Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Nicked from the Evening News

I''m not sure if I''m allowed to reproduce blogs on here but I think this one is worthy of a bigger audience so here goes......In my view: Sunday really is the best day for footballJack Sinclair

Thursday, June 11, 2015

9:17 AM

Like many others across the country, I wake up early on a Sunday

morning, travel to a muddy field and pay money for the privilege of

being kicked and sworn at for an hour and a half all in the name of fun.

That’s right, I play Sunday league football. “Grass-roots football”

as it’s also known (though I haven’t played on a pitch with grass in a

long time, mud and rusty metal roots football would be more

appropriate).In

my many years of playing the ugly game I have invented a set of rules

to live by to make the football fun whilst simultaneously ensuring you

don’t look like a complete idiot. These are the do’s and don’ts of

Sunday league.Do

go out the night before if you want to. An early night impresses nobody

and the rest of your team will be hungover, so it isn’t going to affect

the game.Don’t forget your stuff, nobody has spare water or a pair of size 13 boots to borrow. Stop asking.Do

use every cliché available “We’ve gone quiet” “AWAY!” “One of you” and

“straight in lads” should all be phrases actively encouraged on a

football pitch.Don’t be horrible to the ref. The standard of officiating should be equal to the standard the sport is played at.If

you can’t complete a five-yard pass without the ball flying out of play

then you’ve got no right to complain if the ref makes the odd mistake.Do

try to play it out from the back if you can. This usually creates more

problems than it solves but it does make your team look deceptively in

control for a moment, this is until the defender who has the ball is

under so much pressure he needs to smash it up field completely ruining

the illusion.Don’t

celebrate too vigorously. A gentle underarm fist pump followed by a

couple of high fives is more than enough. A knee slide looks ridiculous

if instead of doing it towards a stadium of fans, you’re on your knees

in front of a bewildered family of five and two crows fighting over a

crisp packet.Do mark someone at a corner. Pointing at players who aren’t being marked and shouting “Who’s got the big guy?” doesn’t count.Don’t

play like it’s a professional game. Pretty much everything professional

football is known for has no place on a Sunday league football pitch.

Feigning injury, attempting audacious 60-yard passes and numerous step

overs will impress nobody and make you enemy number one with their

massive central defender.

Do go to the pub

after the game. You turned up to the game a little bit hungover, so you

might as well finish the day with a beer or three.Bonus

points are awarded for watching a game in the pub and berating players

for making the same mistakes you made literally a couple of hours

earlier. As

the money and interest in professional football increases year on year I

am sad to say Sunday league football has declined in popularity

significantly recently. To think that in 10 years people might not get

the chance to play the sport they love on a rubbish pitch against a load

of overweight estate agents is devastating.There

needs to be real change to save what is left of grass-roots football

and living by these rules might just be a step in the right direction.

He forgot to mention that in Sunday football you''re allowed to take out lumps of the cocky 19 year old, the one that had a trial for the Leyton Os.

Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?

[quote user="Herman "]He forgot to mention that in Sunday football you''re allowed to take out lumps of the cocky 19 year old, the one that had a trial for the Leyton Os.

Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]Is it really though?My oldest lad plays in a league, so I am no stranger to standing on a cold, rainy sideline on a Sunday morning. Some of the venues have 4 or 5 pitches, and they are always packed with teams of all ages.

Really enjoyed that article and reminded me of my Sunday League days. In my last season , our Manager/Kit Man/Organiser got us tracksuit tops with our initials on (cringe!)

Some people may say that made us look professional, but in the nether regions of the North East Norfolk Sunday League, ''professional'' wasn''t the word our opponents used!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]He forgot to mention that in Sunday football you''re allowed to take out lumps of the cocky 19 year old, the one that had a trial for the Leyton Os.

Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]Is it really though?My oldest lad plays in a league, so I am no stranger to standing on a cold, rainy sideline on a Sunday morning. Some of the venues have 4 or 5 pitches, and they are always packed with teams of all ages.[/quote]I can only speak about my local area, but the Sunday leagues have shrunk from double figures to about 4.(Sorry threw out local rag so can''t give a definitive number). This lack of teams is quite noticable at my local park on a Sunday as well. No real hard evidence I''m afraid, but it does look like it''s shrinking.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]

Too many people out cycling......... [:(] 

[;)]

[/quote]Fat blokes in lycra or fat blokes in ill-fitting footy clobber!?

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="morty"][quote user="Herman "]He forgot to mention that in Sunday football you''re allowed to take out lumps of the cocky 19 year old, the one that had a trial for the Leyton Os.

Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]Is it really though?My oldest lad plays in a league, so I am no stranger to standing on a cold, rainy sideline on a Sunday morning. Some of the venues have 4 or 5 pitches, and they are always packed with teams of all ages.[/quote]I can only speak about my local area, but the Sunday leagues have shrunk from double figures to about 4.(Sorry threw out local rag so can''t give a definitive number). This lack of teams is quite noticable at my local park on a Sunday as well. No real hard evidence I''m afraid, but it does look like it''s shrinking.[/quote]Ah its a shame if it is then, people need to enjoy it while they are still young and fit enough to do so.I''d kill to be able to play again!

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]Too many people out cycling......... [:(]  [;)][/quote]Fat blokes in lycra or fat blokes in ill-fitting footy clobber!?[/quote]

Image result for fat footballer

[:S]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]Does anyone know why Sunday football is declining. Is it simply that people can''t be bothered?[/quote]Too many people out cycling......... [:(]  [;)][/quote]Fat blokes in lycra or fat blokes in ill-fitting footy clobber!?[/quote]  funny fat man playing football pics images photos 600x432 funny fat man playing football pics images photos

[:S][/quote]

Perhaps 6 a side has taken over which has increased massively in recent years. I do both. 11 a side is more for the weekends though as it takes up a fair few hours.

good shout about 5/6aside. Smaller pitch, less muddy, less to run - maybe even easier to get to. Also more chance of games happening with full teams - playing 11-aside has a risk or one or two players not turning up and fines happening.