t have Ashton we would have gone down but...If we''d had Ashton from the start of the season we probably would have had the couple of extra points to stay up. All if''s and but''s really isn''t...[/quote]

I''m a poster on HOL (www.holmesdale.net) a Palace fans'' site, and I heard it mentioned on there. There''s also a couple of Canaries who occasionally post on there actually.